Heavy Duty Dog Beds ?

Sutton

My bed destroyer currently has NOTHING in his day pen. He has eaten everything, including the $200 kennel. We have a shed on order for him, it's coming (before Xmas I hope!)

At night he sleeps in my other dogs shed, on hession bag beds. He eats those too, but they are pretty cheap to replace every few months. He will never get anything expensive again.....at least after the shed arrives!

Hessian bags are great. We have actually put holes in them to make them part of those metal frame dog beds - you know the ones im talking about? They bow really quickly but they are really durable - much more so than that meshy trampoline material and significantly cheaper - i get the massive ones from pet barn for 4$ and they have lasted longer than any other material. You could get one of the mesh bags and stuff an old blanket in it for comfort?

I have had the Heavy blue mesh beds from Great Rugs, still going strong after more than 12-13 yrs with heavy use.

Hose them off iand they dry very fast, throw a blanket on top on cold nights if you need to, best heavy duty beds I have used.

Hessian bags last about 1 week here and leave hessian fluff everywhere.

spot the dog. where did you buy yours from? I like the look of those but cant find one for that price.

I cant decide which one to get,might have to get two! :cheer:

Ozpetshop is where I got mine - a large, in red, $145. Added a bag of treats to qualify for free delivery (and it's not like I don't use them!)

I then bought a cheap single doona in Ikea for $18, doubled it up and threw it over the Snooza for winter. The only drawback of the bed is it's noisy - when Gus turns and drops on it it makes creaky poofy sounds. The single doona over it quiets that.

He also *loves* it. It was like he knew it was his bed the second I took it out of the box it was delivered in. Gus isn't a huge dog, he's medium-large at about 30kgs, so he can both curl up in the centre of the bed, and stretch out flat on it. It lives in the corner of my study. Was considering buying a second one for the garage and dog-run when I'm out during the day - his bed out there is a combination of all of the previous beds he destroyed - on a few layers of cardboard is the frame of a trampoline bed, with pieces of old carpet folded over it. I put towels over that occasionally and he tolerates them for a day or two and then carries them out into the dog run and wools and shreds them.

My dogs have nice beds for indoors (when they are supervised!) and outside I just put down an old rug and some op shop blankets. My dogs are terrible bed wreckers so I get 2-3 blankets from the op shop for $5 each and that will usually do them for a few months at least. They tend to drag the blankets around but they don't rip them to shreds like they do with cushion-type beds.

Well our new snooza D1000 has arrived and I think it's safe to say my little bed destroyer likes it. So far he hasn't even attempted to chew it and for the first time ever he has voluntarily gone into his own crate for a lie down (usually he squeezes into Leia's tiny crate!). Fingers crossed this one lasts!

SnoozaD1000.JPG

Well our new snooza D1000 has arrived and I think it's safe to say my little bed destroyer likes it. So far he hasn't even attempted to chew it and for the first time ever he has voluntarily gone into his own crate for a lie down (usually he squeezes into Leia's tiny crate!). Fingers crossed this one lasts!

SnoozaD1000.JPG

Very Cute!!!!

When my girl was going through her chewing phase I gave her a bale of straw as her bed, I would put 5 biscuits of the bale into her kennel and let her dig through it to make her bed, nice and thick and VERY warm. It works well if you can have a board at the front of the kennel to keep the straw from going everywhere. Some people said that straw attracts fleas, but I never experienced that but in our cold climate fleas are pretty rare.

I am doing this this week, I am really worried about fleas though, this year has been a shocking flea season here in town and I have been lucky and havent gotten any... but the dogs need something to sleep in. They are also going to get new kennels in the next few weeks.

I have also used the Great Rugs mat that i got made for the crates, they are great, but Atlas has managed to start to chew the corner of the bed - saying that, we have had them for about 4 years...

I have these beds and they are super strong, I couldn't imagine a dog eating or scratching through them, they are that tough, I've had them for about 4 years with the Danes and they still look like new.

(B.F.B) Better Framed Bed

Galvanised steel frame resists rust whilst the improved mesh mat keeps your dog comfortable as well as being waterproof, chew resistant and flea retardant. The mat is fixed to the frame.

tn-betterframedbeds001.jpg

http://www.greatrugs.com.au/store/index.htm

I have them too - lasted years with the labradors - still look like new

My Labrador puppy (about 8 months old at the time) destroyed the trampoline bed I bought from Big W in about a week! The ones you have posted about are not really that much more expensive than what I paid at Big W. If they are as tough as you say, I might give one a go. Roo still eats strips off the old sheets I give her to lay on outside every now and then though. She's 1 next week- surely she'll grow out of it soon? :laugh:

Macka, Archer looks so comfy! :p

Teebs, won't the hay bring mice?

Update: bed may be tough but not tough enough for Archer. :cheer: He's already put a big hole in the corner.

Guess he's going back to having an old rug in his crate as that's the only thing that lasts.

My Labrador puppy (about 8 months old at the time) destroyed the trampoline bed I bought from Big W in about a week! The ones you have posted about are not really that much more expensive than what I paid at Big W. If they are as tough as you say, I might give one a go. Roo still eats strips off the old sheets I give her to lay on outside every now and then though. She's 1 next week- surely she'll grow out of it soon? :cheer:

Macka, Archer looks so comfy! :)

Teebs, won't the hay bring mice?

I dont know :mad

I am at a loss because i have nothing for him to lay on, and his Arthritis is playing up now it is getting colder :D

ETA If you do get one of these beds, let me know, i might order 2 for my guys

Edited by Teebs