Udx

Well tonoght will be the first time that I will of been able to do any training in UDX for nearly two weeks thanks to a nasty bug that is not wanting to leave me, so I will let you know if we nail every exercise.

How often does everyone train for UDX and do you always do a complete run through?

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol I think I could be called a lazy trainer and only trained once a week and slowly working my way through as her other exercises are pretty good so I do a yucky one and finish off with one that she enjoys but I have been doing lots more and bring my towels off to agility training so my towels and seekback is about 3 times a week and trying different things in training

I train in UDX approx 2 times a week depending on what I want done.

Last night went to club and the SB with Decoy went haywire as he brought back the decoy and we didn't do the cloths Everything else was ok.

I don't always do a complete run through every time I train either so it might be PIM and SA/R which he loves doing.

But my boy has spoilt me as I am finding out with the newest addition as she is SOOOOOOOO different it is not funny. With him I get him out and we start working, with her it is a half hour job before hand and she needs a more structured(sp?)work schedule.

Well yesterday I had another crack at UDX at my home club's trial.

With the am trial he brought in the decoy and then missed the drop in the PIM. It was wet so I withdrew

Pm trial, we nearly did everything. SB with decoy :) PIM :( as he missed a sit and then followed me in the stand in motion. But did everything else.

Got over excited with the leathers (which he did nicely) with being vocal. Doesn't do it any more in training, but...............

We did have 3 passes in UDX with one of them gaining her GR Obed Ch title. The other one was his first pass after trying for two years, and the third just missed out on gaing a Gr Ob pass by 4 points.

Kallistar its sooooooo frustrating. I guess its no different to what we went through with UD - but that was eons ago and I think I have forgotton how bad it was. So close and yet so far.

I am currently on holiday in Brisbane and I have entered a trial this arvo - but don;'t think I am going to do it. Its on the other side of town and logistically hard to get to and organise. I have also entered another trial next weekend. But just to prove how confident I am (NOT) I only brought 1 set of wash cloths and 1 set of scent articles for UD with me :laugh:

It also seems that the more you flog it in training, the less well you do at a trial - well thats my theory!

I would just love to have the performance I get in training in a trial!!! After yesterdays non event...(like kallistar...he came with me in the stand in the PIM) I had decided on a new training strategy. No training!! It doesnt work any way so the pup's going to get the training for a bit. Gotta save my sanity somehow!!!

17 pages :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have just returned home from the trial I wasn't going to do - kind of glad I went even though we didn;t pass. And I have been home 15 minutes and Bedazzled you will be happy to hear I have mount Scoota happening :thumbsup: - so far its a door stop, a bathmat and 2 shoes........ :rofl:

We did UD first and again his brain was fried in the seekback but he did bring it back eventually but then went on and failed the 2nd box when he went over the jump on the way to the box - hmm think thats a new one!

UDX and he came out happy - went straight to the correct article in the seekback, but stood over it and then went off pretending to look for who knows what - came back to the article - and eventually brought it back - lost 8 for that! PIM were lovely :thumbsup: As the steward brought my wash cloths into the ring he also had my blind retrieve articles showed them to the judge who said I couldn't use them :mad Yet these were the same articles I used at the Nationals in Queensland in June and the same ones I use each week in WA. so judge said I can do the exercise but I will get zero. Anyway - back to the wash cloths and they were brilliant - 3rd cloth he came to and he picked it up and straight back with it :thumbsup: Sendaway and this time I had to tell him to sit before he ran out the back of the box - hmm not had that happen before and he got full marks .:D COP - yep happy with this one too :thumbsup: and then I had a brain wave and asked somebody to grab my UD scent articles from the car - so I used the leathers from this set. Hmm only problem was there were dead patches of grass and holes inbetween where we were standing and where the article was put and then I was sending him for something he was not used to looking for - in fact he ran up to it, smelt the article and then kept searching...... - so I called him back and had a play and we called it quits. INteresting that not 1 dog passed the blind retrieve - I think that says a lot.

Opted not to do stays and had a game of i-squeak instead.

