Tear Stains

Apple Cider Vinegar. Worked wonders for mine when I first got him and hes never had tear stains since. Its also good for their overall health. I put a capfull in with his water each time i change it.

If you buy it get the quality stuff from a health shop such as Braggs brand. The cheap clear stuff in Coles and Woolies won't work.

Edited by samoyedman

I have had Angels Eyes recommended to me. Hellishly expensive, but so many people rave about it I had to try it.

Can't give you any assessment of how it worked yet though, because I only started using it on the weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using Angel eyes on my chihuahua who has very bad tear stains for the past four weeks. The results are amazing. His staining has almost gone but the thing I have noticed the most is he doesn't stink anymore. He would have a bath and within two days would stink to high heaven and his coat would be like straw to touch. He hasn't had a bath now for four weeks, he still smells clean, his coat is soft and has a lovly shine to it. I have also found he is much happier in himself as well.

tomato paste.

NOT tomato sauce (that has onions)...paste...doesnt have onions...only a small amount, say about 1/2 a teaspoon, daily, you will see results in a couple of weeks.

it cancels out the acidity in the tears which is what makes the colour in the tears.

tomato paste.

NOT tomato sauce (that has onions)...paste...doesnt have onions...only a small amount, say about 1/2 a teaspoon, daily, you will see results in a couple of weeks.

it cancels out the acidity in the tears which is what makes the colour in the tears.

What makes the colour in the tear stains is bacteria (yeast) growing on the skin.

Edited by poodlefan

Hi I'm Phillippa from Angel's Eyes Australia, this product is fantastic and it works!!!

Contact me and tell me you saw me at dogz forum and i will be happy to send you a free sample :thumbsup:

[email protected]

Highly recommend it . My White standard had terrible eye stain while she was teething, used this product, GONE. Do not have to use it now but have some on hand incase

Hi I'm Phillippa from Angels'Eyes Australia. Angels' Eyes is a fantastic product that really works for information check out our web site at www.angelseyesaustralia.com

Contact me for discounts for Dogzonline members :angel:

Highly recommend it . My White standard had terrible eye stain while she was teething, used this product, GONE. Do not have to use it now but have some on hand incase

Edited by pips angels

• 2 weeks later...

switching to a grain free diet might make a big improvement.

In nature dogs would seldom have eaten grains in the wild. Often they are only added to foods because they are cheap bulking agents.

Many dogs are intolerant to the grains and for some weird reason one of the manifestations of this is that they end up producing more tears.

Tear stains are a combination of 4 major factors:

1. Excess tears

2. Iron and other metals in the tears.

3. bacteria

4. Red yeast

The tears contain metallic elements that oxidise when they hit the air- as they oxidise the bacteria on the skin metabolises them- an enzyme that is the basis of the red yeast is created.

Apple cider vinegar may help some dogs by making the acid slightly more acidic- this will prevent the bacteria from being able to metabolise the iron, the bacteria can only function in ph neutral tears- I have no idea how safe it is to use in the long term and would have worries about increased stomach acid.

Some owners feed antacids to make the ph of the tears more alkaline- IMO not a good idea in the long term as the stomach will have to produce more stomach acid to counteract the effects of the antacids.

There are natural tears stain supplements that work by using antioxidants to oxidising the iron before it enters the tear streams- unfortunately I am not aware of any makers willing to pay for Australian import licences.

There are two versions of Angels Eyes- one is tylosin antibiotic based and the other is a natural supplement.

The antibiotic based version is the fastest to work but the antibiotic- tylosin tartrate- does not hold a marketing authority for dogs or cats and thus it is not legal to use unless under the direction of a vet. Of greater concern, the misuse of antibiotics is morally indefensible because of the risk of bacterial resistance. Frankly I am surprised that it is sold openly. According to the FDA it is not even legal in the USA...

The natural version of Angels eyes is a great product- it uses plant extracts that have antibacterial properties that help by killing the bacteria. It does take longer to work but unlike the antibiotic version it is safe to use continually.

I have been reading recently that probioics might help- I am not sure how but perhaps they help the good bacteria to crowd out the bad bacteria.

Some find that filtered water helps- perhaps by reducing the overall mineral intake.

If you persevere you should find a solution that works for you- don't forget to check the quality of any treats you use.

BTW- many dogs produce more tears when they are teething- the gums become inflamed and can misshape the tear ducts- after teething the levels of tears might drop to a level where stains are no longer a problem and no treatment is necessary.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

The antibiotic based version is the fastest to work but the antibiotic- tylosin

tartrate- does not hold a marketing authority for dogs or cats and thus it is

not legal to use unless under the direction of a vet.

I guess I run the risk of being shot down for saying that tylosin tartrate has no Marketing Authority (for dogs or cats) but, hey, it doesn't.

The only version of tylosin that is licenced (anywhere in the world) is the liquid injection version.

Only vets are allowed to prescribe it as a "medicine of last resort", ie whilst it is not approved they are allowed to prescribe it if they can demonstrate that none of the licenced medicines are fit for the task in hand.

So it follows that unless a vet has prescribed it then administering it yourself is an offence (unless you are a vet).

The makers of these products probably knew it from day one but I think they use a legal loophole to enable them to make and sell the stuff. I guess they would argue that they have no way of knowing if the person buying it is a vet or not.

Bit of a con IMO.

switching to a grain free diet might make a big improvement.

In nature dogs would seldom have eaten grains in the wild. Often they are only added to foods because they are cheap bulking agents.

Many dogs are intolerant to the grains and for some weird reason one of the manifestations of this is that they end up producing more tears.

Tear stains are a combination of 4 major factors:

1. Excess tears

2. Iron and other metals in the tears.

3. bacteria

4. Red yeast

The tears contain metallic elements that oxidise when they hit the air- as they oxidise the bacteria on the skin metabolises them- an enzyme that is the basis of the red yeast is created.

Apple cider vinegar may help some dogs by making the acid slightly more acidic- this will prevent the bacteria from being able to metabolise the iron, the bacteria can only function in ph neutral tears- I have no idea how safe it is to use in the long term and would have worries about increased stomach acid.

Some owners feed antacids to make the ph of the tears more alkaline- IMO not a good idea in the long term as the stomach will have to produce more stomach acid to counteract the effects of the antacids.

There are natural tears stain supplements that work by using antioxidants to oxidising the iron before it enters the tear streams- unfortunately I am not aware of any makers willing to pay for Australian import licences.

There are two versions of Angels Eyes- one is tylosin antibiotic based and the other is a natural supplement.

The antibiotic based version is the fastest to work but the antibiotic- tylosin tartrate- does not hold a marketing authority for dogs or cats and thus it is not legal to use unless under the direction of a vet. Of greater concern, the misuse of antibiotics is morally indefensible because of the risk of bacterial resistance. Frankly I am surprised that it is sold openly. According to the FDA it is not even legal in the USA...

The natural version of Angels eyes is a great product- it uses plant extracts that have antibacterial properties that help by killing the bacteria. It does take longer to work but unlike the antibiotic version it is safe to use continually.

I have been reading recently that probioics might help- I am not sure how but perhaps they help the good bacteria to crowd out the bad bacteria.

Some find that filtered water helps- perhaps by reducing the overall mineral intake.

If you persevere you should find a solution that works for you- don't forget to check the quality of any treats you use.

BTW- many dogs produce more tears when they are teething- the gums become inflamed and can misshape the tear ducts- after teething the levels of tears might drop to a level where stains are no longer a problem and no treatment is necessary.

May I ask please. :)

1. What is your authority to give this statement.

2. Where was this knowledge gained.

3. Do you work for a opposition company.

4. Angels' eyes is not only used for tear stain.

My opinion, and it is only that, Angels' eyes is the greatest boon to the removal of staining I have had the pleasure of using.

"Of greater concern, the misuse of antibiotics is morally indefensible because of the risk of bacterial resistance." Thank you Dazla!

I have made this point before about Angel Eyes only to have people saying it's the only thing that works. I spend a lot of time at work explaining why I won't give antibiotics randomly for diseases I do not believe are bacterial. Rational use of antibiotics is use of the correct drug, appropriate for the condition, at the correct dose, for the correct duration.

I can't understand why people would chose to have their dog in long term, low dose antibiotics to counter a cosmetic issue. Many of the show animals will place and win and get used at stud while on Angel Eyes thus perpetuating the problem. Perhaps we should attemp to breed lines with more functional tear ducts?

May I please say it has already been reported on a similar discussion on this Forum that the macrolide antibiotics found in Angel Eyes (very low levels) are a natural polyketide.

It was also reported that there has been research into this products usefulness and safety. It was also stated that it has been found to be 100% safe over long periods.

I do not use this product for tear staining. When the discussion first arose I did not use the product but I do now. :thumbsup:

I have found that many animals with tear staining due to blocked tear ducts respond very well to gentle massage under the corner of the eye. Some dogs will only need this to keep the problem in check others may need the tear ducts unblocked by the Vet. Change of diet to eliminate grains and sugars is also a priority. I have never had to resort to surgical intervention or products such as Angel eyes.

May I ask please. :)

1. What is your authority to give this statement.

2. Where was this knowledge gained.

3. Do you work for a opposition company.

4. Angels' eyes is not only used for tear stain.

My opinion, and it is only that, Angels' eyes is the greatest boon to the removal of staining I have had the pleasure of using.

Hi Oakway

I fully understand your animosity/cynicism towards me. I too used to be a devoted Angels eyes customer and believed what I later discovered to be their half truths and lies.

I had prepared an awfully long response but realised that it was so protracted that it would just bore people. Much of the research into tylosin use in dogs was conducted as part of the approval process for the use of tylosin in livestock back in the 50s and 60s. Since that time there has been research that shows that Angels Eyes is not 100% safe, there has also been research that shows that the increasing bacterial resistance to tylosin is posing a a direct risk to humans.

The makers of the tylosin based tear stain products are not the most honest of people and IMO their primary concern is their bank balances- not the welfare of your dogs. They exploit legal loopholes to make a product the it is illegal for members of the public to use. They intentionally mismarket their products by using terms such as 100% safe, natural or FDA approved ingredients; tylosin is not 100% safe, the term natural could be applied to pretty much anything found on the planet, tylosin is only FDA approved for poultry, cattle and pigs- not dogs or cats.

Tylosin in Australia is defined by the APVMA as a class 4 product- it is illegal to use other than as a prescription only medicine- I have no idea if it is illegal to sell or not but the fact remains that it is illegal for you to give to your dog. The makers of Angels Eyes know that, they know that their product is not legal anywhere in the world, they don't tell anyone selling it that though..

I would like to reiterate that I am only referring to the tylosin based version and not the Natural Angels Eyes version.