Dog Friendly Cafes

HazyWal

When a friend visited from Sydney recently she suggested we go for breakfast at one of the many cafes along the main beach strip where I live.I don't do cafes generally but off we went with my two greyhounds and another friend and her 4 month old ridgyX.Out of about 20 cafes there are about 5 that are dog friendly and they advertise them as doggy friendly,so we chose one of them and sat down.A couple came and sat at the next table and immediatley started looking at the dogs with distatse.My two were laying on the ground next to my chair and the puppy was tied to my friends chair.The woman continued with the death stares which I gave back tenfold(petty I know but my patience was running out)then before I could point her in the direction of "nasty bitch cafe"they stood up and stormed off not before hissing at my friend"bloody dogs shouldn't be allowed in cafes"!HELLO were in a dog cafe you imbecile!As my friend quickly held down the salt and pepper shakers and anything else I could use as a missile my friend with the puppy says it happens all the time!Then a young friend was telling me he and his girlfriend do coffee quite a bit down there but they go to a different cafe with their rescue greyhound.The other day a woman with a pram ran straight over Fred's(his dog)leg.When he stood up and said to her that she just went out of her way to run over his dog she spat out"get your dog off the footpath".Ashleys reply can't be printed here.Mind you the council have widened the footpaths to allow for outdoor dining.What is wrong with people?I don't have kids(not two legged)but I don't go down to the local park,sit on the swings and glare at the parents and push the kids over!Has anyone else had these experiences.I'm gobsmacked :mad

Aww Stan *hugs*

You poor thing. I have had the same thing but not at cafes anywhere public I take my dogs. I get the evil glare look and I always get the comment,

'Savage dogs like that should not be allowed near children!' Or, 'I hate the look of those dangerous dogs'

It's always accompanied by the evil glare, hiss and inappropriate comments but of course we know my dogs are social, placid creatures. I do what you do glare then tisk very loudly when it's their dog pulling at the leash snarling and barking at mine (usually little ones). I don't mind giving them the evil glare back and if needed a comment. No harm in that (as long as it's not abusive) next time I'd subtly say, mate the point of dog cafes is to bring the dogs. If you are not comfortable find a new cafe. It's not your dogs who are uncomfortable or you, at the end of the day these whiney scrapes of moss in society need to build a bridge and get the funk over it or grow under it I don't care as long as they don't annoy us pet owners.

Don't worry Stan's you did the right thing. I'm exactly the same I don't have kids, and I don't go to the park and go get your grubby little infant away from me, tell him to stop having vegemite around his mouth and boogers out his nose cause it disgusts me. You just realise you're in a park and that comes with the territory :p

As long as your dogs were responsibly and adequately restrained and behaved then stuff em. :)

Edited by jackie_a1

Why would you go to a Dog Cafe if you don't like dogs - don't know why but some people seem to think they own the planet. Would have been less than polite to someone that thought it OK to run over my dogs leg - stupid selfish cow. Imagine if the dog had jumped up and knocked the pram over that would no doubt not have been her fault either.

Edited by Mags

No different to when you go into a dog park that is fenced & signed as such, then morons bring their children, then complain about the dogs in a dog park icon_smile_mad.gif

Slightly ot......I hate it when certain types of mothers think they have the right of way, because they have a pram confused.gif

Dont get me started on Mums with prams who think they have the right also to re-arrange the sitting in cafes, cause they need/want to sit in the best table and expect everyone to move for them icon_smile_mad.gif

Maybe we should all move this to the "children free" thread on off topic wink.gif

Wow, how awful. :mad

I live in inner-city Sydney & have always taken dogs to local cafes- I have never had another customer give me attitude!!

Like you, Stans mum, I would be pretty damn angry about it.

I have kids too & I make sure everyone, including our dog, is well behaved if we all go to a cafe.

Next time, feel sorry for the sourpusses- they were unhappy & left, you were able to stay & enjoy yourselves. :D

Sad that so many people are becoming so un-dog-friendly. I want to know why I cant sit at an outdoor eating area with my dog sitting beside me minding his own business... but people with loud noisy screaming children playing zoomies between the tables are okay???

My dog is cleaner than some people and he doesn't even eat at the table!

