Dog Breed Suggestions

haven

Firstly, is there a special place for threads on this topic? I know they are relatively common and some people get a bit shirty about them clogging up general, but I wasn't sure where else to put it as I can't start a new thread in the breed sub forums. If there is somewhere this is supposed to be please feel free to report it to be moved, or let me know so I can do so :)

I'm looking into getting another dog but I'm undecided as to what breed will best suit my lifestyle and requirements. I have a Rottweiler bitch, who currently resides at my Mum's house with her dogs as she has been miserable alone since my GSD died. I haven't been in the right circumstances to bring a second dog into the family since then, however I am about to move permanently and Nova will be coming home with us as soon as I can get her a companion (she will only fret again if I bring her home to be an only dog). This isn't the only reason I want to get another dog, but it makes the situation more pressing for me because I've missed her awfully :( I won't be impulse buying just because I want a dog sooner rather than later, if necessary Nova can stay with my Mum or I can temporarily foster a dog as a companion for her, but if I can find the right dog in the mean time then that would be ideal.

I would like a dog that is ok with other dogs and has no known genetic tendency for dog aggression. I need a dog that is good with children as I have a 2.5 year old Daughter (who has been raised with various animals and is very well behaved with them, but would never be left unsupervised regardless). I'd prefer a medium sized dog, ideally not so large that I couldn't lift them when required, and I prefer breeds that have a more imposing look or reputation because I feel safer at home and out walking and I've found these types of dogs, as a general rule, match me best in terms of personality and lifestyle. I'd like a robust dog, active dog without that crazy OTT kind of energy and I would be training them to a high standard for practical reasons and because I just enjoy training. I'd like a low shedding and low coat care breed if possible.

If I had to place my list in order of priority it would probably read:

Sound temperament, good with children (under supervision)

No tendency or predisposition for dog aggression

Looks (ie as a deterrent)

Size

Low shedding/grooming

Trainability isn't a huge issue because I'm not a first time owner or trainer and I could work with a breed generally considered to be less trainable.

On my list were Rottweiler, GSD, Bull Terrier, Stafford etc but they all seem to be ruled out by one or more of the preferences above. I've worked with heaps of different dog breeds as a trainer and I just can't think of one that would be a perfect fit. Of course if need be I will compromise, but if anyone can suggest a breed so I don't have to, that would be super!

ETA said dog would be an inside and outside dog, although mostly restricted to the tiled areas of the house (all of the main living areas).

TIA

Edited by haven

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Cloggng up general"???

I LOVE these threads!! :laugh:

You asked for:

No tendency or predisposition for dog aggressionLooks (ie as a deterrent)

Size

Low shedding/grooming

All of the above says "well bred gundog" to me. Your chances of dog aggression in most gundog breeds from knowledgeable breeders would be fairly low. Your average member of the public will be wary of large dogs and large black dogs in particular.

I'd be suggesting a black Labrador but they do shed. If you were prepared to consider a larger (but not bulky) dog, I'd have a good hard look at Pointers - lovely dogs.

The Hound Group is another group that's largely been bred to get on with other dogs. Pity you want an imposing dog as I think a Whippet really ticks all the other boxes well. I think a Deerhound would be another prospect to consider - love them!

Edited by poodlefan

The Hound Group is another group that's largely been bred to get on with other dogs. Pity you want an imposing dog as I think a Whippet really ticks all the other boxes well. I think a Deerhound would be another prospect to consider - love them!

Yep, if you hadn't said imposing, I would have said lappie, because they tick all the boxes too. And even though they have a big coat the grooming on most of them isn't too bad - quick brush to make sure there's no knots once a week, and they don't drop any coat unless they're blowing it (which admittedly is a lot then, but its only once or twice a year for a week or two).

Re gundogs, our Vizslas shed a LOT. It was nuts, they would shed WAY more than even my Sibe does, but it is only short hair. I think Pointers would be a good match though as Poodlefan said.

Yes i agree with poodle fan.I grew up with a g,s,pointer great dog, Look at curly coated retrievers;Airedale;Boxer.Try Showdog.com dog breed selector.and K9 Country K9 considerations breed selector tool.

Edited by budgiew

Hmm.. hard to think of one who looks imposing but is also dog friendly. I think PF's suggestin of a black lab is a good one. The more pointers i meet, the more i like them and they'd tick all of the boxes except imposing looking.

Firstly, is there a special place for threads on this topic? I know they are relatively common and some people get a bit shirty about them clogging up general, but I wasn't sure where else to put it as I can't start a new thread in the breed sub forums. If there is somewhere this is supposed to be please feel free to report it to be moved, or let me know so I can do so :)

I'm looking into getting another dog but I'm undecided as to what breed will best suit my lifestyle and requirements. I have a Rottweiler bitch, who currently resides at my Mum's house with her dogs as she has been miserable alone since my GSD died. I haven't been in the right circumstances to bring a second dog into the family since then, however I am about to move permanently and Nova will be coming home with us as soon as I can get her a companion (she will only fret again if I bring her home to be an only dog). This isn't the only reason I want to get another dog, but it makes the situation more pressing for me because I've missed her awfully :( I won't be impulse buying just because I want a dog sooner rather than later, if necessary Nova can stay with my Mum or I can temporarily foster a dog as a companion for her, but if I can find the right dog in the mean time then that would be ideal.

