Top 10 Smartest Dogs In The World

Leelaa17

I have been to a TON of websites and all of them say the same thing, yet only about a year ago the top 10 was VERY different. I want to know what people think of this list?

1. Border Collie

2. Poodle

3. German Shepherd

4. Golden Retriever

5. Doberman Pinscher

6. Shetland Sheepdog

7. Labrador Retriever

8. The Papillion

9. Rottweiler

10. Australian Cattle Dog

Edited by Leelaa17

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No.

Call this "the 10 most easily trained dogs in the world" and I might.

Exactly what poodlefan said.

I bet Afghan Hounds are down the bottom of the list! I'm yet to meet a dumb Afghan. Sneaky, cunning and highly intelligent is what they are!

Edited by Sir WJ

No.

Call this "the 10 most easily trained dogs in the world" and I might.

Exactly what poodlefan said.

I bet Afghan Hounds are down the bottom of the list! I'm yet to meet a dumb Afghan. Sneaky, cunning and highly intelligent is what they are!

I'd rate Whippets in the top 10 for thievery. :)

Beagles are listed around number 70 on these lists. Someone forgot to tell Daisy she's supposed to be dumb. Maybe if she was shed stop thinking up new ways to steal stuff off the kitchen shelf :)

Where are the Australian Shepherds, Jack russells, Finnish lapphunds, Tibetan Terriers and many many other breeds who are highly intelligent and very trainable?

That list should be the top 10 breeds who can learn stuff easily and are owned by lots of people. For that matter, where are the Kelpies?

Edited by GayleK

Where are the Australian Shepherds, Jack russells, Finnish lapphunds, Tibetan Terriers and many many other breeds who are highly intelligent and very trainable?

That list should be the top 10 breeds who can learn stuff easily and are owned by lots of people. For that matter, where are the Kelpies?

Completely agreed. My lappie always surprises me with how smart she is - and I thought the Sibe was smart (though hard to train).

My border collie is the dumbest dog I know :/

lol. I agree with all of you. It is interesting though because there are some 'smart dogs' that are really dumb and some 'dumb' dogs that are really smart.

For example, my MIL's maltese is EXTREMELY smart. We used to play hide and seek with her (my partner and I) and we would hide somewhere around our very small house and one of us would take her upstairs and then we'd howl (to let the other person and Mia know we were hiding and ready) and she would find us within seconds no matter where we were - of course she used smell and hearing, but the interesting thing was that every time she came down she would quickly scout the previous spots to make sure we werent hiding in the same place.

She does other things as well such as sit befopre being fed - if she doesnt get told 'eat' then she would sit there for hours waiting - shes actually extremely intelligent. :)

I hate that these lists say inteligence when they should say trainability.

I love BC's, sure Quinn is incredibly trainable, more than any dog I know. SHe is smart but she does some stupid things sometimes.

I think that any dog who can train their vet is pretty damn smart. I took Isaak to the vet on Saturday morning and he walked into her office, marched over to her desk, sat beautifully and said a polite "Eeeeer-ruff" at which the vet dutifully reached for her jar of treats, gave him two then started the examination.

He knew exactly why he was there and made her aware of it too.