Split Matings

Irish Lassy

Hi guys-

Just after some information as i have heard of people performing? splitmatings recently-

weather AI or natural.

-why and what are the resons for this?

-how do you DNA the puppies-expenses etc?

-Does any one know the rates of sucessfulness(is that a word?!!)

Just after some general information to satisfy my own curiosity of the people who have used split matings, thinking about it or just have some basic knowledge on the subject

Thanks in advance!!!

:thanks:

Sorry never heard the term split matings, or do you mean dual matings.

If you mean dual mating they are being done a lot now because many of the CC registered breeders are so restricted in by their controlling bodies as to to how many litters a bitch may have in an allocated time.

This way using dual sire we can beat them and have two litter by different dogs at the same time.

Yes it does work and the pups are DNA tested when they are vaccinated and micro chipped at 8 weeks.

I have never done it personally but friends have and have found it successful.

I would definately consider a dual mating with frozen semen, its risky in terms of cost and using precious semen, but would be especially useful in our breed where you have a very tiny window for success. In reality in the giants, that three or so year window can disappear very quickly if you have a couple of misses.

It would also be a way to get a few steps ahead in your breeding programme, if say you were planning to mate your bitch to firstly dog 'A' and then a later litter with dog 'B', if both sires had pups in the litter you are already there.

Of course the huge risk is that none take or only one sire.

I think its about $110 to DNA test each puppy, you'd also have to have the dam & sire's DNA profiles too, not every country is familiar with the process though.

fifi

Haven't done it myself (yet ..LOL) but know people who have ... with success.

Friends of mine did it as they had decided to have a final litter from there bitch who had

produced well for them ... they had 2 dogs they were deciding between and decided to use both.

The results ... 5 pups - 2 by one sire, 3 by the other ....

Another case was they wanted to use an "older" dog who was a bit "hit and miss" .. they used

him and his son .... the result .. 3 pups .. all by the older dog :) they were happy.

Definitely something I would consider. If it works well it saves a bitch having two litters. (Obviously if all the pups have the same sire it's a great way of being disappointed)

IMO is an obvious solution in breeds which have large litters but doubt it's going to be widely used by people in breeds where two is a big litter :)

As for the cost of DNA, well it's pretty minor compared with the cost of raising two litters when one would give you the same result.

Edited by Sandra777

• 3 weeks later...

So Just to clarify, can anyone please answer the following:

- Is intention of a dual sire mating required prior to the matings taking place in order fot the litter to be recognized and registered?

- Is the only option AI, or could combinations be used e.g fresh AI(dog a) actual mating (dog b)?

- Is it expected or restricted to - semen/matings for dog A and dog B to occur on the same day?

- Are there any breed council restrictions known which may impact on participating in other breed schemes?

I can't think of anything else right now but would love answers to the above.

Thanks in advance :D

We did Dual Sire litter our 2nd last litter. No notification was required to state body. Litter must be DNA Profiled to certify parentage ofcourse to register. Unfortunately for us we didn't get any puppies from the 1st sire - older dog, now proven to be infertile. But I would do it again without issue.

We did AI / Natural Mating. They weren't on the same day. I am not aware of any restrictions placed on the procedure at all just that sire/dam/litter must be DNA Profiled (which we do anyway).

Your breed restrictions might be different though - you will need to check with your breed clubs / schemes.

So Just to clarify, can anyone please answer the following:

- Is intention of a dual sire mating required prior to the matings taking place in order fot the litter to be recognized and registered?

No.

- Is the only option AI, or could combinations be used e.g fresh AI(dog a) actual mating (dog b)?

Yes

- Is it expected or restricted to - semen/matings for dog A and dog B to occur on the same day?

No

- Are there any breed council restrictions known which may impact on participating in other breed schemes?

Not for my breed.

I did 2 Dual sire litter.

Litter 1 : 4 puppies (3 from 1 sire and 1 from the other sire)

Litter 2: 1 Puppy

Both litters were DNA profiled (after chipping).

Litter 1 I had 2 stud certificates and submitted these with DNA certificates and Microchip details to DogSNSW.

Litter 2 as far as DogsNSW was concerned was a normal litter so just the stud certificate sent (only 1 Dad so did not send the DNA results in)

Both Dad's were natural matings. One boy in the morning and the other in the evening.

That's exactly what I needed to know :thumbsup:

I was thinking the real benefits would be if you had a hit and miss male but wanted to cover your chances of a litter. Was also hoping it wasn't restricted to AI.

I know the TCA recognize it so know I just need to confirm the GSDCA does not have any additional restrictions.

Thanks heaps guys :D

I was also wondering today...

What exactly do you tell potential puppy buyers of the parentage?

I'd be interested to know how you would display this on for eg. your website, and if puppy buyers understand that pups a, b and c are sired by dog (A), while pups d, e and f are sired by dog (B).

Would love to know how much ppl have disclosed to puppy buyers, what responses have been and if you'd approach it differently next time. Not that it really matters what the public think, rather the benefit of your own breed and to carry on for yourself, but a lot of puppies will go to pet homes.

Cheers :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was also wondering today...

What exactly do you tell potential puppy buyers of the parentage?

I'd be interested to know how you would display this on for eg. your website, and if puppy buyers understand that pups a, b and c are sired by dog (A), while pups d, e and f are sired by dog (B).

Would love to know how much ppl have disclosed to puppy buyers, what responses have been and if you'd approach it differently next time. Not that it really matters what the public think, rather the benefit of your own breed and to carry on for yourself, but a lot of puppies will go to pet homes.

Cheers :)

On my website I just just didn't put who the Dad was and I explained to Puppy owners why I did a Dual Sire. None had any problem with it.

[quote name='Yarrowfell'

On my website I just just didn't put who the Dad was and I explained to Puppy owners why I did a Dual Sire. None had any problem with it.

Thanks yarrowfel, good to know you didn't have any issues :)