Dog Trailer

Carluke

Just looking for some thoughts really.

We are looking at replacing our dog trailer towards the end of the year and I am really just thinking aloud. What are peoples thoughts for a six berth with wardrobe - would you go for tandem or single wheels ? pro's and con's please.

Cheers Kate

Edited by Carluke

I Have just had a custom built trailer made for Great Danes...just over 6 meters in length...it is a tandem, brakes, wardrobe etc...it tows like a dream...my understanding was that most trailers only have the capacity for max weight 750 kilos...now with all the extra stuff we take to shows..umbrellas/gazebos/water/crates etc etc...it all weighs a tone...this trailer has a capacity of 2 tone...funnily when I first got it I was scared to tow it...but I am slowly getting used to it..it is about 3-4 months old...safety is always paramount when it comes to my babies so that is why I opted for a tandem...not sure what state you live but if you want to have a look see...to get some ideas, your more than welcome to have a look at it...I'm in Victoria and I will be at Bulla this weekend... :p

Just looking for some thoughts really.

We are looking at replacing our dog trailer towards the end of the year and I am really just thinking aloud. What are peoples thoughts for a six berth with wardrobe - would you go for tandem or single wheels ? pro's and con's please.

Cheers Kate

If you can afford to buy a tandem unit, you'll be very glad you did.

We have a small dual which is excellent.we brought a second hand 6 berth which is single but by choice we would buy dual .

The price & condition of the second hand one was too good to knock back.

We only travel 5 mins to our show grounds so easy to get away with but if doing distance travel dual all the way & great when you get a flat

Tandoms tow better and back easier but you'd be looking at a custom job for 4 berths and under I reckon.

For a six berth wardrobe job, I'd definitely be looking at dual axle.

Edited by poodlefan

I would after much thought and consideration go with a tandem trailer next time I build one. My recent trailer is only about 6 years old and I had it built to order. I would now change a few things for my next one and definitely would have dual axle next time.

I am not a big fan of electric brakes (seen many units fail) having had hydraulic on the horse floats I would be happier with them, but that is me.

What ever you decide we want to see your new trailer when you get it built. :rofl:

Edited by Stolzseinrotts