Sad that so many people are becoming so un-dog-friendly. I want to know why I cant sit at an outdoor eating area with my dog sitting beside me minding his own business... but people with loud noisy screaming children playing zoomies between the tables are okay???

My dog is cleaner than some people and he doesn't even eat at the table!

Totally agree !!!!!!!! thumbsup1.gifthumbsup1.gif

Aww Stan *hugs*

You poor thing. I have had the same thing but not at cafes anywhere public I take my dogs. I get the evil glare look and I always get the comment,

'Savage dogs like that should not be allowed near children!' Or, 'I hate the look of those dangerous dogs'

It's always accompanied by the evil glare, hiss and inappropriate comments but of course we know my dogs are social, placid creatures. I do what you do glare then tisk very loudly when it's their dog pulling at the leash snarling and barking at mine (usually little ones). I don't mind giving them the evil glare back and if needed a comment. No harm in that (as long as it's not abusive) next time I'd subtly say, mate the point of dog cafes is to bring the dogs. If you are not comfortable find a new cafe. It's not your dogs who are uncomfortable or you, at the end of the day these whiney scrapes of moss in society need to build a bridge and get the funk over it or grow under it I don't care as long as they don't annoy us pet owners.

Don't worry Stan's you did the right thing. I'm exactly the same I don't have kids, and I don't go to the park and go get your grubby little infant away from me, tell him to stop having vegemite around his mouth and boogers out his nose cause it disgusts me. You just realise you're in a park and that comes with the territory :p

As long as your dogs were responsibly and adequately restrained and behaved then stuff em. :)

That is so funny :rofl:

No different to when you go into a dog park that is fenced & signed as such, then morons bring their children, then complain about the dogs in a dog park icon_smile_mad.gif

Slightly ot......I hate it when certain types of mothers think they have the right of way, because they have a pram confused.gif

Dont get me started on Mums with prams who think they have the right also to re-arrange the sitting in cafes, cause they need/want to sit in the best table and expect everyone to move for them icon_smile_mad.gif

Maybe we should all move this to the "children free" thread on off topic wink.gif

Please don't move to off topic I don't have enought posts to get in there!!!!!! :(

I can feel for you stansmum. I even get people cross the road when i walk my cat, dog, child and free range chicken friendly greyhounds just because they have to wear a muzzle.

Whats wrong with anyone taking a well behaved dog to an outdoor cafe!! I agree that there is usually kids running around causing much more havic!!

Interestingly, we've generally had good reactions to the dogs when at cafes. When we were on a roadtrip earlier in the year, we had a few people actually approach us to say what lovely dogs we had, or ask if they could pat them. Whether they have been with us at the table, tethered a short distance away, or in the back of the wagon with the door up, lots of people walked past and smiled or asked questions.

One of mine is a big black dog and even he generally gets good reactions from people when we are out and about.

Unfortunately the 'general cultural attitude' here in Australia is not open to dog friendly places. I've railled against this for many years, even opening dog friendly cafes myself. It's one thing that really really craps me off..

I've just returned from several weeks in UK and France where thank dog, dogs are very very welcome..

I've shared my dinner, table and lap with many dogs ranging from large musterlanders , estrelea mountain dogs, weis, labs and a multitude of other pure breeds and x's without any comments, looks or 'worry' from anyone even in crowded pubs. The only time someone said something was the musterlander (dog was called Danny) owner who was a bit worried the dog may be too large and bothersome for me, the dog was really gorgeous. all these dogs were not on lead and wandered if they felt like it and all had terrific temperaments.

Also had many dogs in the B & Bs including owners ones who , lucky for me, slept in the bed with me... there was a spinone weekend while I was there but I could not attend as it was in Norfolk and I was far north scotland, but there were hundreds of them, in B & Bs, hotels , pubs, etc. for a longweekend.

they are allowed in national parks on lead, there are areas to leave your dogs if you cannot take them inside, ie. museums etc. , these areas have shade, kennels, water, tying up facilities. Signs everywhere you go about not leaving dogs in cars etc, dogs shopping with owners, in hairdressers, etc. on busses, taxis, trains, even in the city.

I've come back as a whinging Pom!! because of this and the low cost of everything there (even if the dollar were not so strong it works out cheaper) except fuel, the great roads, courteous drivers, masses of wildflowers (spring), friendly people etc..

