Udx

Just think bedazzled an ptolomy we will hear the cheer when you get that pass ;D

Gees people thought the world was coming to an end the night I passed, or that I had won lotto - I was one very happy camper..........and its all been downhill ever since :rofl:

I guess if you add Lara's 1 pass and Scoota's 1 pass - next pass will be my title ;)

Boy do I know that feeling. For Tux and I, two down one to go...

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this UDX thing is so frustrating!!!! :eek: Well I have been having trouble with this seekback with decoy on and off had it with my other coolie but the kelpie never had a problem. They would be doing it absolutely brilliant and than all of a sudden its nope dont want anything to do with yours I'll have the decoy and there is nothing that you can do to change their mind but ride it out. I had been on wood went to metal and now I'm back to wood well we have had problems and last week we thought we had it licked ha well we put food on my article (bit of a reward getting the right one) well we thought we had it fixed did it all last week got a pass in the trial with the seekback and today we did the training and she said thank you very much ate the food and went off and got the decoy :eek::o back to the drawing boad :laugh: Did the border which she is still learning so we thought we would put the food on my article(she not bright lol she picks the incorrect one knows its not the right one but walks around till she finds the other one spits it out and picks up the correct one) so that was why we thought we would put food on the correct one so she wouldnt pick up the decoy well she was very upset that food was on her article you dont have food on articles at all that she picked it up and shock her article so the food went off and bought me the article :o

Back to the drawing board and too top it off Gabby couldnt even do her towel which is the only exercise not to have problems well we couldnt even find it wouldnt go even near it knew I should have stayed home in bed :rofl:

:rofl: Unfortunately hate red wine so I might just have to go onto the vodka a nice cold cruiser mmmmm.

Well the funny thing about her towels today Friend Duncan put the towels down and his son Graham that Gabby just loves and things he's brilliant and nearly stuffed her multi retrieve on the sunday at the trial cause he was walking away. Knicking off for cuddles etc well it was his scent and she wouldnt go anywhere near it but when we finished was in his lap :o

question for you all doing UDX,

Has any of you had the wind swirling around the clothes and carry the scent of the judges clothes on to the next one to it? And how have you trained your dog to understand that it has got the "wrong clothe" to getting the right one?

Also do you train with your clothes in the same pattern all the time eg a straight line, square, circle ect?

Hopefully I won't kill this thread this time

Kallistar - I am mindful of not overscenting the dog when I give him the washcloth, but have to admit to not thinking a lot about how windy it is since the cloths are 50cm apart which is a lot further than the UD articles where i would be very careful not to overscent the article.

Bedazzled and i both have the same issue with the kids checking the outside of the circle/pack before finally venturing into the middle to check the cloths there, so we have been flogging the middle wash cloth in the hope of improving this.

Thanks Ptolomy.

I have never overscented him with the cloth that I have offered him. He turns his head away if I do.

So far the shapes that we have had to work in the trial ring are, straight line,Triangle,square,circle, a T, and a C.

I try to do all sorts of patterns with it when I am training too. So far if one is placed in the middle he has found it :)

Also the frustrating thing about UDX is that just when everything is going right it breaks down again

I have to get just one more pass and I will be over the moon as it will be his title hopefully before the year is out. And when I do Can I brag about it?

I observed one trial where the judge was an experienced tracking judge so was very aware of the wind direction and it was blowing a gale!!! She put the wash cloths in a straight line and maximum distance apart so that the scent was blowing away from the cloths. Great when you have an on the ball judge!

question for you all doing UDX,

Has any of you had the wind swirling around the clothes and carry the scent of the judges clothes on to the next one to it? And how have you trained your dog to understand that it has got the "wrong clothe" to getting the right one?

Also do you train with your clothes in the same pattern all the time eg a straight line, square, circle ect?

Hopefully I won't kill this thread this time

I observed one trial where the judge was an experienced tracking judge so was very aware of the wind direction and it was blowing a gale!!! She put the wash cloths in a straight line and maximum distance apart so that the scent was blowing away from the cloths. Great when you have an on the ball judge!

Totally agree with you on this one Bedazzledx2. Ptolomy, I will brag about the UDX title when Tux and I get it.

On a training note, how did you teach your dogs PIM and do you use verbal or signal? How would you teach a sit signal for the PIM?

arghhhh this udx is so frustrating. Went out and trained and as you know her seekback is absolutely hopeless like we have never done it before and she only wants to pick up decoy which has been happening for awhile and we put the food on the correct one and she said thanks very much for the food but I am going off for the decoy well today she was doing like she has been doing it all her and wouldnt even look at the decoy and picked up the correct one each time. Inka has finally made progress and has worked out the differance and can pick up the correct one without picking the decoy and using it as her dummy till she found the correct one but now the sendaway has no idea what that is and that is one exercise she can do.

