Udx

It was an ugly round for Brookie but he qualified...yay!!!:D :D :D Terrific seek back with the decoy, missed a down in the normal heel work for the positions in motion so a sub there, did the pim though...good boy! lovely send away and recall to heel...all in all I'm pretty happy :) 2 down, one to go!

Well done Brookie and you :) YAY only one more to go for his title and then on to Gr Obed Ch

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is trialing over this weekend in UDX? I know that I am, but I have a broken dog. So it will be an interesting trial tomorrow. Who knows the old saying bad dress rehearsal, great opening preformance might come true.

We did UDX today - hmmmm - they do it differently here in Queensland. We were on a pass until the sendaway - where the cones were on an angle, I asked the judge if I could line my dog up with the cones in a straight line and was told - nope - had to stand on the marker. So Scoota bless him ran a straight line as he has been trained to do and ended up a couple of meters away from the prescribed area. IT was all downhill from there as he didn't stand on the last position in distance control and then failed the first blind retrieve - nope the dog couldn't see the markers and there was a metal marker on the ground - half way out to leather number 3 - which was like a beacon with the sun shinning on it. Interesting that this marker was not used for any of the exercises and the judge wouldn't move it. We had to get leather number 2 first and of course the majority of dogs ran to the shinning marker on the ground and then followed the line to number 3.

Oh well - there is always tomorrow.

Kallistar what have you done to your dog and good luck if you make it to the start peg.

We did UDX today - hmmmm - they do it differently here in Queensland. We were on a pass until the sendaway - where the cones were on an angle, I asked the judge if I could line my dog up with the cones in a straight line and was told - nope - had to stand on the marker. So Scoota bless him ran a straight line as he has been trained to do and ended up a couple of meters away from the prescribed area. IT was all downhill from there as he didn't stand on the last position in distance control and then failed the first blind retrieve - nope the dog couldn't see the markers and there was a metal marker on the ground - half way out to leather number 3 - which was like a beacon with the sun shinning on it. Interesting that this marker was not used for any of the exercises and the judge wouldn't move it. We had to get leather number 2 first and of course the majority of dogs ran to the shinning marker on the ground and then followed the line to number 3.

Oh well - there is always tomorrow.

Kallistar what have you done to your dog and good luck if you make it to the start peg.

Hey what are you doing in Qld? Sticky beak aren't I ? Bummer for you and Scooter,but good luck for tomorrow.

As for the marker I know what you mean as I have had that happen to me too.

I try to teach Tux to go to the prescribed area on all sorts of angles. But today at training he decided that I didn't mean it and stopped short of the cones.

His best exercise was the clothes and now it is broken :( The only exercises that we did well in training was the SB with decoy, PIM and DC, all the rest is broken.

If I do go tomorrow, I will have every thing crossed that we get the clothes ok. The rest I can do without any major help.

Ok from a person not trialling or training a dog for UDX - have I missed something I thought the send to the prescribed area was a straight sendaway :o. Do I have to go back and read the rule book.

Kallistar - we are in Brisbane for the National Obedience Championships ;)

Yep I too should be training for him to find the prescribed area from anywhere - but really we have done no distraction work and nothing out of the ordinary because it seems that every week we are trialling and we are still at the stage of every second week fixing an exercise that is broken. Its on the to do list, but obviously its not high enough up the list :laugh:

Good luck today - may the wash cloth fairy be looking after you :thumbsup:

Ok from a person not trialling or training a dog for UDX - have I missed something I thought the send to the prescribed area was a straight sendaway :o. Do I have to go back and read the rule book.

Yes Ness it is suppose to be a straight sendaway but if the cones are set on an angle (across the ring on a diangle sp? head is fuzzy with cold so can't spell at all this morning) it looks different to the dog and handler. The prescribed area can be anywhere that the judges choose to put.

In UD the prescribed area is always in the same spot, with the only difference with the distances that it is set out..... min to max distance.

Kallistar - we are in Brisbane for the National Obedience Championships ;)

Yep I too should be training for him to find the prescribed area from anywhere - but really we have done no distraction work and nothing out of the ordinary because it seems that every week we are trialling and we are still at the stage of every second week fixing an exercise that is broken. Its on the to do list, but obviously its not high enough up the list :laugh:

Good luck today - may the wash cloth fairy be looking after you :thumbsup:

Oh ok I forgot that the Nationals was on in Brissy.. Good luck for today

Thanks and yes I too hope that the clothes fairy will look after me. If that is the only thing that we do right today I will be very pleased. Head is very stuffy this morning. But I promised someone that I would be there today..

Ah ok so its not that its not "straight" its just that it doesn't look the same to the dog and handler. I think I understand. One of the UD judges likes to set you up at on a "diagonal" for articles. Well they just don't put the articles along a straight ring edge - so the dog and the handler are still straight to the articles but on a diagonal. Sounds like this sendaway was set up similarly.

Fuel light was on from yesterday - nothing in the tank.......

He hung in there until distance control and failed the 4th change of position - the sit to the down, then failed the second blind retrieve.

Still I was tickled pink with what he did.

How did you get on Kallistar?

He hung in there until distance control and failed the 4th change of position - the sit to the down, then failed the second blind retrieve.

buggar for you Ptolomy..

We got 27/30 SB with Decoy

29/40 PIM as we copped a sub for a missed down.

Well the clothe fairy shone brightly for me :)30/30

Sendaway recall 30/30.. And the take up position wasn't in line with the cone, so I was very pleased that he did them as he turns right handed into the prescribed area

Stupid handler flicked a down position in the DC and that was end of that. MR he was on auto pilot ( very happy boy) and went and got the wrong one.

and of course 10 for the GE.

In all I am happy as he worked with alot of enthusiaum (Sp?) and enjoyed his time in the ring.

Sounds like he did a really good workout...congrats! Sometimes it's not about the qualifying but the attitude. All good for the next one :)

buggar for you Ptolomy..

Sendaway recall 30/30.. And the take up position wasn't in line with the cone, so I was very pleased that he did them as he turns right handed into the prescribed area

Stupid handler flicked a down position in the DC and that was end of that. MR he was on auto pilot ( very happy boy) and went and got the wrong one.

In all I am happy as he worked with alot of enthusiaum (Sp?) and enjoyed his time in the ring.

Sounds like he did a really good workout...congrats! Sometimes it's not about the qualifying but the attitude. All good for the next one :)

buggar for you Ptolomy..

I agree with you both there. Oh well another two weeks before we trial again.

Good luck tomorrow xena98 - I will send the towel fairy over express post!

I think our boys are becoming more confident ;) The issue I now have is flat batteries - if he is flat I lose my distance control, but if he is up - we don't have a problem. I guess its the same as losing UD signals.

Definitely need the towel fairy I hope it doesnt get stuck anywhere and arrives in time.

This is just getting so frustrating. Her towels were the best exercise and it's now like she has never been taught at all. Heelwork in motion fine now that is sorted and depends on her mood if we do the seekback. If she is being a bit of a .... she wont do it at all and will only pick the decoy but if she is in a great mood she will totally ignore the decoy and come back with mine Arghh. and you just dont know what kind of mood she is going to be in. Typical coolie think they are a bit neurotic and moody