Advice To Stop Him Destroying Things Please..

kitkatswing

Just got a call from husband, seems our 7 month old JRT has chewed and torn the couch outside whilst he was out surfing.. He has done this one or twice before and has been punished for it...

Hubby ranted and raved and said if he does it once more we are giving him away.. (Not going to happen btw unless I go with the dog)....

Is there any advise on what I can do to stop him tearing the couches apart???

Please dont say more toys etc, as he has a ton outside that are rotated and also has kongs, etc sandpit...

How much exercise does he get?

Do you do any training with thim?

Is he walked regularly?

What mental stimulus do you give him?

Pups are destructive if they are bored and have too much energy.

As for toys... do you alternate his toys? Because pups can get bored of the same toys all the time too, no matter how much he has.

Edited by CW EW

How much exercise does he get?

Do you do any training with thim?

Is he walked regularly?

What mental stimulus do you give him?

Pups are destructive if they are bored and have too much energy.

As for toys... do you alternate his toys? Because pups can get bored of the same toys all the time too, no matter how much he has.

He gets two walks a day, morning and afternoon... Training every day with me..

Lots of stiluating toys etc...

His play toys are rotated too..

I think he is just testing us.. But hubby is steaming mad....

Yeah thats what I am thinking too... CAnt tell the other half that though... My next comback to him will be "So what are you going ot do when our kids destroy things, give them away too?? ...

ToT and NILIF ??????

Yeah thats what I am thinking too... CAnt tell the other half that though... My next comback to him will be "So what are you going ot do when our kids destroy things, give them away too?? ...

ToT and NILIF ??????

TOT= Triangle of temptation

NILIF= Nothing in life is free.

:)

My girl is 18 months and will still destroy anything outside. I wouldn't dream of putting a couch out there with her :laugh:

Some dogs just seem to do it, no matter how much exercise and training they get.

You could try using a beeper or some kind of adverse sound, making him believe that you are not home, and waiting until he starts destroying something. IMO that's the only way you will be able to let him know he's done the wrong thing. To him it is just something to do and he doesn't understand why he's getting in trouble hours after the fact.

ToT and NILIF ??????

TOT= Triangle of temptation

NILIF= Nothing in life is free.

:)

:thumbsup: yep

Sure, but I am just not quite sure how that translates to things a dog does while you are not around and does not understand are undesirable. I can see a loose connection, just not a big one. Maybe I am missing something :)

Ive been thinking about it. He seems to only rip when he gets the button off the couch.. ITs like a game for him. So I am thinking of maybe making some cheap cushion covers this weekend and see if that takes away the temptation to pull at the button then "pull all the inside goodness out"

There is one more thing....we have a mouse invasion here currently. Is it possible he was chasing a mouse. Our dogs are in constant hunt mode at present. And if a mouse is buried into something they will try to do anything to get it

Ive been thinking about it. He seems to only rip when he gets the button off the couch.. ITs like a game for him. So I am thinking of maybe making some cheap cushion covers this weekend and see if that takes away the temptation to pull at the button then "pull all the inside goodness out"

Good idea, the button is tempting to him and once he sees that stuffing it's a big game. Some dogs just like to rip stuff up, especially at 7 months, and it doesn't necessarily mean there is anything wrong with the leadership of the owner. Like wuffles, I can see a loose connection, but not a big one. Upping his exercise might help, but managing it through the teenage years by removing or minimising temptation helps too. If there is a suitable place to confine him away from temptation when you are all out it would help but it depends how long you are away for.

Some dogs never outgrow it, but most do. I came home once and mine had pulled every little sprinkler head out of the trickle irrigation system. She hadn't chewed anything, but the little sprinkler heads had become fascinating and she had tracked the pipe all over the garden and extracted them. All I could do was laugh and put them back (but out of her sight).

Edited by Diva

Sure, but I am just not quite sure how that translates to things a dog does while you are not around and does not understand are undesirable. I can see a loose connection, just not a big one. Maybe I am missing something :)

That's true. And, now I think about it.. there is probably more to it (and there is :) with buttons )

To me, the thread just sounds like a naughty puppy who is bored and it's a start of a terrible teen phase. That's when I will up the training and exercise, re established leadership. That's why I suggest ToT and NILIF.

Edited by CW EW

for a small dog like that ... the BIG meaty bones would keep him entertained for a while.. and give him his dose of endorphins :)

Toys which move/make noise may be useful as well.. what sort of toys does he have ?

Is he sleeping on the couch, or is it for human use?

if it is not for dog use.. I would liberally sprinkle it with pepper .. or citronella oil .

I would also remove the buttons , if practicable.

can you wrap a little rag around the button soaked in some eucalyptus oil or vinegar? not harmful to dog but they don't like the smell/taste. Alternately a similar idea to hang the rags where he would jump up on the couches! (sorry don't know if this would work logistically with your couch design).

are your kong/s filled with kibble/treats and not too easy to get? I have used different shaped containers (yoghurt/ice cream tubs) with holes punched in them and edges sealed with duct tape, then treats for them to try get out whilst I am out.