How To Fatten Up A Puppy

BMAK

my foster pup is on a special kibble well it isn't very special but he is on it to see if he has food allergies. so he has been to the vets and tests are still running etc but he is looking like he needs some fattening up ..

all i want to know is there anything that is natural that i could possible feed him to put some weight on that won't affect seeing if he has allergies, as he is on adult fish kibble sensitive skin and stomach and needs more than that he does get a 3 meals a day but too much food for this gooble guts isn't good all at one time.

any ideals??

my foster pup is on a special kibble well it isn't very special but he is on it to see if he has food allergies. so he has been to the vets and tests are still running etc but he is looking like he needs some fattening up ..

all i want to know is there anything that is natural that i could possible feed him to put some weight on that won't affect seeing if he has allergies, as he is on adult fish kibble sensitive skin and stomach and needs more than that he does get a 3 meals a day but too much food for this gooble guts isn't good all at one time.

any ideals??

If you are trying to find out what the dog is allergic too don't go adding things.

It doesn't matter how "natural" an ingredient is if your dog is allergic to it.

Agree with Crisovar - you're dog is on an elimination diet by the sounds of things so adding in anything else will affect that.

Some short term leanness should not hurt the dog.

Perhaps best to speak to the vet or dermatologist who is taking you through the allergy testing.

Don't feed the pup anything other than the recommended diet.

It will cancel the trial and you will need to start again. My pup has allergens and was put onto Hills Science Z/D for his elimination diet. He was four or five months old at the time and I (like you) was worried about him getting enough and it impacting on his development. His health and weight actually improved - because he was no longer in contact with the allergens. The Hills Z/D is a fully balanced diet. I'm presuming you are doing your elimination diet under vet or dermatologist supervision and they have chosen an appropriate kibble for you. If this is the case, try not to stress (like I did). If not, I recommend speaking to a vet knowledgable about allergies or a dermatologist. The emilination diet will be over before you know it (6-8 weeks) and the pup will be better off with you knowing what the problem is and you knowing how to manage it for them.

Edited by Polgara's Shadow

Shouldn't pups be fed a higher calorie diet that adult dogs? I am wondering why the pup is being fed the adult food rather that one for puppies.

i am asking the same question but vet's choice, he is only about 16 weeks old so i feel he needs fatty acids that he isn't getting enough of.

Shouldn't pups be fed a higher calorie diet that adult dogs? I am wondering why the pup is being fed the adult food rather that one for puppies.

i am asking the same question but vet's choice, he is only about 16 weeks old so i feel he needs fatty acids that he isn't getting enough of.

Is it worth your while to seek out another opinion from another vet? I think I probably would. The growing period is so important.

Stick with the elimination diet. If the dog does have Adverse Food Reactions then these can actually prevent the dog from getting good nutrition from the food and gaining weight appropriately... work out what they are responding to, eliminate them from the diet and you often see improvement.

Edited by zayda_asher

I really don't see how you can do an elimination diet with kibble. There are far too many ingredients in them, even the Hills ones.

If it is Proplan that you are feeding then I have found that to be one of the most fattening dry foods. My puppy was also allergic to something in it. It caused the worse reaction out of everything.

The thing that worries me is a diagnosis of possible food allergy at such a young age. What was this based on?

I worry that food allergies are being over diagnosed these days. Are we really breeding so many sick dogs? (or are we doing something to them to create problems - I do have my opinion on this one, but also worry about over diagnosis).

I worry about a pup being put on a food like this during an important growing phase too.

Keeping the pup lean is good (extra weight is not good for growing bones and joints) but they need the nutrients to be able to grow. I agree on getting a second opinion.

Agree too - kibble has too many things in it to be effective as an elimination diet. Only real way to do it is to feed items individually.

i am not the one paying for the vet bill so it really isn't my choice to go to another vet that probably wouldn't support rescue costs and would cost a lot more money. as much as i would like too but you never know.

The pro plan he is on is sensitive skin and stomach and 2x as good as the other proplan i feel in comparrison. he is going back to the vets this week i just want it sorted so hopefully i will get a answer to what is making his skin itch, he just seems like the food isn't enough to keep him full (which i believe) i want him to be on puppy and raw.

little bamboosled as to why he is on this kibble maybe it is to get a neutral ground to see if it was another food item causing him to itch, he is still itching/nibbling but no where near as bad so i really just want some scraping and tests done that can sorted asap.

thanks for your input will keep you updated.

If he does have food allergies he is absolutely likely to have atopy as well (that's pollen and other air born allergens)... food allergies are relatively uncommon and dogs who have them almost always have coconmittant atopy, as it is the most common form of allergy. So chances are, if it is allergies, he will need more than just an elimination of food sources to stay itch free.

Good luck with him :o

Edited by zayda_asher

These were the ingredients. They might have changed slightly now it is made here.

Salmon, brewers rice, canola meal, oat meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), salmon meal (natural source of glucosamine), pearled barley, brewers dried yeast, animal digest, salt, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium carbonate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

There are a number of ingredients that are 'allergy prone' ingredients - Canola meal, brewers dried yeast are a couple. The 'animal fat' could be a problem if the pup is allergic to the animal that the fat is actually from.

