Mating Options

Puzzling over what to do here. The dog is proven stud dog and lives in WA - so driving to him is not an option. Bitch hasn't had a litter but has had an accidental tie that we fixed with Alizin so she's not unfamiliar with what is required! She lives with me.

I would prefer a live mating. The first option was to fly the bitch over with me going with her but there is a chance the owner of the stud dog will be overseas when she is due in. I'm not sure how feasible it is to fly the dog, he is older (9). There aren't any genetic tests in our breed which is why the accepted health protocol is to use older dogs. The nasties have usually shown up by the time they hit 8 or 9.

I suppose the obvious option in this situation is just to do chilled/frozen despite my preference for a live mating. But I'm not sure if that would be more or less likely to produce a result. How long is a piece of string?

I'd absolutley go frozen, chilled from WA to ACT/NSW has too many time risk variables for me.

with a good repro vet, frozen is the way to go.

Personally the risks of stressing your girl with the travel, and her closing down her season with stress would be my decider.

fifi

efs

Edited by fifi

Just wondering how easy that would be if the stud dog's owner was away.

Is the stud dog's owner at all interested in the mating? Who is minding the dog while they are away? Could they not arrange to have a stud master/vet on standby to do the collection and mix up for the chilled and a trusted friend (or pay the extra $$ to the stud master/vet) to freight it?

Is the stud dog's owner at all interested in the mating? Who is minding the dog while they are away? Could they not arrange to have a stud master/vet on standby to do the collection and mix up for the chilled and a trusted friend (or pay the extra $$ to the stud master/vet) to freight it?

Yes that's all possible so maybe it is possible. And yes Fifi, the stress of travel bothered me even tho' they are a pretty robust breed. Hmm.

Something to ponder, if the stud dog owner will be away and you fly your girl over, will the dog's carer have the skills to do fresh AI or permission to take him to a vet for one if a mating isn't forthcoming ?

I know several people who have had this happen and it's something to plan for.

fifi

Something to ponder, if the stud dog owner will be away and you fly your girl over, will the dog's carer have the skills to do fresh AI or permission to take him to a vet for one if a mating isn't forthcoming ?

I know several people who have had this happen and it's something to plan for.

Yes, I'm guessing anything other than frozen is going to be hard with the complication of the owner potentially being away - it's not hard to set contigency plans up but follow through can never be guaranteed. So far I'm leaning towards your suggestion of frozen.

I'm certainly not trying to be devil's advocate, but all of these scenarios or events have happened to me personally or close friends !

If you have an outstanding repro vet, and a well charted season, your chances with a maiden are as good as a natural from what I've experienced :-)

fifi

I recently toyed with this option myself, however i chose to send my maiden bitch over to the dog (from WA to ACT). The stress of timing it right and the process of organising chilled was just too much and the risk high... however the stud dog owner was there so i didn't run into the issues you face of being overseas. The dog was proven but a younger male. lucky for me the matings were successful. I think given the option again i would still choose to fly if viable... my bitch coped quite well and Weimaraners are known for stressing/anxiety but she was fine at the other end.

I would make sure stud owner has frozen semen in storage, but plan to send the bitch over there for natural matings until the breeder goes o/s, then just before breeder leaves (if bitch hasnt come in yet), get the frozen shipped over just in case the bitch came in season while stud owner was away. I have sent bitches over to WA a few times with good success, and will be having frozen sent over this year too. Good luck.

Edited by Bulldust

I've looked at similar options and it's very hard to decide on a course of action!

After much deliberation and research I decided frozen would be best, considering the difficulty of timing my travel with the girl, with time off work, and exact peak season etc. A big consideration is the potential for stress effecting the bitch's season as well.

I have had a similar situation as you in other ways too, with an older male that may not be so suited to interstate travel as a youngster - so possibly negating the option of the dog travelling to the bitch.

I did consider chilled semen but the timing can be hard with long interstate flights, and it is so easy to blow everything on a simple delay that's outside of your control.

Chilled semen.

I'm thinking of this with my next mating.

Well my thoughts would be, who ever is in charge of the dog takes it to the vet for the collection.

This is of course arranged with the owner before hand.

If you decide on frozen it could may not work if the owner doesn't already have some on ice. Some older dogs do not have semen that freezes well and it is usually recomended that you take semen to freeze by 7 years if possible.

Other options are fly with the bitch and organise the mating yourself at wherever the dog will be or if you know the stud owner well, offer to fly him over and board him for free while the owner is away.

No idea with chilled semen as I don't know anyone that has used it successfully or otherwise. Results with frozen from among my friends seem to be about half and half, completely successful or just as often, missed or singleton puppies.