Ants In Dog Food!

Jetty

Anyone have any good tips on how to get ants out of dry dog food? I have a 20kg bag of Black Hawk food and I had the opening clipped. Obviously it was not sealed enough :laugh: I am going tomorrow to get a big bin to store the food in but what can I do to get rid of the ants before then? Or should I leave it until then? I don't want to waste this much dog food!

Anyone have any good tips on how to get ants out of dry dog food? I have a 20kg bag of Black Hawk food and I had the opening clipped. Obviously it was not sealed enough :laugh: I am going tomorrow to get a big bin to store the food in but what can I do to get rid of the ants before then? Or should I leave it until then? I don't want to waste this much dog food!

not sure how to get the ants out, but I do know if you sprinkle baby powder around the bottom of your container they won't be able to get into it. Worked a treat for us when we had a problem a while ago.

If you don't mind the dog eating them dead instead of alive, then put the food in the freezer for a short time and that will kill them. As long as the ants have not been eating poising, they will not harm the dog if the dog eats them, dead or alive. :(

Edited by dyzney

They won't do any damage to the food- or your dog , really. Just move the bag and leave it undisturbed and open for a couple of hours - ants will leave. Then put remainder in a plastic container :(

Any ants left after a few hours will die very soon after you tip the remainder in your new bin (around the exterior, of which, you have sprayed surface spray in several wide bands )

Thanks Everyone. I am getting a bin today to seal the food in. I will leave the bag open for a while and see if they leave if not I might try sieve the food when I convert it into the bin.