Udx

2 of my friends dogs have been having problems with the towels since they changed it into the new rules. The other day we decided to use the tongs and very lightly touching and they stopped picking up all the others and did the job properly go figure

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 of my friends dogs have been having problems with the towels since they changed it into the new rules. The other day we decided to use the tongs and very lightly touching and they stopped picking up all the others and did the job properly go figure

Less is more.. Is what I have been told by an old trialer who does tracking, the less that the arcticles are held the better the dogs get the right article. Tux is a good example of that. When I offer him the scented article for him to find, he turns his head away from me especially if I hold it there way too long for him. He then sneezes to clear his sinuses. Unfortunatly some stewards handle the clothes too much as Bedazzled has found out and the dogs pick that cloth up instead :((( as the judges scented clothe has already slightly aired.

Oh and on a training issue, How do I explain to Tux NOT TO scatter the clothes when he goes out to them as it makes harder for him to find the right one and that it is a very untidy thing to do?

Also fingers crossed that the UDX fairy is with us this weekend

Good luck Kallistar on the weekend. We're not doing obedience we have the state agility trial this weekend.

It has been interesting with the towels. I have found something very interesting as well in the last couple of weeks that my yellow rubber band Gabby tends to get once we remove the yellow one she will get the correct one and that is in both sets of articles. I am going to buy other colour rubber bands and take out the yellow one lol

So Ptolomy and Bedazzle did you find out with those that they struggled with had they used the soapless handwash before touching the towels or on any medication just very interesting

Remember my problem with the seekback well she's back into doing it correctly so dont know what happend there it was really weird it was like my scent was poisen but it was fine for ud

No UDX quallies this weekend :( both days he was confused about multiple retrieve...longish grass and not really visible so he did his default which is to not leave my side. On the plus side he did superb seek back both days, excellent wash cloths and really great sendaways.

I entered Open both days and he did terrific rounds scoring 197 and 196 so happy with that. :D

Bedazzled I opened the popping bottle anyway - I couldn't let a good bottle go to waste :rofl: and your open scores were worth celebrating!

Maybe next weekend the boys will both pass since they seem to do things their way and together ;)

I kind of wish I had been trialling this weekend as Moo is on fire, which means its ugly, but he doesn't run out of steam during distance control :thumbsup:

See you Wednesday....

Edited by Ptolomy

Well done Brooklyn and bedazzled on some fantastic open scores. Bet Ptolomy is right and both boys will finish them off on the same weekend - its always the way with them :laugh:. All the best for next weekend.

Well done Brooklyn and bedazzled on some fantastic open scores. Bet Ptolomy is right and both boys will finish them off on the same weekend - its always the way with them :laugh:. All the best for next weekend.

Just dropped in to say that the UDX fairy deserted me on the weekend too. Though Sunday was better than Sat. The only thing that I brought home with me was a nasty cold :(

Sorry to hear that there was no UDX passes in WA but great news on the Open passes and lovely scores. :))

Cheers

Just dropped in to say that the UDX fairy deserted me on the weekend too. Though Sunday was better than Sat. The only thing that I brought home with me was a nasty cold :(

Sorry to hear that there was no UDX passes in WA but great news on the Open passes and lovely scores. :))

Cheers

OK tell us the gorey details - what exercises did you muff?

Cheers

OK tell us the gorey details - what exercises did you muff?

Saturday..... SB with Decoy 0 PIM 0 J.S.D passed with flying colours ( cloth fairy showed up briefly) S.R Perfect. DC great, but he crept forward. MR Went out and got the wrong one, and on the last one, got the right one but antipated the finish ( clever boy) Tux was very flat going through the ring and then on the Group Exam moved 2 feet.

Sunday.. SB with Decoy 29/30 PIM 0 (he didn't hear the t in Sit as my voice choked up again) JSD 30/30 S.R 0 didn't go out to the cones.. lol he went to where they was the day before. DC 0 as I called it off half way as he had crept too far forward and after doing it twice in the one weekend I don't want it to become a habit. and MR 14/13 and GE 10/10

Got any advice?

Distance control - I play with fire.....

I taught Moo the marker on the ground was a land mine and I don't want him touching it. I know it could come back and bite me on the bum at some point, but so far so good......touch wood

Got any advice?

