Vet Recommendations Please

Update:

Bloods were clear. Urine was clear. So that leaves either incontinence or dementia.

I'm going to book another visit with Sophie after Easter.

I'm leaning towards it being dementia. Lilly's behaviour has been a bit odd lately (and I know our circumstances have been too, which is why I didn't want to assume it was behavioural in the first place).

She's going to the toilet inside (not normal for her at all, she's trained to go on towels if she can't hold it), she's just going wherever she feels like it. She has started barking at nothing. She has also started whining for no reason.

She's not in pain. She's got a normal temperature. Her diet is good.

She's 11 so at the age where dementia is a real probability. :)

There is medication available to help ease dementia symptoms...which is good. But I wonder how long we can live with this before it gets too big of a problem -for her, more than for me. :) She's not the same dog she was even six months ago...and that makes me very sad.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't realise they were 7 days either (lucky my neighbour did though) - we thought we'd have to go to either Chermside or the Sunshine Coast. He needed to be hospitalised so it was great they were so close.

Our pup has struvite crystals in his urine - he's on a special diet at the moment. He was only 11 months old when diagnosed so quite young to be having problems. He's doing great though. Let us know how you get on with Lilly.

There's always Albany Creek too...for after hours emergency type stuff. They're supposed to be fantastic.

They are, I took Lexi there when she was covered in hotspots simply to have an E-collar fitted, Id already taken her to another 'emergency vet' in the area and spent a fortune for nothing (they did nothing to treat her), anyway, when I took her to Albany Creek they clipped back and treated one spot she wouldnt let me look at, and gave me some more cream to bring home at no cost, all I paid for that night was the collar :)

LM hope Lilly is ok

Update:

Bloods were clear. Urine was clear. So that leaves either incontinence or dementia.

I'm going to book another visit with Sophie after Easter.

I'm leaning towards it being dementia. Lilly's behaviour has been a bit odd lately (and I know our circumstances have been too, which is why I didn't want to assume it was behavioural in the first place).

She's going to the toilet inside (not normal for her at all, she's trained to go on towels if she can't hold it), she's just going wherever she feels like it. She has started barking at nothing. She has also started whining for no reason.

She's not in pain. She's got a normal temperature. Her diet is good.

She's 11 so at the age where dementia is a real probability. :thumbsup:

There is medication available to help ease dementia symptoms...which is good. But I wonder how long we can live with this before it gets too big of a problem -for her, more than for me. :thumbsup: She's not the same dog she was even six months ago...and that makes me very sad.

:confused:

Hi LM,

Big hugs to you. I must say I don't like the sound of your description - the behaviours you describe sadly, sound like canine dementia to me. :(

I'm going through the same with my Mac and here's my thread in health and nutrition which might provide you with some good info and short-cuts. My Mac is on the Hills B/D and Vivitonin - and I give him his pill religiously half and hour before food - and this regime seems to be helping.

Do do Deerhound owners questionaire - its really helpful and she's a goldmine of information on this so I suggest you take her up on her offer to talk by PM.

Lastly, there is a nutritional supplement called Aktivait manufactured in the UK that you'll find has good reveiws on the net. But its impossible to get it here in Australia as I've just found out the hard way. So don't even bother, apart from the fact they are the rudest company I've ever had the misfortune to deal with. If I can find another solution I'll post it in case it helps anyone else.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on. :)

You can complete a questionnaire HERE that may help you find out if Lilly is showing other signs of dementia.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss it further.

Thanks...am updating the thread once I get back from the vet tomorrow.

Lilly has also had a stomach upset this week. Wednesday night we didn't get much sleep as she was panting/pacing/asking to go outside but then wouldn't or couldn't go to the toilet. I am still rather tired from this but my main concern is Lilly.

I hope to have some more answers or pointers tomorrow.

I just want the old Lilly back - there are flashes of her now and again - but she's been quite flat for most of this week and the panting has me worried (newer symptom) because the weather is cooler so it's probably pain causing her to pant.

She was clean and dry inside yesterday BUT she had no breakfast so I don't know how much of an impact that had. I gave her a half-ration for dinner last night, the tummy was off again this morning so no breakfast again today.

I'm hoping for good news and treatment of some sort tomorrow. :rofl:

Started her on medication a couple of days ago...starts with 'v' but I keep forgetting its name.

