Dining With Dogs In Newcastle

Jigsaw

Yet another opinionated article that is trying to squash any social life that Newcastle currently has.

I probably wouldn't take my dog to the cafes in Darby St or Honeysuckle, but certainly to the local fish and chip shop or burger place. The last we were at our local ice creamery and group of people wanted to give Duke a lick of their ice cream for sitting so nicely. I guess it depends on the person. :laugh:

Amazing isn't it, as soon as you say you don't want dog at outside tables or in cafe's, then you instantly become a dog hater.

If you want your dog to dine with you, there's always your own kitchen table.

Whilst you might think it makes for a nice day out, taking your dog with you, not everyone else agrees. There's no point comparing kids to dogs, as they are not children and are not afforded the same rights as a child, not matter how disgusting some people think children are. The fact is kids are allowed to eat with their parents at any cafe be it indoors or out and chucking around comments about how badly behaved some are, does nothing to help the doggie cause.

I will take my dogs to cafes and restaurants, your opinion not withstanding!!!

Everytime I go I ask the restaurant owner's permission even though we are regulars, and without fail most people who are dining at the same time come out to pat my dogs and comment on how well behaved they are.

If we are talking about law, I am legally allowed to take my dogs to outdoor cafes (with the permission of the owner of course).

If we are talking about personal preferences, then the argument against having kids running in restaurants is as valid.

I don't want dogs at cafe's

I don't want some dogs at cafe's

I walked past a bloke with two dogs the other day, they were waiting with him while he chatted to someone on the footpath, and they smelt soooo bad I think even cast iron stomach me would throw up if trying to eat or drink coffee whilst sitting next to them.

I doubt he was the sit at a cafe sort but who knows...who decides these things?

There are some people some children and some dogs I dont want to share my dining with! There are some smelly rude ones in all of them! :thumbsup:

I do miss being able to sit on the Freo cafe strip and have a nice coffee and watch the world go by at the end of a good walk with my girl. I think it should be up to the individual business if they allow pets in al fresco areas. We rarely get to the city these days and when we do there are few places to go that we can both enjoy.

I take my dogs to cafes and outside dining areas of restaurants. They sit quietly near the table. They don't beg for food and would never ever do their pees and poos in these areas.

I'm so glad this is allowed in my council. It's a great experience to take them out.

I agree, i am a regular at one particular cafe without my dogs, and when given the chance i take 1/4 of my dogs to a darby street cafe on a regular basis, i go to the same place everytime with them.

And more often than not there are the regular dogs that go there, one even has a RIP tag drilled into the steps out the front as it was a regular going there, they are always outside near the road seating, laying down not shitting or peeing as they have manners they aren't on the table on laps in my food or near anyone near me while i have my coffee, to me i don't have a problem with well behaved dogs with their responsible owners at a cafe/restaurant.

It is the dogs that are tied up and left to wait out the front on the street i would have a problem with as they are left unattended, most likely to bark and not settle down.

And if you knew your dog would not behave themselves while you had a coffee you would look stupid bringing them.

ETA: if you don't like the well behaved dogs laying down doing nothing while you eat drink, move inside and don't look at them because chances are they couldn't care less while they chill. but if it is a turd of a dog tell the wait staff i am sure they could ask the owners to settle there dog or to leave etc..

Edited by catherine.b

• 10 months later...

To revive this topic - I'm having trouble interpreting the Act - dogs are not prohibited but can the owner of the establishment still refuse us acces under this part?

(3) This section does not confer any entitlement on a person accompanied by a dog to use any table and chairs or other apparatus provided in an outdoor dining area by a food business (within the meaning of the Food Act 2003 ) without the permission of the operator of the food business.