Drink more wine!!!! :D

Change of position I practice on a step or in front of a barrier to prevent the creep forward.

lol I don't drink wine.... not even good with champers and orange juice which we had one morning at our training to celebrate birthdays.

He is good on a step and in front of a barrier, but knows that they are not in the trial ring.

Distance control - I play with fire.....

I taught Moo the marker on the ground was a land mine and I don't want him touching it. I know it could come back and bite me on the bum at some point, but so far so good......touch wood

Taught Tux not to touch the marker on the ground.. doesn't help though when there isn't any. Judge used the ring post as his marker. We also have pegs on the rope as markers too.

How I taught this old dog new tricks for the down was to put the food on the ground in between his legs and then walk out to the required distance and give him the down signal and he would fold backward into the down position. That worked well until he started to self rewarding all the time I was walking away from him. I use the step and a barrier. Even tried the boot of the station wagon.

Edited by kallistar

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

this got a bit quiet. Hasnt anyone been trialling in udx. We just had our trial today well the towel fairy well she visited in the morning and than took of before the trial started.

We didnt do the seekback even though we indicated that it was the decoy and she knew she shouldnt pick it up but she refused to go to the start peg or go anywhere in that direction :mad . But we did do PIM though and got 38 considering I had so much problems with the sit and stand. :thumbsup: Towels nope not interested in the judges :mad but the position she got full marks and directed retrieve 14 and 15 and the sendaway she just sat outside mis aimed. Next week we have another trial. oh Inka won open with 193 and she did her sit stay :thumbsup:

Well, I got 178nq yesterday in UDX.. missed out to getting a lovely pass due to the MR exercise :( I didn't get my individual scores as the sheet was whipped away due to the wind and rain. I am very happy with my boy as I working towards getting the MR back to a more consistant exercise. Not easy to do after stuffing it up big time.

Xena, you will get there, they say that UD is character building, well I wonder what we could say about UDX.. Character builing Excellent?

And congrats on Inka winning Open :)

ARGH I feel your pain - bloody MR exercise :rofl:

We have a few weeks of no trials here in WA. There was a trial last weekend - where we failed seekback and distance control, but I was really happy with what he did.

Think I have found another problem since we have failed distance control the last three times. He gets to position number 3 4 or 5 and if its a down he tends to drop and roll onto a hip. I then know he will miss the next position. Hmm not sure what I am going to do about this, but at least I am now aware of what is happening, which is hopefully the first step in problem solving.......

Sounds like a ripper round Kallistar...blasted MR...who thunk up that dumb exercise???

Our mr is so broken I had a lesson with the guru and as I thought...back to the beginning to train it properly! Involves lots of proofing which is messing with his head!!! It's a crappy exercise but we are stuck with it for the next five years :(

Well done on Inka's Open win Xena....bugga about UDX I'm sure it'll all come together one day :D

Ptolomy have you experimented with all verbals? I had a play with that idea with Brookie and it's weird but in Open he actually does better with all signals for COP. In UDX I usually do a combination but lately I've been randomly giving a sequence of verbals and I think it does serve to make him think. Dunno what I'll do in a trial though ;)

Sounds like a ripper round Kallistar...blasted MR...who thunk up that dumb exercise???

Our mr is so broken I had a lesson with the guru and as I thought...back to the beginning to train it properly! Involves lots of proofing which is messing with his head!!! It's a crappy exercise but we are stuck with it for the next five years :(

Well done on Inka's Open win Xena....bugga about UDX I'm sure it'll all come together one day :D

Ptolomy have you experimented with all verbals? I had a play with that idea with Brookie and it's weird but in Open he actually does better with all signals for COP. In UDX I usually do a combination but lately I've been randomly giving a sequence of verbals and I think it does serve to make him think. Dunno what I'll do in a trial though ;)

Bedazzledx2, what has the Guru suggested to you? Would you care to share with us? I have been baiting the leather that I want him to get.. And what sort of proofing are you doing?

And to clarify it was only the one leather that we missed out on, so fingers are crossed that we will get there by the end of the year :))

Would that involve a toy dropped as you turn??? BC brain was fried that day the Guru dropped that one on us...brilliant though :thumbsup: