Worming And Fleaing Pregnant Bitch

Prydenjoy

What do you use when you de flea a pregnant bitch? I've read that you should use a flea treatment before the puppies are born, but what is the safest? When is the best time to do this? Is milbemax (sp?) ok for worming?

Anxious first time mid wife here :eek:

Mine aren't regularly treated for fleas so can't help you there. Personally I wouldn't give her anything for fleas unless you actually have a problem.

Worming I would stick with what she's used to if you want to worm. Me, I go fecal sample to see if there's even a problem.

No drugs or chemicals at all if possible for the first 6 weeks. Worm after that and if you do need to treat for fleas, make sure the manufacturer guarantees that it is safe for pregnant bitches. I don't think Capstar or Comfortis have been tested for pregnant bitches so check before you use anything.

Thanks, I do have some sentinal and capstar in the cupboard, but wasn't sure about that.

I have some tea tree, citronella and eucalyptus dog shampoo, would that be safe? She does have fleas, I visit mums with her frequently and mum doesn't de flea her pets so I think she picked them up from there, I noticed some flea dirt on her yesterday.

Thanks, I do have some sentinal and capstar in the cupboard, but wasn't sure about that.

I have some tea tree, citronella and eucalyptus dog shampoo, would that be safe? She does have fleas, I visit mums with her frequently and mum doesn't de flea her pets so I think she picked them up from there, I noticed some flea dirt on her yesterday.

No way would you get me to use Ti Tree, Citronella or Eucalyptus on any dog let alone a pregnant one.

If you have any doubts about what to use ring the vet and seek their advice. :)

Not advisable to use anything for fleas & worms on a pregnant bitch unless there is reason to do so. I worm them just before mating.

If there is a flea or worm problem I would ask the vet what is safe to use.

The problem you have is the fleas will be setting up camp in your house so even if your treating her you need to treat the house but this of course could be an issues with pups due

Me personally i wouldn't be taking a pregnant bitch to a place with flea issues.(well any dog actually)

I've moved away from the chemicals and now use Diatomaceous Earth for fleas, it is the only thing that has finally worked and as it is inert, there is no problem using it on a pregnant bitch.

We use and call it Kitty Litter here in Aust.

Brought a whole lot years ago and was sorry ever after.

It use was for Kitty litter, never again.

I also found it to be very dusty and the cats had very dry coats from it absorbency.

The English version may be of far better quality than I used here.