Udx

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our next one is next weekend at the Royal. Dunno about that one...its a really tough ask especially as its now on the showing arena.

No excuses - it is next to the showing arena not on it :rofl: But you will have had agility dogs all over it the two days prior and kiddy rides right next door :D Any idea what time you guys are on? I am showing a pony that day so might come and watch if it doesn't clash :) Will send lots of "Good Aussie" vibes Brooky's way though :thumbsup:

Well done again Ptolomy, Scoota is a star :)

In fact all you lot who are attempting UDX are stars even if your dogs are finding new and ingenious ways to fail :thumbsup::rofl:

Thanks mirawee... We are on early 9am I think...(must have a look at the schedule) Same day as Group 1...I hope none of those littlies are in season...he might just seek back all the way to a bitch!:rofl:

Good luck with your pony...what side of the arena are you showing on?

Thanks mirawee... We are on early 9am I think...(must have a look at the schedule) Same day as Group 1...I hope none of those littlies are in season...he might just seek back all the way to a bitch!:rofl:

Good luck with your pony...what side of the arena are you showing on?

Bugger, I am on at 8:45am. Will come for a visit afterwards though :)

My "pony" is actually a tall Anglo Arab filly - so I will be where ever they decide to put the Arabs/Arab Derivatives. We don't find out until the day :)

Oh and I had to :rofl: at his seek back :D That would be one for the video camera :thumbsup:

Edited by mirawee

:thumbsup: Wonderful to watch - and :rofl: at the naughty bits - especially when he spat the MR article - he's definitely messing with your head :laugh: - but how much fun was he having - just inspirational. Again - thanks for sharing your lovely boy with us.

Little bugger :rofl: The norty bits were my favourite :thumbsup: What a character!

Thanks for posting - really good to see the whole routine - that is a long time for handler and dog to concentrate and a lot of opportunities to fail!!!

General question - many dogs seem to have problems with the seek back (on it's own) or with decoy.....any ideas as to why that is? Obviously Scoota found it but looked a bit uncertain and gave a few heartbeat missing moments!!! Would any of you train your youngsters differently for seek back based on what you've seen going through UD and UDX?

Aww, he has so much fun Ptolomy :thumbsup: Love the collapsing at the end :rofl:

Actually I loved watching the end of the CDX stays when Scoota was released by his stand in handler ;) :thumbsup::rofl:

What about the trouble I had getting him into position for the drop stays. :rofl: I must remember that next time he comes to visit me for a treat, I will remind him of the heart failure he nearly gave me.

TSD - Brookie and Scoota learnt UD before UDX was around - so they were taught there is something out there - go bring it back. They both played in UD for over 4 years before we started teaching them UDX where we changed all the rules. The game was now - there are 2 things out there, both look the same and I want you to bring the one back that smells like me. I also started using metal for the seekback in UDX (I use leather in UD) as I thought that most said it was a scent discrimination, however, when Moo became sick earlier in the year he refused to pick up metal at all, so I then swapped to wood.

How will I teach Cider UD, well she will be taught from the word go that there is more than one article out there and I want you to find the one that smells like me - so it will be taught as a long distance scent discrimination.

Thanks Ptolomy for the reply. I have been playing "find the toy/article" game in the house for ages with Ziggy and have just started with Em. I show it to them and then leave them in a stay and they have to find it amongst everything else on the floor (mostly toys, chew bones etc). They think it is the best game in the world but I'm not sure how much it will help them out - although it certainly has them using their nose and they never give up so seem to understand the game. At least after the SH seminar I'm not so petrified of "breaking" either dog ;)

TSD I play those sort of games too. thumbsup1.gif

Your next problem will be with the wash cloths when you have to explain to the dog (after they have been finding your scent for years and years) to find the cloth that smells like this one.... eek1.gif

Thanks again to Livertreats for doing all the videoing for me on Saturday and for also taking Scoota into open stays - I save that special treat for my bestest friends wink.gif

Do you palm Beans off to your bestest enemies, then? :p :rofl: :rofl:

I'm toying with the idea of teaching my kids the seekback UDX style, but being realistic, I don't think I will make it to UDX with my current kiddies so UD is a more realistic goal with them, so why put them and me through the extra stress! eek1.gif

Your next problem will be with the wash cloths when you have to explain to the dog (after they have been finding your scent for years and years) to find the cloth that smells like this one.... eek1.gif

Thanks again to Livertreats for doing all the videoing for me on Saturday and for also taking Scoota into open stays - I save that special treat for my bestest friends wink.gif

Actually had a really nice example of persistence just then - set up Em to find the leather towards the end of our "sing for your supper" session. She raced around sniffing with great determination but forgot to look in the kitchen where it was hidden near the cupboards. She kept trying and trying, looked at me once (which I ignored) and then stopped to have a massive drink (training with dry food makes you thirsty!) - I thought she might lose the plot after that but she picked up right where she left off, scoured the kitchen and found it. It was a really good experience of trust for BOTH of us :)

Ptolomy, I thought Scoota did a lovely job of the wash cloths - so confident, even when he managed to send one flying!

You are welcome, I enjoyed doing the videoing (not sure about the stays bit :laugh: ), any time, just ask. However I was a little worried about the blurry bits while waiting for your camera to focus after using the zoom, thought I had broken your camera.

Good way to get your dogs to use their noses rather than looking for the scent article is to hide things in the dark, have to use their noses. My guys love this game.