Dog Attack On Sheep

Just wondering if anyone knows what is the legal standing if agisted sheep are attacked by dogs? Our sheep have been attacked twice by two different sets of dogs. 3 had to be put down the first attack and 5 from the second attack. The sheep are agisted on someone elses property. The first attack was witnessed by the neighbour and two of the three attacking dogs identified. Dogs owners were warned and the two dogs were tied up. Three days later the other dog and a fourth one were seen by us in the paddock attacking sheep, covered in blood. We followed the dogs home (could not catch them) and informed ranger and dogs owners. Just wondering what our legal standing would have been if we had shot the dogs in the paddock, considering the attack was not actually on our own property? We did not have a gun in the ute or that is what we would have done.

Wouldn't have liked to shoot dogs but if we caught any on our property killing sheep that is what needs to happen.

Thanks for the advice.

I would have thought it was legal to shoot the dogs under those circumstances? In Sydney at least, if dogs do something like this they don't get a second chance, my friend was in court over her dogs but they were declared dangerous and now spend all their life in a concrete, roofed pen.

Just wondering if anyone knows what is the legal standing if agisted sheep are attacked by dogs? Our sheep have been attacked twice by two different sets of dogs. 3 had to be put down the first attack and 5 from the second attack. The sheep are agisted on someone elses property. The first attack was witnessed by the neighbour and two of the three attacking dogs identified. Dogs owners were warned and the two dogs were tied up. Three days later the other dog and a fourth one were seen by us in the paddock attacking sheep, covered in blood. We followed the dogs home (could not catch them) and informed ranger and dogs owners. Just wondering what our legal standing would have been if we had shot the dogs in the paddock, considering the attack was not actually on our own property? We did not have a gun in the ute or that is what we would have done.

Wouldn't have liked to shoot dogs but if we caught any on our property killing sheep that is what needs to happen.

Thanks for the advice.

You need permission from the owner of the property.

But they may not be prepared to grant it

(I would not)

as the owner is then liable for potential liabilities that can ensue ie: human error, accident, misfire etc

Edited by lilli

The owner was not there at the time of the attack, and we had not thought to discuss the possibility with him prior. The first attack was his two dogs so that complicates it even more. I doubt he would be willing to give permission for us to shoot them.

The owner was not there at the time of the attack, and we had not thought to discuss the possibility with him prior. The first attack was his two dogs so that complicates it even more. I doubt he would be willing to give permission for us to shoot them.

Then you have no right to shoot them.

And I'm surprised that you would discuss it with a ranger before the owner.

Or maybe you have and the owner of the property and the dogs, feels its their property so they can do what they like

(and legally they can).

How long have you agisted sheep at this property?

Edited by lilli

yup Lilli is right, you cannot just enter someone's property and start shooting.

Move your sheep somewhere safer or back onto your own property. Just remember even on your own property you have to be EXTREMELY careful where you shoot. Bullets travel further then you think and if they hit something outside your boundary fence you're in huge trouble.

We didn't shoot them, that is the point.

We discussed it with the owner first and his dogs were tied up when the second attack occurred. We did not tell the ranger about that attack as the property owner will be paying for the sheep that were injured by his dogs.

Sheep have been agisted there for 5 months and there are 930 of them.

No previous issues with dog attacks that we are aware of.

I believe if you have the property owners permission to shoot on his land then you can discharge a firearm.

Any animal that mauls and kills sheep will not stop.I remember a few years ago a dog I knew was involved in sheep attacks by a group of pet dogs. The property owner shot the dogs and delivered their collars back to the owners. There was nothing the dog owners could do about it.

Recently our neighbors lost sheep to wild dogs. The Lands Board set traps and two wild dogs where caught and culled. I asked the neighbor what would have happened if it was domestic dogs and she said the Council Ranger would be called and the dogs dealt with by them.

You must have a land owners permisson to discharge a firearm on their property.

It is a good idea to move them as if his dogs have done it once they will do it again.

Sorry for your losses.

Some Rangers have larger traps you can use for dogs that do not harm them.

Maybe consider some LLama as flock guardians. Alpaca will try and protect their sheep but due to how dogs hunt especially in packs, the Alpaca usually get injured quite severly trying to defend their stock. A Llama or three may be more of a deterant.