Potential Herding Or Agility Dog Needs A Home!

I have the most gorgeous foster pup here who is looking for a very special home. Chip (formerly Carlos) is a 5-6mth old working lines BC. He has a short-medium coat and gorgeous patchy markings. But his cute looks are just the beginning! Chip is a serious working dog. He has attended one herding clinic where he impressed the instructors with his boldness and natural ability. He also has the athleticism and drive to be a fantastic agility dog. He will not cope in a regular pet home. Chip will go to his new home desexed, chipped and vacc'd. If you or someone you know is looking for a new herding or agility dog, please consider Chip. He is good with kids, good with other dogs and learning very quickly about cats... :eek: Oh and I forgot to say he is also a total honey and loves cuddles! :laugh:

IMG_0496.jpg

He hasn't been desexed yet, but will be in the coming weeks. I'd consider a vasectomy to the right home. :laugh:

He is honestly the most gorgeous dog, so full of potential. If I had more time, less dogs, a farm, etc I'd keep him! LOL!

Edited by Kirty

If he's going to his new home desexed as a pup, you've just written him off as a prospect for many serious agility enthusiasts. :laugh:

Err why?

Because early desexing affects bone density/growth and some agility folk wouldn't desex a male dog before about age 14 months... if at all.

Edited by poodlefan

If you know he is from good working lines, you may be able to find some sheep dog triallers that may want him. But if you desex him, he won't get that kind of opportunity to do what he was bred for which would be a shame. Can you not make the desexing call depending on what kind of home he does to. Ie pet = desex, Working = left alone.

just out of interest whats the differance with vasectomy vs desexing (apart from the obvious) pros and cons i mean. I just have never heard vasectomy as an option before

Vasectomy just snips the cord that carries the sperm from the testes, whereas desexing removes the testes. So a vasectomised dog has the same hormone levels as would a non-desexed male dog, and should grow & act the same as a non-desexed male.

I've never seen a dog vasectomised, but I've vasectomised rams before, I can't imagine it would be particularly tricky to do a dog, the anatomy is very similar.

was just of interest i have not had a new dog in almost 7 years, and i will be doing flyball with my new boy, the bone density comment was of interest to me, i just had not come across that as a reason not to desex before

was just of interest i have not had a new dog in almost 7 years, and i will be doing flyball with my new boy, the bone density comment was of interest to me, i just had not come across that as a reason not to desex before

Don't rush him into training. Let him grow and mature first. The sports vet who's "dont desex before age 14 months" advice many agility folk swear by is in the USA.

She's seeing dogs who are chronically unsound by age 5 from careers in flyball.

not getting him to jump or anything like that just how to do turns correctly, i waited too long on my other dog and now cant train it out of him. he doesnt slam into the box like some dogs but its not as fluid a turn as i would have preferred. ok sorry going OT there was looking at options.

so vasectomy wouldn't assist with any of the behavioural issues desexing is supposed to assist in just causes him to shoot blanks?

Thats fine. Just they way you spoke of him and advertising him as a working line BC and a serious working dog made me think you actually knew about his past and breeding.

If not then cut him and hope for the best in finding him a suitable home.

She's seeing dogs who are chronically unsound by age 5 from careers in flyball.

I am not surprised really, for some reason people are pushing and training dogs under 12 months too hard. I don't understand it, surely "career" longevity and future health should be the main priority?

so vasectomy wouldn't assist with any of the behavioural issues desexing is supposed to assist in just causes him to shoot blanks?

Pretty much there are no changes that are associated with desexing, just no chance of accidents happening and the best for male pups destined for sporting rings IMO.

He is gorgeous Kirty, hope he finds the perfect sporting home :)

He is adorable! Hope he finds a great home :)

I'm sort of thinking about another dog myself, but he sounds like he would be better in working/sport home.

I'm doing some obedience and agility with my current dog, but I'm not after a serious comp dog yet.

I would def take him on looks alone though lol