Anyone Heard Of This Or Know A Bit More?

_PL_

Basically, "a team of scientists" are developing a pill which would sterilise stray animals (initially in developing countries I gather).

Something to do with Peta. Bit thin on info about how this pill would be researched and used. And I can't find much more.

Medical people: Does anything close to this exist already or is it even possible? Wouldn't it have to conflict with the anti animal testing stuff?

I respect that by everyone has an individual opinion on Peta. However, this is more just trying to understand a how this offshoot(?) org would achieve their goal on a practical level.

Don't look at the site if you're uncomfortable with images of cruelty.

600million.org 'Goals' page

If there's another thread and I missed it can someone post a link please. :)

I take it they are talking about immunocontraception. Yes, it is possible.

ETA Here's an article that talks about non-surgical sterilisation in dogs and cats and includes a bit on immunocontraception: http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/vetmed/Medicine/Nonsurgical-methods-of-contraception-in-dogs-and-c/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/653147

Edited by corvus

I know that there was some research being done.

It is an alternative to cheap desexing to try and control populations in areas where animal welfare is already quite poor, and people do not wish to pay, dont have enough money to pay or dont wish to have their dog out of action post surgery.

There is already supurlorin implants for male dogs but they need to be reimplanted regularly. So not a viable long term solution.

I think they were also hoping to do this with cats as well for memory.

Please note this is information that I was provided with a fair few years ago!

Edited by ~Woofen~

Hmmmmmm...

Sounds like a brilliant idea - though I didn't look at the link, I'm squeamish - but I'm already plotting a way to feed this to the poor BYB underfed unloved regular escapees from down the road. Or their owners...

Hmmmmmm...

Sounds like a brilliant idea - though I didn't look at the link, I'm squeamish - but I'm already plotting a way to feed this to the poor BYB underfed unloved regular escapees from down the road. Or their owners...

And this is exactly how something like this could and will no doubt be used maliciously.

There are no doubt those who would think nothing of doing exactly the same thing to a breeders dogs.

Hmmmmmm...

And this is exactly how something like this could and will no doubt be used maliciously.

There are no doubt those who would think nothing of doing exactly the same thing to a breeders dogs.

Yes, I was thinking the exact same thing :(

I've heard of it, but didn't know much about the details.

It sounds like a good idea in theory. I would assume that it would only be available from the vets after a consult though, which (depending on the vet) would probably make the cost much the same as the surgery.

Hmmmmmm...

Yes, I was thinking the exact same thing :(

Yep and this is exactly why I was thinking holy crap I really hope that doesn't become available. What stops someone from giving it say to any dog impounded?? Yes there may be some who should have it, but what happens if someone breeding bitch or shodog happens to get impounded.

Not sure I like this idea at all. There are people that are malicious and twisted enough to give this to someones show/breeding animals. People have had their dogs let out at shows and baited in their own trailers. This would be just something else that could be used for the wrong purposes.

Hmmmmmm...

Knowing Katdogs - and the dogs she is referring to - I can see where she's coming from. They are regular visitors to her place and mine. The escapees are intact male crossbred SWF's - luckily all our females are desexed and contained to our properties. The owners of the escapees won't desex them because they want to breed with them... again... and they have a little female Pom cross they bought just for the purpose... *sigh*

I know that you can get injections to put off a bitch's season - we had it done to a dog of ours when we lived in PNG way back in the late 70's. Not too sure about a pill to permanently sterilise a dog or cat though - who knows what long term side effects it could have...

T.

If my memory serves me right I believe Werribee were trialling something like this about 25 years ago.

The trials stopped for some reason. I left Victoria and never followed up on the their progress.

Yep and this is exactly why I was thinking holy crap I really hope that doesn't become available. What stops someone from giving it say to any dog impounded?? Yes there may be some who should have it, but what happens if someone breeding bitch or shodog happens to get impounded.

I think it's like a vaccine in that it prompts the immune system to attack a very specific aspect of the reproductive system, for example, the coating on an egg. It's unlikely to be permanent, although I can see how it could ruin things for a breeder if their dog was maliciously or accidentally vaccinated.