Parvo

If you have had a puppy die from parvo how long before you can get another pup. I friend of my sons, recently had his 8 wo pup die and now is talking about getting another. Need some facts to give him so it doesnt happen again

We are led to believe that it can live in the ground for many years.

The most important thing is, to make sure the next puppy is vaccinated correctly.

The chances of another puppy being infected I think would be low as long as it is vaccinated.

If it were me I would not want the pup till it was at least 3 months and had, a second vaccination or a titer test done in this case.

If you have had a puppy die from parvo how long before you can get another pup. I friend of my sons, recently had his 8 wo pup die and now is talking about getting another. Need some facts to give him so it doesnt happen again

We are led to believe that it can live in the ground for many years.

The most important thing is, to make sure the next puppy is vaccinated correctly.

The chances of another puppy being infected I think would be low as long as it is vaccinated.

If it were me I would not want the pup till it was at least 3 months and had, a second vaccination or a titer test done in this case.

Yep, I'd at least wait until the new pup is fully vacinated and covered before bringing it into an area that had parvo.

Why do people have a fear of Parvo when their dogs are vaccinated ?.

If you are vaccinated against Rubella you can't catch it, the same with Parvo.

This is why we vaccinate. :rofl:

um yes you can..my well known case here on DOL...Hef was 6 months old and had had his 3 vaccinations!

Well known case? Im curious now...

• 1 month later...

If anyone's interested, I just rang a veterinary clinic in Marsden regarding getting my soon-to-be-here puppy vaccinated and they said parvo is rife around there and where I live (Kingston) and just about all of Logan so definitely keep all un-vacc'd dogs inside.

Seems like the outbreak continues :( It's sad that not everyone vaccinates when you consider how inexpensive it really is, compared to treatment for parvovirus.

There was anotehr Doler who lost 2 fully and correctly vaccinated young dogs at around 6 months of age from memory. They died from parvo which I believe they picked up when they went to a vet hospital to be desexed but I may not remember correctly.

I also got Rubella after being vaccinated for it.

Nothing is 100% and while I hope my dogs will be fine we can never know that they have even responded correctly to a correctly followed vaccination regime. I would try and keep my fully and correctly vaccinated dogs away from an area with a known Parvo outbreak.

There was anotehr Doler who lost 2 fully and correctly vaccinated young dogs at around 6 months of age from memory. They died from parvo which I believe they picked up when they went to a vet hospital to be desexed but I may not remember correctly.

I also got Rubella after being vaccinated for it.

Nothing is 100% and while I hope my dogs will be fine we can never know that they have even responded correctly to a correctly followed vaccination regime. I would try and keep my fully and correctly vaccinated dogs away from an area with a known Parvo outbreak.

Yes I got rubella after being vaccinated for it, I had my antibodies checked late last year and I was surprised to find I had immunity, after having 2 vaccines thoughout my childhood and having the virus once in between the shots lol

sigh, I wish I was not an exception..really I do, :rofl:

But you're not MM :(

I know of a fully vaccinated 3 month old puppy getting it not long after the Victorian floods from a show.

Edited by SnoPaws