PIM I do silent signals and verbals for the position and the towels I dont give alot of scent as soon as she turns her head that is it

arghhhh this udx is so frustrating. Went out and trained and as you know her seekback is absolutely hopeless like we have never done it before and she only wants to pick up decoy which has been happening for awhile and we put the food on the correct one and she said thanks very much for the food but I am going off for the decoy well today she was doing like she has been doing it all her and wouldnt even look at the decoy and picked up the correct one each time. Inka has finally made progress and has worked out the differance and can pick up the correct one without picking the decoy and using it as her dummy till she found the correct one but now the sendaway has no idea what that is and that is one exercise she can do.

Boy do I know that feeling

PIM I do silent signals and verbals for the position and the towels I dont give alot of scent as soon as she turns her head that is it

But how did you teach the PIM?

For the PIM I use signals for all but the Sit in Motion which is the only position that I use my voice for. However I am choking on my Sit command when we compete which is not fun.

And when I was teaching him, it was done with voice and signal and we was doing this as a fun thing before the UDX class was ever thought about. So all as I did was reteach it with me going pass him on his right side and not around the back of him like we was doing.

So how would you teach a sit in motion signal/command?

Have you played the two food game? I used it to teach the down so just adjusted it to teach a sit on command. Taught that separate to the heelwork and only put it in when it was on cue.

For the PIM I use signals for all but the Sit in Motion which is the only position that I use my voice for. However I am choking on my Sit command when we compete which is not fun.

And when I was teaching him, it was done with voice and signal and we was doing this as a fun thing before the UDX class was ever thought about. So all as I did was reteach it with me going pass him on his right side and not around the back of him like we was doing.

Have you played the two food game? I used it to teach the down so just adjusted it to teach a sit on command. Taught that separate to the heelwork and only put it in when it was on cue.

Sorry I just read my question again... and thanks for your answer Bedazzledx2. He does the sit in motion verbally great until I choke on the word and he gets confused (sp?) so how would you do a sit in motion hand signal?

Dunno...I don't do it :shrug: and the ones I've seen that use a signal are not very successful and they have changed over to a verbal. I've seen one that throws their left hand into a high stop type signal but as I say it wasn't terribly successful. You could try using a different word for sit...someone here uses 'park' which only came into being when she hit UDX :laugh:

Sorry I just read my question again... and thanks for your answer Bedazzledx2. He does the sit in motion verbally great until I choke on the word and he gets confused (sp?) so how would you do a sit in motion hand signal?

It is an interesting problem as I can use my voice in training (no stress) and we do the sit in motion fine but when trialing I get a very dry mouth and the word doesn't come out properly. All my other commands are signal only..

So please keep your fingers crossed that tomorrow I don't choke on the verbal sit in motion command.

Dunno...I don't do it :shrug: and the ones I've seen that use a signal are not very successful and they have changed over to a verbal. I've seen one that throws their left hand into a high stop type signal but as I say it wasn't terribly successful. You could try using a different word for sit...someone here uses 'park' which only came into being when she hit UDX :laugh:

Good luck tomorrow!!! Make sure you hydrate before you go in the ring!!! :laugh:

It is an interesting problem as I can use my voice in training (no stress) and we do the sit in motion fine but when trialing I get a very dry mouth and the word doesn't come out properly. All my other commands are signal only..

So please keep your fingers crossed that tomorrow I don't choke on the verbal sit in motion command.

Well no brag for my UDX title.. we didn't do the down in motion. And that was all we did wrong in the morning trial..

And we aren't going even mention the pm trial as it was far worse.

Ok.. now a training question for UDX, What are you using for your seek back with decoy and why? And how did you teach it?

I am using metal at the moment but am thinking of changing to wood.

Edited by kallistar

Bugga!!!! We've had one of those! I suspect tomorrows sendaway will be an issue judging on our training round today!

I use metal as when I trained it I was thinking a moving scent discrimination and it was the most logical article to use that said sd. He's been successful with metal so I'm not looking to change. Why are you thinking of changing kallistar?

Well no brag for my UDX title.. we didn't do the down in motion. And that was all we did wrong in the morning trial..

And we aren't going even mention the pm trial as it was far worse.

Ok.. now a training question for UDX, What are you using for your seek back with decoy and why? And how did you teach it?

I am using metal at the moment but am thinking of changing to wood.

I use metal too for the seekback with decoy, HOWEVER since Sydney i have been having issues, not all the time, he seems to save it for trialling, so I was also thinking of changing to wood, but wood is so much harder to see, so I haven't done so yet. Tomorrow may help me make my decision though. I think Xena 98 has also had seekback metal issues.

Sorry to hear no passes for you today Kallistar