Lilly hasn't improved any. She pee'd inside overnight, didn't even ask to go out...just got up and squatted.

It's not incontinence as she's not leaking/dribbling and is most definitely squatting before doing it.

She also stares into space, but has always done that! :( Has forgotten basics like dinner time...she is constantly going back to her food bowl even if she's eaten an hour before. And she just isn't herself. :laugh:

Sigh. I hope the medication helps.

Started her on medication a couple of days ago...starts with 'v' but I keep forgetting its name.

Lilly hasn't improved any. She pee'd inside overnight, didn't even ask to go out...just got up and squatted.

It's not incontinence as she's not leaking/dribbling and is most definitely squatting before doing it.

She also stares into space, but has always done that! :hug: Has forgotten basics like dinner time...she is constantly going back to her food bowl even if she's eaten an hour before. And she just isn't herself. :(

Sigh. I hope the medication helps.

If it's Vivatonin, it takes about a month before you can see results (if any). Changes are usually gradual and subtle. I hope it works for you.

It's vivatonin.

My vet said one of her patients showed improvement within a couple of days but this was advanced dementia so I suppose a noticeable difference is not always going to happen so quickly.

I'm worried about Lilly. I don't mind that she's toileting inside but I do mind if it bothers her and when she's not herself, I feel bad for her. It's as if she's "here" sometimes and not others and she's got no idea of what's happening. :clap:

It's vivatonin.

My vet said one of her patients showed improvement within a couple of days but this was advanced dementia so I suppose a noticeable difference is not always going to happen so quickly.

I'm worried about Lilly. I don't mind that she's toileting inside but I do mind if it bothers her and when she's not herself, I feel bad for her. It's as if she's "here" sometimes and not others and she's got no idea of what's happening. :laugh:

yes it can take a while to work and unfortunately it doesn't work in all cases but fingers crossed it works for lilly. Don't worry about it bothering her, the upside (and it's about the only one) to dementia is that they are not aware of their behavioural changes. Instead of thinking how distressed she must be because she's getting confused and toileting inside, think that she has gone back to puppyhood and no longer has the recollection that she was ever toilet trained in the first place. The only thing that will make her anxious about it is your reaction. She will be able to tell if it upsets you so try to remain as neutral as possible. A nappy might help ease the burden on you when you can't supervise her.

The same goes for the other behavioural changes. The only symptom I think is actually distressing to the dog is if they start becoming anxious. Some people have reported good success with clomicalm if this is the case. There is also another drug called Anipryl which helps to increase blood flow and nerve function which may be an option if you don't see an improvement with vivitonin.

Best of luck with it and let us know how you go.

It's a bit of a roller-coaster this week.

Lilly had been clean/dry overnight for a few nights with no disruption to her sleep that woke me up.

Last night she woke me (by jumping off my bed) and I instantly knew she wanted to go and managed to dress myself and get her outside before she did it. She then did a wee on command! :thumbsup:

She's going to the toilet inside during the day which I'm okay about - mostly she's managing to use the towels which means she's remembering her training. It's a long day when I'm working but no longer than previously. It's probably also that we've had a lot of changes in the past couple of years and maybe she's having trouble keeping up.

It's a good sign, I think/hope. :)

BUT she still does poo on the floor whenever, even right in front of me. :eek: It's as if anywhere is okay to poo...and I don't let it bother me because it's easy enough to clean up.

Lillysmum, suggest you give the Vivitonin a good whirl - it may take a while (weeks?) to kick in - and I think following the instructions is very important - a good half hour before food. Although Mac is also on the B/D I suspect the Vivitonin is helping quite a lot.

I also find that keeping him well stimulated really helps as well. If I have a really busy week and he doesn't get the attention he usually does he somehow doesn't seem as good. So I cart him around with me as much as I can - even to friends places but I'm not having incontinence problems with him. :(

Lillysmum, suggest you give the Vivitonin a good whirl - it may take a while (weeks?) to kick in - and I think following the instructions is very important - a good half hour before food. Although Mac is also on the B/D I suspect the Vivitonin is helping quite a lot.

I also find that keeping him well stimulated really helps as well. If I have a really busy week and he doesn't get the attention he usually does he somehow doesn't seem as good. So I cart him around with me as much as I can - even to friends places but I'm not having incontinence problems with him. :(

The dosing half an hour before food is really difficult for me. I'm a shift worker so the dogs are fed when I get up and when I get home.