How Far Do You Walk And How Long Does It Take?

OSoSwift

With Charlie... he isn't very fast at all. he maybe goes about about 1km/h and that's him fast pace. If we walk more than 10 minutes, he will stop and we have to carry him home... lucky he is a small dog. Usually with him is take a step and wait for him, take another step and wait for him.

With Emmy we walk my pace. I walk in a faster pace than normal. Just because I naturally walk fast (I'm short and I have tall friends and they have long strides and I have to walk quicker to keep up with them). Never know how far we walk but we usually walk for 1/2 hour to an hour. Longer on weekends.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday I walked them about 5km in about an hour and 40 minutes, but we stopped a few times and did some training probably amounting to about 20 minutes and went very slow through the park so they could have a proper play and wrestle for about 20 minutes.

I generally take Kenzie (17mo BC) out for at least an hour each night and in that time we will cover anywhere between 4-6km if it is a totally leashed walk. If she's allowed off leash then she would easily do an extra 1-2km. If I'm time poor we have a 4km route that we do in 45min and that includes "sniff time". But I'm also about to tackle training her on the bike seeing as though a friend took her riding while I was overseas and managed to get about 8km out of her in much less time than it would have taken me to walk!!

Generally I walk very briskly for 1-1.5 hours with about 15 mins of offleash time during. They always get a run at the oval in the mornings to blow off excess steam, especially if I have to go to work. They sometimes get 3 outings a day when I can meet my friend at the beach!

We walk along a quiet bush track for about 25 mins, along some quiet roads until we get to the oval, and then it's again through backstreets and more bush to get home. One of the other routes is on the main road which Mischa doesn't appreciate. :)

We have no fully fenced off lead dog parks, so that isn't an option. He was also being over fed and underwalked, so if she follows reccomendations he will lose weight and get fitter. I just couldn't get over how slow she walked! Maybe years of having Dobes has made me walk fast!

Haha yes I used to do a very fast walk to keep the dobe trotting for about an hour, but that never tired him out. Now I use a bike and ride at about 20-25km and do 15km. He's still not tired so I then let him play in the dog park for a while. He really could go all day, I think we've made him too fit bc we always did lots of exercise to keep him tired. I am 5'9 and he is around 29 inches at the shoulder.

The usual walk I do with Kiff is just under 8km but it takes us about 2 (sometimes 3) hours to do now. He's starting to get a little old and curmudgeonly and has taken to just stopping in random places for a rest (one of the least pleasant random places was the middle of a busy intersection :) ).

Obviously I don't have time for it every day though so it's just a few times a week. He's also started to lose weight as he's gotten older so the walks are less frequent and slowly getting shorter.

Give it another year or so and he'll probably just want to spend all his time sitting out in the front yard and yelling at the neighbour's children if they walk on his lawn.

I usually do around 5-6kms in an hour which includes 5-10 mins before the walk in the leash free park next to us.

I haven't yet started jogging or cycling with my dog yet, she is only 12 months (large breed- Lab) so I don't want to risk heavy forced exercise with her at this stage. I will probably start jogging with her when she is 18 months.

We dawdle along but we walk for relaxation and the dogs cover much more ground than us.

Our dogs don't get walked to tire them out, we work their minds at home for that, walking for us is leisure time for us and the dogs.

I feel sorry for some of the dogs you see out hitting the pavement with their owners, no time to smell the roses.

We dawdle along but we walk for relaxation and the dogs cover much more ground than us.

Our dogs don't get walked to tire them out, we work their minds at home for that, walking for us is leisure time for us and the dogs.

I feel sorry for some of the dogs you see out hitting the pavement with their owners, no time to smell the roses.

Well other people, including myself might use dog park time or the beach or playing in the backyard for relaxation, I like to use the walk as training time and to exercise her mind (and my body lol). She has more than enough park time to smell the roses and other dogs bums etc.

Apparently, I don't "do" relaxing walks- my friends are always complaining that I walk too fast!

It is very interesting seeing all the different responses.

I guess to me a walk is get fit get moving time, training is seperate to my walk/fitness time, the dogs are off leash hooniing around everytime we step out of the door and we see many different things around the farm doing other jobs. Biking is seperate again as is off lead at the beach.

I guess if I lived in town I would treat my walks differently.

Oh the owner of said young Beagle is young and able, but just can't really be bothered walking too fast, she is a very laid back person.

A friend I used to go walking with was alway asking me to slow down, she is 5'2. :thumbsup:

Well other people, including myself might use dog park time or the beach or playing in the backyard for relaxation, I like to use the walk as training time and to exercise her mind (and my body lol). She has more than enough park time to smell the roses and other dogs bums etc.

