Another Recommend A Breed Thread.

pixie_meg

Not for me but for a friend.

She's considering a 2nd dog. Now hopefully i get this right.

She is used to border collies but would like something a little more low key for a 2nd dog. I think her current dog is a border. She would like no working breeds, atleast not the ones that need lots of exercising. So something more lazy.

Also

-low to no shedding

-medium sized or appropriate for a medium sized dog to play with

-good with kids. She has a 5 yr old.

-I think she's open to how the dog looks, short faced, long faced, curly haired etc.

:D I'm not sure why she's looking for a low exercise-needs dog here - wouldn't it make more sense to have one that pretty much matched the exercise and enrichment need of her current dog? That way she could exercise them together (no extra time there)and off lead in a secure yard togther thay might exercise each other a little as well, which may not happen if you have two dogs with widely varying requirements in that area.

Can you help me understand why she doesn't want to partner her dog with one of similar activity levels? Maybe if I could grasp the reasoning behind that it would help in figuring out some recommendations.

The only breed for me that springs to mind is a Standard Schnauzer, medium sized, good with kids, non-shedding. Not sure of their energy level, but if it's one thing I've learnt, is that it is a good idea to match the exercise levels of your dogs. While I can understand her desire not to have two dogs with high energy, I guess one way to look at it, is if you she has two dogs, they often wear each other out by playing with another. So if she's used to BCs and likes them, why not get another?

ETA: Snap! Ruralpug beat me with a similar response. :D

Edited by poochmad

:D I'm not sure why she's looking for a low exercise-needs dog here - wouldn't it make more sense to have one that pretty much matched the exercise and enrichment need of her current dog? That way she could exercise them together (no extra time there)and off lead in a secure yard togther thay might exercise each other a little as well, which may not happen if you have two dogs with widely varying requirements in that area.

Can you help me understand why she doesn't want to partner her dog with one of similar activity levels? Maybe if I could grasp the reasoning behind that it would help in figuring out some recommendations.

I understood her at the time, but should clarify further with her.

I have what is a lower energy dog, requires not a lot of input from me. He gets about 1/2 hr exercise most days, but if he has another dog to play with including high energy dogs like borders, poodles, he will keep up with them and enjoy it. Its possible they want calmer energy for their kid.

I think she doesn't necessarily want inactive just not as active as some herding dogs. Afterall some dogs, especially intelligent dogs can get up to mischief if you don't meet their needs

Ah yes I can understand that! I have a hyper dog here, who is also super smart. It is not for sissies!

Maybe a miniature poodle might be a good option? Enough energy to keep up and match it with the BC, but not as demanding for exercise due to the smaller size. Mind you, not lazy so if it is a laid-back soul they are seeking that might not be a good choice.

Struggling to think of others, but perhaps Tibetan Terrier but they are quite rare.

If they were flexible re the shedding issue that would open up quite a few more options. If they already have a BC then I assume no allergies so low shedding might be more of a preference than a need?

If so, how about an English Springer or perhaps a Field Spaniel? More laid back types, but big enough to cope. Some shedding involved but not excessive I don't think.

I agree with ruralpug,

we started with one bc, and adding another didn't add to the work load.. and they wear each other out!!!

I walk them together and being so similar in nature they get along really really well...

OK that makes sense, she doesn't want another dog with a high enrichment requirement - I am imagining busy mum with young 'uns left with 2 x destructo dog if they don't get their needs met sort of thing. :D

Maybe one of the spaniels then or the dedicated retrieving gundogs? Not one of the multi-purpose gundogs, (Vizlas or Wei for instance seem to need just as much busywork as a herding breed) but something like a Pointer or Setter? One of the larger Spaniels???

Curlycoats might tick the non-shedding box too!

Unfortunately all those breeds I've mentioned are not exactly easy to aquire these days...if we totally ignore the shedding bit, then labrador or golden retreiver might suit. Of course most dogs in general, go through a goofy destructo puppy stage which is almost as bad as a bored working dog-type, an adult might work better.

