How Far Do You Walk And How Long Does It Take?

OSoSwift

I am interested to see how long it take people to walk the distance they do with their dogs.

My interest was peaked when I was approached by a lady with an overweight Beagle at Dog training who was after tips/hints to help get her dogs weight down and to get him fitter.

In the discussion she told me she walked him for an hour a day - not bad I thought, so I asked her to show me how fast she walked him. Honestly she would have been lucky to get 2kms in an hour, she literally dawdled along.

I have just gone for a walk so I thought I would see how long it took me.

I walked a smidge under 6kms in 45 minutes.

Now I know that how tall you are impacts as does the breed and size of your dog, so any and all info appreciated :o

I walk as hard and as fast as I can for the distance I am going, Rommi trots the whole time, but Lewis paces most of it as he is taller and has a longer stride. When I am finished I am sweating, my HR is up and I feel like I have done a bit of a workout, but I am nowhere near "fit" as in I couldn't run that distance to save myself! I am 5'8

So what do you do?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest english.ivy

I need to time how long we walk but it is very fast pased, with two big dogs. We just walked for about 30 minutes. They also had a off lead run at the beach today too.

We'd probably walk a lot longer now the weather has cooled down!

Approx 10 kilometres and about 1.20 minutes. Sometimes longer if we stop more - and that depends on what the weather is like and what time of day it is. But mostly we tend to stride out and walk purposeful when we are out on lead. I'm 5'7" and my dog is a tall RR. One day it dawned on me that it was ok to sometimes dawdle and take time to smell the roses :o .

Edited by Erny

Your right Erny sometimes it is good to stop and look around :o.

I guess I am lucky in the fact my dogs have leads walks - which are more for me than the dogs! - we have 5 acres around the house so they zoom around chasing each other or I throw toys, or use the Chuck it with a ball ( I know they are not good for everyone :( ) we also do training and they are harnessed on the quad bike when I check cows and water troughs (at the moment twice daily we are calving) and we have off lead jaunts to the beach where they chase balls, run through water and swim a little so we do get to "see" lots of stuff as well. I am also currently trainin Lewis for the ET so he has sessions running next to the bike, which are also for fitness purposes only.

So for me when I lead walk it is purely for exercise, which means I go fast as I have lots of other opportunities to check things out at a slower pace. I am so hopeless at running at it tends to give me a sore back, I am definately a fast walker not a runner!

Edited by OSoSwift

Average human walking speed is a bit under 5km/hour. According to my GPS I walk about that speed and spend about 15 minutes in every hour stopped when I walk my dogs. I walk for 45 minutes most evenings, more in summer. Sometimes I run, but I cover the same distance which is about 3km. Weekends I go considerably further, usually 6-10km depending on how much time I have available.

Guest Clover

If i am walking them on lead (rarely happens) i can walk 6km in just under an hour. If we go down the creek i usually walk about 2km in around 40 mins (very slack :o ), the dogs are running back and forth and around so probably do about 5kms if not more in that time.

Edited by Clover

I don't leash walk mine, it doesn't tire her out. In the city, I usually bike her to exercise her, so we end up going 10 - 15 km/hr for an hour or so, so I guess that would be usually 10 - 15km total.

When we hike, I only go about 2 - 4km/hr, but we usually go all day.

Edited by Staranais

I go all over town when walking Kaos, no idea how far i go

but Atlas is a slow walker, his feet play up a lot and it hurts to go for fast walks.

I have timed them both with walking around my block, Kaos and i can do it in 15 - 20 mins, Atlas and I do it in about 45 or longer, and he usually has to lay down for a rest along the way! He wont go twice in a row, so i usually take her for a huge walk one night, and him for a waddle the other night!

I don't have a real garden (just a bit of decking) so their walks involve a lot of stopping and sniffing so that they get the mental stimulation from the walk. They get 2 walks a day. Distance and duration varies a lot (sometimes due to me oversleeping.....). We cover 2km in about 1/2 an hour though. I'm not fit so some of that is just my dawdling.

On the weekend they get out at least 3 times a day, with a big walk on Saturday and Sunday (1+ hours).

I'd probably average at about 6 to 10 kilometres an hour but as I'm trying to get fit, I alternate between a fast walk and jogging (and the length of each interval depends on the weather and my asthma). Zeus being a beagle cross needs a LOT of running around and like some others have mentioned, purely running just doesn't tire him out.

For the lady with the over-weight beagle I'd like to suggest taking it to an off-leash park and letting it run around with other dogs (if this is a viable option because I know how hard some beagles are to have off lead). There have been afternoons at the dog park where Zeus has zoomed around for well over 3 hours and still shows no signs of slowing. He's massively hyper-energy and wears me out just watching his zoomies.

I love Zeus though because he's exactly the type of dog I was after when I wanted a puppy. My purpose was to buy a dog I could take out for jogs/runs in an attempt to get me fit as Poochie got too old for anything other than an amble down the road. Beagle x JRT ... no idea of the concept of "walk"!! :)

We have no fully fenced off lead dog parks, so that isn't an option. He was also being over fed and underwalked, so if she follows reccomendations he will lose weight and get fitter. I just couldn't get over how slow she walked! Maybe years of having Dobes has made me walk fast!

That would be interesting. Could you say strap one to them for a day to see how far they go in fits and starts or can you only use it for a walk, then turn it of when just wandering around at home

Fresh batteries last 17 hours, if I taped it to a harness it wouldn't be difficult. Hmmm, I'm curious now... It would be interesting to compare my dogs.

Generally about 3km in 40 minutes. We tend to dawdle and meander when walking through parks (i.e., most of our walk).

I'm in the process of teaching him to jog in the hopes of having more straightforward, purposeful outings, but he alternates between a veeeeery slow trot (much slower than my normal walking speed) and a full on sprint. I can only get a decent jogging pace out of him for about 300-400 metres.

We have no fully fenced off lead dog parks, so that isn't an option. He was also being over fed and underwalked, so if she follows reccomendations he will lose weight and get fitter. I just couldn't get over how slow she walked! Maybe years of having Dobes has made me walk fast!

Beagles do love their food!! Then again I haven't really met a dog who hasn't!

I get surprised at how slow some people walk their dogs too and it makes me wonder sometimes if there's even any point to some people heading out on a walk. But I can understand how there are people out there who are incapable of walking fast and are doing the best they can. :)