Apparently, I don't "do" relaxing walks- my friends are always complaining that I walk too fast!

I agree, if I'm walking my dog, it's walk time and I expect/require him to remain at my side and focused on me. He is not desexed, so he would otherwise happily sniff and pee on every single bush/pole/fence etc if left to his own devices and we don't make any progress. But there are times when I release him, like in parks or at the beach etc and he can go do as he pleases, so long as he stays reasonably close.

I see owners of dobes and GSD's and other dominant type breeds who let their dogs lead the walks, and it's not a pleasant or safe situation.

At the moment I do 2km in 25-30 minutes, two times a day. Or I do 3-5km in 40 Mins, once or twice a day. This includes some off-leash time as we make our way through a football facility/park area. On weekends I sometimes do 8km in 1hr 20 mins.

I agree, if I'm walking my dog, it's walk time and I expect/require him to remain at my side and focused on me. He is not desexed, so he would otherwise happily sniff and pee on every single bush/pole/fence etc if left to his own devices and we don't make any progress. But there are times when I release him, like in parks or at the beach etc and he can go do as he pleases, so long as he stays reasonably close.

I see owners of dobes and GSD's and other dominant type breeds who let their dogs lead the walks, and it's not a pleasant or safe situation.

It depends on the purpose of the walk doesn't it, if my dogs are out and about with us in public, they are at heel and paying attention. Walks for us are different they are for fun and relaxation and the dogs know the difference. We have no one else to worry about when we walk.

We do 20 mins every morning at a very fast pace and then on the weekends we take them to the doggy park for some free running for about an hour. The walk there and back takes approx 40 mins each way, so it's a good walk on the weekends.

Not sure how far we go as its always along bush track, fire breaks but we are usually our for between 30 min and an hour, depending on weather and how Im feeling. Usually everyday atm, when Im working though its not everyday....

Of course the Kelpie always does twice as far as she is mostly off lead. Zola (RR) stays on lead as she cant be trusted in the bush full of roos :thumbsup: and does most of her walk at the heel (Cesar style). I let her meander a bit if we go through the bush so she can have a relax and sniff about - till she gets us tangled round a tree or shrub :laugh: ;) . I walk pretty quick, cant see the point of going for a walk and not going at a decent speed!

They could probably handle alot more exercise, but they dont seem to get bored outa their minds or destructive, and sleep the rest of their day away anyway!!

When the bike is fixed I want to start taking the ridgy with me - that will be a challenge and a half!! ;)

Edited to ad they also do lots of playing in the paddocks with their footy, lots of running, chasing and circus performing...LOL!!! And they come with us when we are working around our 5 acres too!

Edited by Lab_Rat

I have no idea. Pre ankle surgery I would walk for about 1.5 hrs at a time and one dog was off lead wondering around, the other on lead. I could do well over my 10,000 step aim in this time- I would sometimes go longer depending on the weather and the dogs and how lazy I had been during the day.

Right now I would probably manage about 1000 steps in 25 minutes (moon boot is on) so that is as far as the dogs get walked.

I am going to have to build us all back up to my normal walking speed/distance because everyone but the kelpies has put on weight lol!! I might hit the off lead park- its tiny and fenced- to build up the dogs fitness as I walk around the edge and they get to do zoomies as I can take them all instead just two at a time. But after a few incidences I only go in when no one is there and clear out as soon as anyone turns up so it makes planning a little difficult.

ETA- regarding walking styles three of my kelpies are just required to walk on a loose lead so I don't mind if they sniff bit I don't slow down for them either, the fourth is always on a mission so power walks out the front with a lead that is never slack, but doesn't pull either!! And the Lappie goes off lead because I trust her infinitely more than the kelpies lmao.

Edited by ~Woofen~

I think dogs are pretty much like people when it comes to walkies. Some like to dawdle and sniff the roses while others like to storm troop and feel the breeze in their hair. Mine are storm troopers which suits me but there is a lovely old man with an old Dane in my suburb and they just potter along like two old slippers. It's very cute.

I'm not sure of the distance of my current walk. It would be a few km and it takes just under an hour at a reasonable pace. I mix up the route to stop us all from getting bored.

Good news is that its offlead which allows the younger dogs to tear around and the older dogs to potter.. or vice versa!

2.5km takes 26 minutes - but that was when we were both fit and sound. HOwever the dog is now 12 so has had a few issues then I hurt my knee so we have to limit to the park or the extend to the park and back which is 10 minutes or 15 minutes and slightly slower pace. SHort walk also means on lead and not bolting around at the park (whereas full walk incl off lead segment of the park).