Of course the previously mentioned greyhound would probably be ideal and there are plenty of adults available through grey rescue!!

ETA - hey, Dalmation might work well here too!

Edited by RuralPug

The only breed for me that springs to mind is a Standard Schnauzer, medium sized, good with kids, non-shedding. Not sure of their energy level, but if it's one thing I've learnt, is that it is a good idea to match the exercise levels of your dogs. While I can understand her desire not to have two dogs with high energy, I guess one way to look at it, is if you she has two dogs, they often wear each other out by playing with another. So if she's used to BCs and likes them, why not get another?

ETA: Snap! Ruralpug beat me with a similar response. :cheer:

They need a lot of exercise. Some breeders have posted that if you can't handle a GSD or a rotti, you can't handle a standard schnauzer. They aren't a bigger version of the mini schnauzer - they are a completely different dog. If someone is looking for an easy going dog that doesn't require much work from their owner they're very low on the list of dogs I'd recommend.

Can you ask your friend how important the non-shedding thing is? Because when someone asks for one, people tend to just list the dogs that don't shed and they are all VERY different dogs. Hair is just hair and unless she has specific allergies, I wouldn't recommend someone use it as a key criteria for getting a dog. The personality, exercise needs etc should play a much more important part in breed selection IMO.

Most BC's I know are very owner focused and don't really enjoy just playing with other dogs - they like to do something useful with their owner.

Another thing to consider is that herding dogs tend to mix best with other herding dogs. Many other breeds don't understand the herding style of play, and many herding breeds don't understand other types of play.

Another thing to consider is that herding dogs tend to mix best with other herding dogs. Many other breeds don't understand the herding style of play, and many herding breeds don't understand other types of play.

+1

You could also look for more relaxed lines of some of the herding breeds.

Not low shedding, but low coat care would be a Smooth Collie. Collies make wonderful family pets, are easy to train, medium size, get on with other herding breeds but aren't anywhere near as energetic as a Border Collie. A Rough Collie would be perfect except the coat does need grooming of about half an hour a week (plus baths when required) but the Smooth variety would be less than that.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who want a dog but restrict themselves to a handful of non-sheddig breeds that need expensive clipping and grooming, rather than looking at all breeds and be prepared to do a bit of brushing. Most pet owners are not up to the grooming of an OES but many long coated breeds are no more work than the shorter coats that shed all the time.

I wonder if the OPs friend realises that most non-shedding breeds need professional clipping and grooming every 6 weeks for life.

Shetland sheepdog -Sheltie ,Less active than a Border.Will shed once a year i think.

yep - if desexed - once a year (or if a boy).

A good suggestion - and I am not biased at all :cheer:

I have noticed that this is especially true with mine.

Another suggestion - Lagoto - relaxed dogs, no shedding. Gorgeous temperaments. Medium size. May be just right.

Thank you all, you came up with many of the breeds i was thinking of.

Also she's fine if they shed, just not a lot. so low shedding is fine. She doesn't want a border collie, wants to try something new. How much do lappies shed?

I agree that some groups don't necessarily get along well with other groups. My borzoi(hound group) has problems with many herding dogs. They don't agree with each other. I'll suggest a grey, she is interested in rescues also.

Spaniels i think are a good option. so springers, fields, cockers, what about cavs? flat coast, curly coats, what about irish water spaniels.

will ask her whether the dog will be indoors and how much grooming she will give.

Does she want the dog as a companion for the BC ie do they have to be able to play together?

If not, then a greyhound would be fit. Most are very laid back, lovely dogs but not really suited for a really active lifestyle.

Spaniels can be very full on, particularly springers and some lines of cockers.

Flatties and curly coats are probably about as active as a labrador (very active and full on generally!) maybe a bit less?

I would have thought most gundogs would need a good hour of exercise a day, probably almost as much as a herding breed.

A Cav would be a good option if the dog is to be allowed indoors. Also, Bichons are sweet little dogs that don't need heaps of exercise.

If they do go with another herding breed I have heard Lappies are fairly laid back (for a herding dog).