People Are Gullible!

Ker

A friend found a little dog running on the road yesterday. A woman was chasing it, and he stopped without hitting it and spoke to the woman. Apparently, she had found it 10 days earlier, and had it at her house - not notifying pound, vets etc. She told my friend that it wasn't house trained and she was taking it to the pound - albeit 10 days later.

Friend took puppy to the vet and had it scanned for a chip - no chip. He left his details with the vet and took it back to his house to look after and hopefully get a call from an owner before taking it to the pound.

Today he got a call from a very relieved owner. The kids had accidentally let it out and she had been looking for it ever since. She was a bit perplesxed and annoyed that the last owner had done nothing to look for the true owner.

And this is where the gullible bit comes in. Friend asked what breed the dog was. "Oh, it's a Russett". A what? Jack Russell X Basset Hound. He tactfully explained that it wasn't a breed. She told him the full story - they wanted a dog and went to the "most reputable pet store" - Pets Paradise and paid $650 for him! PP told them that it was a "purebred Russett" and for an extra $100, they could get "papers". They got chatting and friend told her about dog rescue and puppy farms. The woman had NO idea and was horrified.

It was her dog and when she came to pick it up, she had photos, her neighbour as extra back up that it is her dog, and the stuff from PP. She had paperwork from them that showed her dog was "registered with the Canine Ownership registry". Never heard of that organisation before! Must be a new thing from PP lol.

So the upshot is that there is a very relieved owner, reunited with her pup and hopefuly educated a little more as to what happens behind the scenes of the cute puppy in the window industry.

Isn't chipping now compulsory in NSW? It is in QLD as of last year, all pups sold have to be microchipped. Our pet shop (lil town of 8000) won't sell pups unless they are chipped since the new law and they have an arrangement with the vet if the whole litter is done at once they get it cheaper, and the vet will go down there to them.

I suspect the 'Canine Ownership Registry' is actually the microchip registry.

But the puppy was scanned and found not to have a chip. If they have paperwork it must have a sticker from the chip on it to be valid. Sounds very strange to me.

It amazes me how people fall for these 'oodles' being actual breeds. I had an argument on Facebook the other day when a friend wrote she was getting a dog and didn't know what to get and people were writing suggestions and someone wrote get a 'Jug'...a jack Russell x pug and was saying it's a designer dog etc. I wrote saying I always thought a jug was something you hold liquids in and there is no such thing as a designer dog just cross-breeds with made up names. Didn't go down too well...

Glad pup was re-united with the owners, even if it took a while!

It amazes me how people fall for these 'oodles' being actual breeds. I had an argument on Facebook the other day when a friend wrote she was getting a dog and didn't know what to get and people were writing suggestions and someone wrote get a 'Jug'...a jack Russell x pug and was saying it's a designer dog etc. I wrote saying I always thought a jug was something you hold liquids in and there is no such thing as a designer dog just cross-breeds with made up names. Didn't go down too well...

Good on you! :D I'm always the "party pooper" too when people start saying things like that but I don't care :D

Lol, I had a similar fb argument on a garage sale page, someone was wanting to sell her 'spoodle' and went on to say he isnt desexed and would make "such cute puppies"...I did get a lot of people tell me to get a life, but I finally got my point across after saying (god knows how many times they kept deleting my posts) "I dont care what you call your cross bred mutt, but take out the part about him making puppies"

Of course I did have a really nice photo of my purebred Golden in my profile pic lol

Lol, I had a similar fb argument on a garage sale page, someone was wanting to sell her 'spoodle' and went on to say he isnt desexed and would make "such cute puppies"...I did get a lot of people tell me to get a life, but I finally got my point across after saying (god knows how many times they kept deleting my posts) "I dont care what you call your cross bred mutt, but take out the part about him making puppies"

Of course I did have a really nice photo of my purebred Golden in my profile pic lol

Haha same, I had a display pic of me stacking my bully at a show. I don't care if people don't like it they need to be challenged on their un-educated belief systems sometimes! If those of us who know better don't pipe up everyone who reads it thinks that what they are saying is factual! It makes me see red when anyone writes adds saying 'would make cute puppies' or 'bitch for sale in heat would make cute puppies' :D

Guest Panzer Attack!

Guy at work the other day saw my older boy and asked if he too was a "Scruffy Terrier". ?? I said he was a poundie and definitely had JRT in him and the poor guy proudly told me about his pure Scruffy Terrier he got from PP. He was a lovely dog, and looked just like T - big corgi body with JRT colouring and face. Bit weird! And only had the tiniest amount of scruff.

Guy at work the other day saw my older boy and asked if he too was a "Scruffy Terrier". ?? I said he was a poundie and definitely had JRT in him and the poor guy proudly told me about his pure Scruffy Terrier he got from PP. He was a lovely dog, and looked just like T - big corgi body with JRT colouring and face. Bit weird! And only had the tiniest amount of scruff.

It's really false/misleading advertising on PP's part isn't it? If a breed doesn't exist how can you sell it?

I got confused once when i walked passed PP and it said Purebred border collies i looked in and seen Bull terriers. Roman head bull terrier markings and bodies to match. People stupid enough to buy it thinking its a border collie are gonna be pretty suprised :rofl:

The other disturbing thing about this story is that the woman chasing the dog seems to have 'found' the dog and I reckon she thought about keeping it....after 10 days worked out it was not house trained and that was a bit of hard work so she'd take it to the pound. That is disgraceful. Any decent person finding a dog should try to find the owner - if you keep it your house, put a FOUND add in the paper, let all the local vets know you have it and the RSPCA and other shelters in case anyone looks for it.

Why someone has a dog without even a collar with a number or address on it is beyond me. Mine have high quality metal engraved tags and collars...as well as the microchip. i wonder what happens if she kept it and a year later she is at the vet and the original owner see her there and says "Hey that is MY dog!'. Who is the legal owner of the dog if it is not registered with the council and not chipped?

Edited by Sky