At presentations I managed to find somebody selling white leather articles - just normal scent leathers but in white - so I grabbed 3 of these to use at next weekends trial. Bedazzled I would have grabbed you some - but what you are already using is way better

At presentations I managed to find somebody selling white leather articles - just normal scent leathers but in white - so I grabbed 3 of these to use at next weekends trial. Bedazzled I would have grabbed you some - but what you are already using is way better

Well done Ptolomy, so am I reading correctly that the only exercise he ended up failing was the multiple retrieve?

Can I ask a question about your white articles - what are yours made of that the judge objected to? I thought you were first saying that he was objecting because they were white and ok'd your scent ones because they are brown, but then you said you bought some white ones from someone so now I'm confused! Just curious I suppose about what the difference is between your set and the new ones you bought? :)

Edited by RubyStar

My white leathers that I use normally, and were bought here in Queensland are stitched and that be the problem. My new white leathers aren't and yep blind retrieve was the only exercise we failed and he had absolutely no idea.

I took him off later and we did another couple, without the dead grass between me and the article and using my usual leathers and he struggled when he couldn't see them - but thats a known problem, but at least he headed in the right direction and managed to hunt them down.

I would just love to have the performance I get in training in a trial!!! After yesterdays non event...(like kallistar...he came with me in the stand in the PIM) I had decided on a new training strategy. No training!! It doesnt work any way so the pup's going to get the training for a bit. Gotta save my sanity somehow!!!

17 pages :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yes I would love the same performance that I get in training in a trial especially with him being not vocal for the MR's I honestly don't know now how to fix it. He doesn't do it in training but only at trials.

My white leathers that I use normally, and were bought here in Queensland are stitched and that be the problem. My new white leathers aren't and yep blind retrieve was the only exercise we failed and he had absolutely no idea.

I took him off later and we did another couple, without the dead grass between me and the article and using my usual leathers and he struggled when he couldn't see them - but thats a known problem, but at least he headed in the right direction and managed to hunt them down.

Stupid rule in saying that you cannot have the leathers stitched. I went through alot of crap to find the white leathers that they would accept for trials. Mine even went to several judges meetings to find out what they would accept.

And Ptolomy, sorry that you didn't get a pass.

Did you get a definitive answer kallistar?

Stupid rule in saying that you cannot have the leathers stitched. I went through alot of crap to find the white leathers that they would accept for trials. Mine even went to several judges meetings to find out what they would accept.

And Ptolomy, sorry that you didn't get a pass.

I have to say that with this class if you waited for a pass to be happy - then you might as well give up. I was extra happy with his work and failing the last exercise - oh well - the rest was nice and all the little things we have been having problems with, were not there :thumbsup:

Kallistar - where did you get your leathers from???? Can others buy them?

Interesting observation from last night and talking to other UDX triallers, seekback with decoy seems to be a huge problem, dogs become very unsure and most give up UD as the dogs end up standing over the seekback or not bringing it back at all in both UD and UDX. They find the correct artcile and then doubt themselves so find the wrong one and then get very confused. Hmm I can relate to this. :eek:

I have to say that with this class if you waited for a pass to be happy - then you might as well give up. I was extra happy with his work and failing the last exercise - oh well - the rest was nice and all the little things we have been having problems with, were not there :thumbsup:

Kallistar - where did you get your leathers from???? Can others buy them?

Interesting observation from last night and talking to other UDX triallers, seekback with decoy seems to be a huge problem, dogs become very unsure and most give up UD as the dogs end up standing over the seekback or not bringing it back at all in both UD and UDX. They find the correct artcile and then doubt themselves so find the wrong one and then get very confused. Hmm I can relate to this. :eek:

Hi Ptolomy

I got a white leather (mens)belt given to me and cut it to size, then glued the two pieces together to make the thickness of a scent discrem article (though they are prob a 1mm too thick)It made 3 all together. I have heard that this website has white UDX leathers now. The owner of the site is lovely to order from and is prompt with any queries that you might have.

Thanks Kallistar - I emailed Janet last night when I got home - this is where I got my original white leathers from that I wasn't allowed to use last night. She got back to me this morning and offered to post them straight away - but I have decided to wait until I get home. I have found something possibly suitable in the uK. Does anybody know if you can import cow hide into Oz?