Mouthing In The Ring.

klink

This question we have all asked ourselves many times. Can I mouth my own dog in the show ring. answer...yes. However, do the members feel as i do that it should be mandatory that exhibitors mouth their own dog.

If you think about it ,very, very rarely does a judge wash his hands after each dog. Of course this would be very time consuming and really is not feasible. The health risks to our dogs' is enourmous and I am sure you would not want your doctor placing his hands in your mouth after a previous patient. I know plenty of judges would be quite happy for this to happen ,providing the exhibitor knows the correct way to do this,I would like to hear you comments re this.

It doesn't bother me and I can't say we've ever picked up anything from a show.

I'd love to see some people mouth their dogs, that they barely can get to stack, let alone take both hands off to do it for the judge :laugh:

Agree with this comment.

Doesn't bother me either. The only thing I object to is when a judge is rough, especially when it's a baby. It took me a little while to get my baby past the fact that the judge at her second show scared her half to death when going to mouth her.

It doesn't bother me and I can't say we've ever picked up anything from a show.

I'd love to see some people mouth their dogs, that they barely can get to stack, let alone take both hands off to do it for the judge :laugh:

Agree'd. Nothing worse than a dog that starts bucking and carrying on when a strange person puts their hands on their face...

Edit to add- it doesnt bother me personally either way though!

Edited by tommygirl

One of my boys shows his own teeth on command :D (fully open mouth with lips curled up (dally smile)) - but with a 40+kg black dobermann male that might freak our a few judges :rofl: .

Doesn't bother me really - none of my dogs have picked up anything as far as I know. Though judges always seem to clean their hands after the bullys b4 dobes - I gather due to the excessive amount of slobber.

If we had to do it ourselves it would sure provide some laughs with my young ones - its hard enough to get them to stand still and not play the get the tongue in the mouth game with the judge as it is.

I'd much rather mouth my own dogs ... and I have shown under quite a few judges who have asked for this.

The original post mentioned "provided the exhibitor knows the correct way to do this" ... let me tell you ..

there are a LOT of judges out there who do NOT mouth dogs correctly.

Edited by Dellcara

I would rather mouth my own dog.

I find most judges approach my GSD with apprehension and this causes him to start moving his head around. No signs of aggression just trying it on. While I understand the breed has a not so good reputation ATM, nervous judges should ask the owner rather than approach an entire male with shaking hands. If I get too many do this in a row, it may become a habit I don't want.

How do you mouth your own dog without offending the judge? Can you ask or do you just do?

Like others, I would love to see some handlers mouth their dog while trying to hold it's back end up in the stack :banghead:

I would rather mouth my own dog.

I find most judges approach my GSD with apprehension and this causes him to start moving his head around. No signs of aggression just trying it on. While I understand the breed has a not so good reputation ATM, nervous judges should ask the owner rather than approach an entire male with shaking hands. If I get too many do this in a row, it may become a habit I don't want.

How do you mouth your own dog without offending the judge? Can you ask or do you just do?

Like others, I would love to see some handlers mouth their dog while trying to hold it's back end up in the stack :banghead:

You appear to sometimes encounter the same problems as I have also experienced myself ,with nervous or tentative judges with my dogs. I think that quite often the judges have a breed phobia with certain large breeds e.g. GSD< Dobermans , rottweilers etc. As I have stated,regardless of the breed it is far more hygienic to mouth your own dog. IMO anyone who has trouble with their dogs doing this need to train their dogs to allow this to be done, it isnt' very hard.Exhibitors need to remember, a confident handler makes a confident dog.

if hte judge is lookig at teeth don't worry about back end of dog just quickly recorrect it when finished showing teeth. i know how to do mine and will if asked. i have rottis by the way. but two pups that do forget to not fidget we working on proofing the longer stand but it isn't hard to recorrect stack for judge to go over them after teeth have been looked at