I do like this food, it gives a super coat on a dog but I wouldn't be feeding it to a dog during an elimination diet. I have feed this to pups/younger dogs btw and they have done well on it. I don't think the pup thing is an issue. My borders usually get really fat after a bag of this and that is feeding 1 cup a day.

Salmon/Mackrel/tuna and Rice, then trial some veggies, pumpkin, potato and if he can try pasta :laugh:

Raw fish is better then the cooked/boiled tinned stuff, so much fatty stuff has been dispersed...

Then go with trial and error from there

These were the ingredients. They might have changed slightly now it is made here.

Salmon, brewers rice, canola meal, oat meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), salmon meal (natural source of glucosamine), pearled barley, brewers dried yeast, animal digest, salt, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium carbonate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

There are a number of ingredients that are 'allergy prone' ingredients - Canola meal, brewers dried yeast are a couple. The 'animal fat' could be a problem if the pup is allergic to the animal that the fat is actually from.

I do like this food, it gives a super coat on a dog but I wouldn't be feeding it to a dog during an elimination diet. I have feed this to pups/younger dogs btw and they have done well on it. I don't think the pup thing is an issue. My borders usually get really fat after a bag of this and that is feeding 1 cup a day.

Yep, completely agreed, it's definitely got a high enough fat content for puppies, but for a true elimination diet no way. We put Akira on it a few weeks back to get rid of chicken being a main ingredient in her diet (she has a sensitive stomach) and it's definitely helped her but we have to be very careful that she doesn't put on too much weight on it.

Salmon/Mackrel/tuna and Rice, then trial some veggies, pumpkin, potato and if he can try pasta :hug:

Raw fish is better then the cooked/boiled tinned stuff, so much fatty stuff has been dispersed...

Then go with trial and error from there

thanks i will try :)

so i have been to the vets and she wasn't much help to my questions !

she just things he will grow out of the itching and when he goes to his new home she thinks the new environment might do him good (atm he is on pavers 80% of the time) ! i mean he has slightly slowed down on the amount of itching and nibbling he does which is great but i would have loved an answer, but it is not mange yay!

he has created some small pus infections by chewing so he has a anti-inflammitory,bacterial infection cream and also has some eye cream for his eyes as they became yellow discharged.

i am now testing certain foods, past two days he has had a small brisket bone from the butchers and no change and firmish stools, i will feed him his normal kibble food tomorrow then on sunday train him at obedience with chicken *fingers crossed* he doesn't itch more as he will also be on grass all morning.

but he is at that age where he is mr explorer and chewing/mouthing like crazy so thank god he can have bones! soo happy i can get stuck into proper training with him as he would have grown into a naught boy.

Edited by catherine.b

Gunky eyes, infections, loose stools - as well as the itching etc are common in allergic dogs and you'll find most dogs will get worse with ages, not better.

You would do well to get a referral to a dermatologist - they'd guide you on a proper elimination diet.

Please think very very carefully about rehoming a dog with allergies - as a number of people here will be able to attest to, living with and treating an allergic dog can be very hard on the owners and very expensive.

i am now testing certain foods, past two days he has had a small brisket bone from the butchers and no change and firmish stools, i will feed him his normal kibble food tomorrow then on sunday train him at obedience with chicken *fingers crossed* he doesn't itch more as he will also be on grass all morning.

This is too much too fast. You will not get a clear indication of any sensitivities by introducing all this so quickly.

The dog needs to see a Dermatologist, and be properly assessed before consideration is given to rehoming.

Gunky eyes, infections, loose stools - as well as the itching etc are common in allergic dogs and you'll find most dogs will get worse with ages, not better.

You would do well to get a referral to a dermatologist - they'd guide you on a proper elimination diet.

Please think very very carefully about rehoming a dog with allergies - as a number of people here will be able to attest to, living with and treating an allergic dog can be very hard on the owners and very expensive.

This is too much too fast. You will not get a clear indication of any sensitivities by introducing all this so quickly.

The dog needs to see a Dermatologist, and be properly assessed before consideration is given to rehoming.

I agree. As someone who shares their life with two very allergic dogs I can say that its a hard job and a job you have for the life time of the dog. Treating them properly is time consuming and expensive and its heart breaking when they are sick and miserable. Its not fair on the people or the dog to re-home to people who have no idea what they will be dealing with and may not be committed to the time and dollar investment an allergic dog is.

It appears your current vet isn't leading you through elimination diet properly... Here's a chart showing time line and steps for elimination:

4379550095_75d077dfdb_o.jpg

I'd be having a talk to the rescue about finding some more money to spend on this dog - as the others have said: if he is allergic, then its only going to get worse as he ages, definitely not better!

Edited by zayda_asher

The only way to find a food allergy is to feed one natural food only. For at least a week.

That means just fresh chicken. Or just fresh beef. Or just fish. Or just beef.

If you feed anything that is manufactured or has more than ONE ingredient, even a supplement it is not a true result.

All well ? after a week add another thing. Maybe rice. Fresh rice that you open & cook.

This is how an food allergy test is done. Not by using low allergy manufactured food. Your dog may be allergic to a low allergy thing & how would you know what it was.

Allergy is guessed so much & misdiagnosed & misunderstood.

Thin pup does not mean allergy. There could be so may reasons. Worms, just an active phase, thyroid, genetics. All sorts.

All too vague really. Pup may not be ill at all.