Brands Of Dog Food (kibble)

Alfie02

The pup is a Ridgeback and will be 8 weeks when they get him.

From what I understand, they will be feeding the same as the breeder (which im not sure what it is, will have to check), but were just seeing what options there are out there for feeding a growing pup and what others feed their large breed pups and if they liked how the dogs did on the food.

So basically just doing their research I think.

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks!

The pup is a Ridgeback and will be 8 weeks when they get him.

From what I understand, they will be feeding the same as the breeder (which im not sure what it is, will have to check), but were just seeing what options there are out there for feeding a growing pup and what others feed their large breed pups and if they liked how the dogs did on the food.

So basically just doing their research I think.

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks!

Yep, it does. If they trust the breeder and like what they see in their breeder's adult dogs, I'd be sticking to the breeder's recommendation.

You could ask in the Ridgeback thread though.

Hi,

A friend needs some opinions on what the best brand of food (kibble) is for a growing large breed pup?

It needs to be affordable if possible.... :laugh:

Thanks!

I work at a pet retail outlet... With some of the stuff that's in kibble these days, I recommend Nutro, Holistic Select, Eagle Pack or Advance. :laugh:

Larger breeds need to be grown slow and steady so a quality kibble is important - no shortcuts on cheap food as you'll pay for it later. The breeder will be the best source of information re most appropriate food.

Definitely trust the breeder and check with them first. Hopefully they provide good nutritional information but I guess ultimately it will depend on what suits the dog and works well for it.

Some dogs can have sensitive stomachs so there's more trial and error in finding something suitable.

Once your friend has spoken to the owner and found out what kibble they suggest, come and let us know because we can try and compare brands. Also, check out the numerous threads in the Health/Nutrition Section because there are heaps of threads about the different brands of kibble.

Hope that's somewhat helpful! :laugh:

My dogs are on Nutro (one since pup) and it is all good according to them. However, probably doesn't fit the easily affordable category. Although something to keep in mind is that the better quality kibble usually they need less of in comparison to the cheaper lesser quality kibble (not always the case but I've certainly been able to lessen the quantity I feed to the girls with Nutro compared to what they used to be fed). So just because a bag might cost more by weight doesn't mean it will be used up in the same time frame. But definitely start with what the breeder is feeding.

Also consider that you feed less of a good quality food, as there is less 'filler'

It's like the difference between eating a nice steak, compared to a burger stretched to it's limits with onion and breadcrumbs. You get more protein and less other stuff from the steak

AS already said there are no Best brands, the best brand is the one that your dog does best on, and that will vary from dog to dog.

No use paying $100 for a bag of food if the dog does not tolerate it and has diarrhoea all the time or spends most of time scratching and chewing at itself, or quite simply wont eat it.

If the Breeder of the dog raises healthy litters and has healthy adult dogs they are the best to guide the process initially.

Whilst it seems popular at the moment to spend as much of the family budget as you can on feeding the dog, it really isn't necessary in most cases.

If you're interested in a top quality locally made product, you can't go past Black Hawk Holistic (see adverts at the top of the DOL pages). It's far more reasonably priced than imported kibble, it's locally made from mostly Australian products and is much fresher than anything coming from overseas.

Oh, and you can request a free sample pack....and they are a very generous size, big enough to work out if your dog will or won't like it.

Edited by GayleK

AS already said there are no Best brands, the best brand is the one that your dog does best on, and that will vary from dog to dog.

No use paying $100 for a bag of food if the dog does not tolerate it and has diarrhoea all the time or spends most of time scratching and chewing at itself, or quite simply wont eat it.

If the Breeder of the dog raises healthy litters and has healthy adult dogs they are the best to guide the process initially.

Whilst it seems popular at the moment to spend as much of the family budget as you can on feeding the dog, it really isn't necessary in most cases.

I totally agree with Crisovar. I have tried some of the recommended foods on DOL thinking maybe there was something better for my dog than what I was feeding but in the end my Golden does best on Optimum, so that's what I'm sticking too.

Do you think you can sneak in some photos of the puppy when it arrives? :( I'm a bit of a sucker for riggie babies. :eek:

Guest english.ivy
Also consider that you feed less of a good quality food, as there is less 'filler'

It's like the difference between eating a nice steak, compared to a burger stretched to it's limits with onion and breadcrumbs. You get more protein and less other stuff from the steak

I agree. I raised a male Pointer pup on Nutro large breed puppy until he was around 7 months old and then switched to Black Hawk Holistic. Now he looks fantastic and has grown very well. A few breeders, judges and dolers have seen him lately and commented in good ways.

They need something will minimal fillers.

Thank so much for the replies everyone!

I will pass on all the info and then they can sort out with the breeder what they think is best.

I have heard alot about the Black Hawk kibble, I think I will look into that for my boys!

They wont be getting him home for a few more weeks yet, but when they do I can guarentee theere will be lots of photos...Ridgies are just the most adorable pups! :eek: