Staffy Jumping The Fence

Shaybay

PLEASE HELP,

our 12month old american staffy loves to bounce around and recently we had a little dog behind us bark non stop, they finally moved out and now our staffy has found a way to jump a 6ft fence to their backyard , Im affraid she will jump over our other fence as is it on a road. shes tied up now whenever we go out but barks.

Build an enclosed run, my staffy is 8 and still jumps the fences. Yesterday I caught her climbing on an upturned wheelbarrow trying to use it as height to help her jump over our extended height fence, onto the neighbours garden shed roof, and that was while I was in the backyard.

Hey there,

I had a staffy x of unknown heritage that used to easily go over our 6 foot paling fence.

We borrowed an electric fence set up from a friend that had a cattle property.

She used to launch at the fence, getting her back legs to land on the middle rail and her front feet on the top rail and then over she'd go. The placement of the fence is very important as they need to be 'earthed' for it to work. We placed our 'tape line' (the fence) about 18 inches in the yard from the fence at roughly the same height off the ground. This meant she couldnt leap over it and she couldn't get under it and then go up the fence, there wasn't the room for the required jump. I think she got 'hit' twice, then never went near it again.

We have also used an electric fence with our current two amstaffs to stop them going in our truck bay of the shed, they like to chew the wiring, OH didn't like fixing it. They have both been hit a couple of times each, now when the orange tape is up, we have two rows due to the setup of the open bay, they don't go near it. Once Lilly got carried away playing when we ducked to the newsagent and we came home to find her sitting IN the truck bay inside the fence (it was turned off) and not game to come back through. So even though she'd got in with haste and distraction and no ill affect, she wasn't game to come back out once she realised where she was. Lucky we were only gone 20minutes.

Our two got out once, we had only had them for about 3 weeks and they got out under the fence. We blocked the gap they had created and we haven't had the problem again and have now had them 7 months. Thankfully this time round I was clever enough to ensure the fence builder put the rails in the neighbours yards and we have the flush side with the palings, no launch pads! The back fence has the rails but the back fence has an array of 'things' hanging off it so the possibility isn't really there. Thankfully though neither of them appear to be that good of jumpers! Boof DEFINATELY isn't, Lilly might go close.

Good luck, but my strong suggestion would be to get your hands on an electric fence, they come with different settings so you can start low, if this works great. Otherwise up the anti!

Build an enclosed run, my staffy is 8 and still jumps the fences. Yesterday I caught her climbing on an upturned wheelbarrow trying to use it as height to help her jump over our extended height fence, onto the neighbours garden shed roof, and that was while I was in the backyard.

Ratbag.... she's determined!

Thankfully Shelby (my names sake and aforemention staffy x unknown) grew out of this habbit at about 3 and when she moved in with my mum and dad they didn't have to bother!

thankyou :D she is a playful little girl.. we are trying to find budget solutions as we have alot of bills and we are renting so we have limits i thought around pvc on the fence top does that work?? we also try runs everyday and kong balls and lots of toys

Not sure about the pvc working. Some people put an extention on their fence that slopes inward, I have not been able to do that in my yard, but in all honesty in my opinion a dog run is the safest way of being sure that your dog cant get out.

I bought everything to make mine from the scrap metal recycling place in town, the posts, the mesh and the gate, then I just bought quick set cement from the hardware shop, dug holes put the posts and cement in then attached the mesh. Really give me peace of mind with my brat.

When she was younger one day I walked her for 2 hours and within 10 minutes of being home she jumped the fence :D I thought she hated me ;) .

People in the past described her as ADHD - my husband say is stands for A D!ckHead Dog :laugh:

I am about to move houses to a rental (currently at my parents) and I am a little nervous that Phoenix (my Amstaff X) who is 8 months old may start fence jumping/escaping and the fences are not very high, this hasn't been a concern at my current place because there is always pretty much someone home even if she is left alone in her play pen but she will now be at home with just her and Keira for 10 hours a day. Was considering getting some sort of extension on the fencing but now people mention electric fencing that might be a better option.

Where did you get your electric fencing from? What model is it? And approx how much was it? Thanks!

thankyou :D she is a playful little girl.. we are trying to find budget solutions as we have alot of bills and we are renting so we have limits i thought around pvc on the fence top does that work?? we also try runs everyday and kong balls and lots of toys

My aunties border collie still got over the fence with pvc pipe on it so you can try it but it didnt work for her dog.

Must be a staffy thing :D

My dad once had a little staffy that somehow managed to get herself on the neighbour's roof! Some things I will never understand ;)

Best of luck finding a solution!

Is she actually jumping OVER the fence, or climbing the fence? If she's climbing the fence, setup new fencing without the horizontal posts, or pool fencing etc.

If you are renting; you could invest in a Petsafe Pet Containment System. I can highly recommend them IF you apply yourself to the directions correctly and do the work.

One of the quickest and cheapest and most effective is to put a yoke on it

made from two pieces of poly pipe.

Hang on Ive got a photo of it somewhere Ill go looking. The yoke hangs around their neck almost down to the ground so they cant climb with it on. Very harmless but effective. Takes a couple of weeks and then when the yoke comes off they dont try again.

I am about to move houses to a rental (currently at my parents) and I am a little nervous that Phoenix (my Amstaff X) who is 8 months old may start fence jumping/escaping and the fences are not very high, this hasn't been a concern at my current place because there is always pretty much someone home even if she is left alone in her play pen but she will now be at home with just her and Keira for 10 hours a day. Was considering getting some sort of extension on the fencing but now people mention electric fencing that might be a better option.

Where did you get your electric fencing from? What model is it? And approx how much was it? Thanks!

I bought a thunderbird B120 off ebay last year.

the unit itself was about $150, add in extra wire, a battery (12v sealed unit designed as back up power for home alarm systems) and a solar charger, total cost was around $250.

I am also going to add the plastic wire holders that can be nailed to our paling fence as the little plastic posts are too flimsy, too few, and stand back too far from the fence (and I hate having to whipper snip around them).

Is she actually jumping OVER the fence, or climbing the fence? If she's climbing the fence, setup new fencing without the horizontal posts, or pool fencing etc.

If you are renting; you could invest in a Petsafe Pet Containment System. I can highly recommend them IF you apply yourself to the directions correctly and do the work.

Good point. My GR climbed over my wooden fence last week. So I kept her at my sister's place while I got the entire fencing changed. I have now put 6 ft colour bond fencing and there is no way she can climb those.

I borrowed mine from family friends for the staffy x that had a cattle property and the current one we have belongs to the OH's parents. They had it on 15 acres they used to own so I can't help there sorry.

This is a good point as this is how Shelby use to get over the fence, she jump up at the fence and land on the middle n top rails, then launch over hence the placement of our 'tape'.

Mum n Dad have a dog beside them though that clears their 5.5foot fence from a standing start. He's a mixed bull bread probably been purchased as a 'bull arab' or something i'd say and it's like he has springs in his feet. Two rows of wire as an extension to the top of the fence leaning into his yard would stop him but the dog belongs to the son and they are both 'boarding, with his parents who don't like the dog, so no one is bothering.