I would like a dog that is ok with other dogs and has no known genetic tendency for dog aggression. I need a dog that is good with children as I have a 2.5 year old Daughter (who has been raised with various animals and is very well behaved with them, but would never be left unsupervised regardless). I'd prefer a medium sized dog, ideally not so large that I couldn't lift them when required, and I prefer breeds that have a more imposing look or reputation because I feel safer at home and out walking and I've found these types of dogs, as a general rule, match me best in terms of personality and lifestyle. I'd like a robust dog, active dog without that crazy OTT kind of energy and I would be training them to a high standard for practical reasons and because I just enjoy training. I'd like a low shedding and low coat care breed if possible.

If I had to place my list in order of priority it would probably read:

No tendency or predisposition for dog aggression

Looks (ie as a deterrent)

Size

Low shedding/grooming

Trainability isn't a huge issue because I'm not a first time owner or trainer and I could work with a breed generally considered to be less trainable.

On my list were Rottweiler, GSD, Bull Terrier, Stafford etc but they all seem to be ruled out by one or more of the preferences above. I've worked with heaps of different dog breeds as a trainer and I just can't think of one that would be a perfect fit. Of course if need be I will compromise, but if anyone can suggest a breed so I don't have to, that would be super!

ETA said dog would be an inside and outside dog, although mostly restricted to the tiled areas of the house (all of the main living areas).

TIA

Plenty of nice German Shepherd show dogs bit flat on the drive with good nerve making excellent choice for my opinion. I being careful on the Bull breeding for dog aggression, better with Shepherd Dog or black Labrador my wife has one of them is surprising to me has more deterrent for guarding than I expected, much more deterrent effecting than the yellow Labrador? Shepherd is better on the deterrent of course and no one ever knowing the training in protection Shepherd Dog may having.

Joe

I am thinking Black Lab, if you can handle the hair which may be similar to a Rotti?? or a GSP. Many peopel think they are Dobes for some reason especially if you get a fairly solid one. I LOVE GSP's so that would be my choice :)

I am thinking Black Lab, if you can handle the hair which may be similar to a Rotti?? or a GSP. Many peopel think they are Dobes for some reason especially if you get a fairly solid one. I LOVE GSP's so that would be my choice :)

I didn't mention them because I thought they might be more active a dog than Haven is looking for.

The good ones are great dogs though.. and quite imposing.

Yes i agree with poodle fan.I grew up with a g,s,pointer great dog, Look at curly coated retrievers;Airedale;Boxer.Try Showdog.com dog breed selector.and K9 Country K9 considerations breed selector tool.

I wouldn't consider anything with terrier to be very low-risk of dog aggression.

I was thinking Black Labrador, too, but wasn't going to post it because many people alway seem to be recommending their own breed :laugh: But now that I see others have suggested it, I say Black Lab thumbsup1.gif The only thing it doesn't tick is the shedding. If you're open to an adult, that would be my suggestion, as a Lab puppy may be too bouncy for your 2.5 year old.

I didn't mention them because I thought they might be more active a dog than Haven is looking for.

The good ones are great dogs though.. and quite imposing.

They are when young but with training as Haven wishes to do I think they would be pretty good as their brain is occupied. They are pretty full on teenagers though, and I have found the males a little more laid back, but not sure if they are all like that. No-one gives choccies eyes better than a gorgeous male GSP.

I was thinking Black Labrador, too, but wasn't going to post it because many people alway seem to be recommending their own breed :laugh: But now that I see others have suggested it, I say Black Lab thumbsup1.gif The only thing it doesn't tick is the shedding. If you're open to an adult, that would be my suggestion, as a Lab puppy may be too bouncy for your 2.5 year old.

I think the blacks tend to be overlooked by a lot of folk in favour of yellows and chocolates.

A black Lab in great condition GLEAMS.. love them. :) Love all the colours actually.

I think the blacks tend to be overlooked by a lot of folk in favour of yellows and chocolates.

A black Lab in great condition GLEAMS.. love them. :) Love all the colours actually.

Yes, the blacks do shine! So does a dark choc actually. But I'm a yellow fan :o Was thinking of a black for #3, but think I'm going back to my first love, a yellow Lab :love:

Yes, the blacks do shine! So does a dark choc actually. But I'm a yellow fan :o Was thinking of a black for #3, but think I'm going back to my first love, a yellow Lab :love:

Shouldn't you go for one of each for a 'rainbow' effect?

Shouldn't you go for one of each for a 'rainbow' effect?

I keep thinking I should too to finish the colour set off, but in the end, it comes down to the individual dog I love and yellow is it. Sorry haven for taking this off topic :o But I think we're saying perhaps you should go for the Black Lab :laugh: