Mini Poodle Has Pups A Week Early

mini girl

My girl has just given birth to two pups and they are about 7 or 8 days early - they are so much smaller than usual - this is her first litter - she has more to be born - do you think they have any chance - and what do you do. My first early litter.

Mated her on 14 February - early am - the pups only weigh about 118 gr do you think I have any chance of them surviving.

My girl has just given birth to two pups and they are about 7 or 8 days early - they are so much smaller than usual - this is her first litter - she has more to be born - do you think they have any chance - and what do you do. My first early litter.

Mated her on 14 February - early am - the pups only weigh about 118 gr do you think I have any chance of them surviving.

An update - its been such a sad night - my poor girl delivered 7 tiny puppies - lost 5 and two are still alive have left them with their mother - think she only carried them 52 days - if these two are still alive in the morning will see what we will do.

This is the first time this has happened - will take my girl to the vet in the morning and have her checked over - I know this happens but its just so heartbreaking.

Have you made sure they are feeding OK? At this stage they may need some topping up to keep them strong - perfectly survivable at this stage, so long as there are no other health problems.

Have you made sure they are feeding OK? At this stage they may need some topping up to keep them strong - perfectly survivable at this stage, so long as there are no other health problems.

They are not feeding I have been awake most of the night. The two pups have no hair and look so tiny - I have divetalact would that be worth giving them an eye dropper of. Mother keeps licking them but they not gettin on the teat - she seems to have no milk either.

Get some of that milk inside them, make sure they are warm and hydrated, feeding every couple of hours.

Have given them a dropper of divetalact - one seems to be gasping - this does not look good - but will keep trying - thanks so much for your advice. Will do all I can.

Warmth is of the upmost inportance & try getting them onto mum, this will help her milk come in ,also supp feed every 2 hrs .

A vet check would be advisable .

Ive had premmie babies survive ,but its a lot of work ,wishing u all the best .

Thank you for the kind words but have just come back from the vet only one pup left now and failing fast - have taken her away from her mum and just letting her go peacfully - they only weighed about 84 gr so not much hope. The vet said this pup won't make it - they were really due about the 15th so nearly 10 days early was too much to hope for I guess. My girl is good the vet said nothing retained and temp fine and seems to be coping ok. Will try and find out what caused the early delivery - she was off her food the last few days had to hand feed her and was so mopy since she became pregnant. The vet said that perhaps she got a mild infection that brought them on just don't know. So very sad and it breaks my heart to have to tell the people waiting there will be no puppy.

Will give my girl lots of love she looks at me with such a trusting face I cry when I look at her.

Thank you for the kind words but have just come back from the vet only one pup left now and failing fast - have taken her away from her mum and just letting her go peacfully - they only weighed about 84 gr so not much hope. The vet said this pup won't make it - they were really due about the 15th so nearly 10 days early was too much to hope for I guess. My girl is good the vet said nothing retained and temp fine and seems to be coping ok. Will try and find out what caused the early delivery - she was off her food the last few days had to hand feed her and was so mopy since she became pregnant. The vet said that perhaps she got a mild infection that brought them on just don't know. So very sad and it breaks my heart to have to tell the people waiting there will be no puppy.

Will give my girl lots of love she looks at me with such a trusting face I cry when I look at her.

If I had to guess I would say a premature drop in progesterone levels.

So sorry for your loss, what a heartbreaking situation, but your girl is alive and well :confused:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts - its is a bit hard to take but will see if I can get any ansers just why it happened - my girl is still so sad and looking for the puppies it does make me feel so sad for her but I'm sure we will get past it - spoke to a few good friends/breeders yesterday all of whic have had a lost litter along the way - seems faily common sadly. Had a good nights sleep and starting to feel a little better - My girl curled up beside me all night and she got lots of cuddles - guess they get over it eventually.

Will post any information I find out as to the cause when I have something to go on.

Thanks again

So sorry to hear about the loss of your puppies. My girl is due on the 16th and I know I would be devastated if this happened. So glad the mum is fine and hope you can both recover quickly. :thumbsup:

Good luck with your babies. Thank you for the thoughts.