Another Recommend A Breed Thread.

pixie_meg

Also she's fine if they shed, just not a lot. so low shedding is fine. She doesn't want a border collie, wants to try something new. How much do lappies shed?

Lappies shed only when they drop their coat - so once a year for a male, twice a year for an entire female. It's a lot of hair at that point, but the rest of the year its next to nothing so easy to deal with. Most Spitz breeds are like this.

And you can get some lower energy lappies or high energy lappies. My lappie matches my Husky's energy levels even though she's a pup, so it works out well. Plus they're real family dogs and I haven't yet met a lappie that doesn't like kids. And the boys are HUGE cuddlers.

Edited by whiskedaway

She can't go wrong with a lappie. They shed once a year if she has it desexed. And it mostly gets caught in the guard hairs anyway!

They are PERFECT with kids. Mine seeks the kids out, over me. She will go and lay on their bedroom floor when they're sleeping and watches them dreamily. Mine is definitely low drive. She'll go for a walk, and run around the park quite happily, then she's done and just sleeps. Mine mixes well with all other dogs and has gotten out of the destructive puppy chewing stage.

They DO need grooming though...brush through a couple of times a week to keep their coat lovely. Another bonus is that they dont tend to get the horrible doggy smell if you haven't bathed them recently. And they do need to be allowed inside. They LOVE being with their family.

a lappie or a shetland sheepdog wont do as the reason for no long hair is ticks. we're in a bad area and even with preventatives you have to check them regularly. much harder to check a thick long coat. I was also wrong about the breed they currently have. its a 2yr old kelpie cross.

They're leaning towards an aussie terrier.

a lappie or a shetland sheepdog wont do as the reason for no long hair is ticks. we're in a bad area and even with preventatives you have to check them regularly. much harder to check a thick long coat. I was also wrong about the breed they currently have. its a 2yr old kelpie cross.

I thought Aussie terriers were generally pretty energetic little dogs? Maybe not in the same way as a herding breed, but have reasonable exercise requirements?

+ 20 million!

Aussie Tees are fantastic little dogs and they do love to run around, they're awesome with other dogs and are a very hardy breed.

Call me biased but Aussie Tees are so the way to go!!! :)

ETA: They don't really need lots of exercise either and most are happy with a half hour walk per day. They're also very happy to curl up on your lap and lounge around lapping up the typical lazy Aussie lifestyle.

However like any dog, they will need to be mentally stimulated as they're quite intelligent and very eager to please and loyal. Spend time with training and you'll be rewarded with the most loving companion ever and you'll never turn away from the breed again!

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

Greyhound!! My girl doesn't shed anywear near as much as my other dogs, I don't even notice it. She is very people focused but she also loves to play with other dogs. She will sleep all day if you let her, but take her out and she loves to hoon around with the others. :thumbsup: They are very gentle dog and mine loves kids.

Guest Panzer Attack!

Springers & Cockers can be pretty full on, so I'd either be getting an adult who's temperament you can see for yourself, or a pup after thoroughly researching lines. Your friend would also have to be pretty dedicated with grooming or get the doggie clipped short (or do it herself). I've met many spaniels who don't get anywhere near enough exercise and some of them have become quite neurotic as a result. And the matted coats! OMG (not saying your friend is like this)!

It also depends on how hard the kelpie x plays, would they tire each other out? So your friend wouldn't need to worry so much about the exercise component?

I read it as she wanted another breed that would be able to keep up with her current dog, exercise wise, but wouldn't need the working dog-style enrichment they require to be non-destructive (blatant generalisation but border collie, kelpie and Australian Shepherd owners will know exactly what I mean!!)

I love the dinkum little Aussies (the terrier, not the US herder) and exercise wise they will keep up, but they need a fair amount of enrichment too. A bored dinkum aussie is a menace to your pot plants and laundry!!!! LOL!!!

Also even though they are super tough little buggers I would be a little worried about the size discrepancy given that kelpies and their crosses tend to play very very hard. I wouldn't be letting them run together unsupervised until the terrier was a full-size adult. (trust me, I have an 11 month old kelpie cross here at the moment and she knocks me flying in her happy play!)

Also it might ease her burden a little to find out about enrichment toys for her current dog - simple stuff like puzzle food dispensers (a few treats inside an unlidded plastic soft drink bottle work wonders) etc. There been a few threads on those you could search and pass on to her.

I am starting to wonder if she is wanting the second dog mostly to keep the first dog busy - she is probably best seeking an adult or young adult and for the first few months at the very least she will have to put more time into the dogs to ensure harmony. It might be a better idea to spend a little extra time on the first dog now before looking for a second? Or I am I misinterpreting here?

EF typos

Edited by RuralPug

I think an Aussie terrier would be a great choice for your friend. They are enegetic enough to keep up with a kelpie cross, but also love their down time too & are also happy enough to climb on your lap for a cuddle. They love toys for stimulation....& I find they are very rarely destructive if they are provided with enough toys. :)

They are also vey loyal & love to please...so I find them alot more trainable than some of the other terrier breeds.

They are are lovely little characters..full of personality (Large dog in little body ) great with other dogs, good with children, very hardy & healthy, & have a very easy to maintain low shedding coat.

I don't think the size difference would be an issue...my dogs have no issues playing with family members Rotties, & if you check the Aussie terrier thread here you will find pics that another Dol member has posted of her Aussie terrier & her Irish Wolfhound together (now that's a size difference :) )

I agree that if you get a puppy, they will have to supervise them together until the puppy grows...but I would recommend they do that anyway with any breed of puppy they get.

I am starting to wonder if she is wanting the second dog mostly to keep the first dog busy -

oh no, not at all, she can handle her current dogs energy, just prefer something less crazy this time. this isn't a dog for the other dog, first thought is its a dog for the family. i'm sure she'd have plenty of time for the puppy stage as well.

Please check out the pounds and shelters.There are so many dogs to choose from, So many good dogs P.T.S.Please save a dog's life. Have a look through the urgent rescues on here and you will see what i mean.

Edited by budgiew

ok needless to say I reckon a Koolie would fit the bill :)

If she wants a dog who can keep up with her current dog but has an off switch a koolie would most likely suit and if she got a rescue adult dog she would know the energy levels. Otherwise find a good breeder and get a pup :)

Also you can get short coats and they they get on well with kids and other animals.

here is a link for KOOLIE INFORMATION and if she joins the forum there are plenty of knowledgeable minds to pick lol