That is really unfair. Many dogs have better manners than kids in a cafe anyway!

We went to a cafe the other morning at the beach in Perth. Our lab baby was very popular there and everyone was lovely and kept coming up to pat her. I had to laugh at the waitress though who came gushing up to Olive and said "omg she is beautiful, is she a golden retriever???" my partner and I looked at each other and I replied with a big smile "no.... She is a BLACK Labrador" we are still laughing at this comment!

I've had friends who are against me bringing my pup to a dog-friendly cafe and just sit there with their waterbowls, telling me to get a petsitter so I can get a social life. Needless to say its pretty rude and equivalent to saying get a babysitter for your newborn each tiem you go for a coffee, but that's just how some people are.

Had to smile when I read this thread as it echoes so many of our thoughts and experiences.

We love going out for a coffee and enjoy taking Loki (and now Lilac as well) along with us IF the venue is o.k. about it.

One of our favourite cafe's is quite close an open off lead area where we often meet with another Great Dane friend for a Sunday morning walk followed by breakfast.

We always book a special table that is a bit out of the way so our big dogs won't get in anyone's path (or face), not that it's really a problem as the hounds are normally tired from their running around and just lie around the table anyway - although we do tie them up for good measure.

The staff all love them, know all the dogs names (but not ours) and always come past for a special pat and cuddle.

Not long ago, on a typically busy Sunday morning, a pair of ladies, one with a very small child, arrived without a reservation and "had" to sit at a table near us, although they vociferously notified the staff of their displeasure at having to be near the dogs.

We were all about half way through our breakfasts and did our best to ignore them despite the constant glares and pointed comments to one another (obviously for our benefit) about all the things they hate about dogs being near tables, friends who let their dogs in the house, dogs being allowed in public et cetera and generally doing their very best to try and make us feel like some sort of second class vermin...but since we have giant dogs we are pretty much inured to lots of attention anyway.

Half an hour later we finished and left giving the miseries a big smile as we did.

Next week I was asking one of the staff who served these lovely ladies how it all went with them.

He told me that they spent two hours over one coffee each and then afterwards complained in detail about the unpleasantness of the experience.

They couldn't understand that no one made any effort to placate them, although they were probably lucky that the owner/chef wasn't there for the conversation...as he owns three Great Danes of his own and would have offered to bring them around next time as well.

He loves the dogs and has a whole list of people he would sooner ban from his venue before he stopped letting well behaved dogs sit with their people.

Cheers.

Not sure if we have many in Perth but when i got my pup we went to Bunbury, we sat at a cafe outside the local shopping centre as they have an outside bit and the waiter even brought us a bowl of water for him, he was tethered to our chairs next to the wall and he gots lots of cuddles from people. now that he is 65 kgs not sure i'd get the same reaction though. but if you are outside i can't see a problem but that;s just me :D

Had to smile when I read this thread as it echoes so many of our thoughts and experiences.

We love going out for a coffee and enjoy taking Loki (and now Lilac as well) along with us IF the venue is o.k. about it.

One of our favourite cafe's is quite close an open off lead area where we often meet with another Great Dane friend for a Sunday morning walk followed by breakfast.

We always book a special table that is a bit out of the way so our big dogs won't get in anyone's path (or face), not that it's really a problem as the hounds are normally tired from their running around and just lie around the table anyway - although we do tie them up for good measure.

The staff all love them, know all the dogs names (but not ours) and always come past for a special pat and cuddle.

Not long ago, on a typically busy Sunday morning, a pair of ladies, one with a very small child, arrived without a reservation and "had" to sit at a table near us, although they vociferously notified the staff of their displeasure at having to be near the dogs.

We were all about half way through our breakfasts and did our best to ignore them despite the constant glares and pointed comments to one another (obviously for our benefit) about all the things they hate about dogs being near tables, friends who let their dogs in the house, dogs being allowed in public et cetera and generally doing their very best to try and make us feel like some sort of second class vermin...but since we have giant dogs we are pretty much inured to lots of attention anyway.

Half an hour later we finished and left giving the miseries a big smile as we did.

Next week I was asking one of the staff who served these lovely ladies how it all went with them.

He told me that they spent two hours over one coffee each and then afterwards complained in detail about the unpleasantness of the experience.

They couldn't understand that no one made any effort to placate them, although they were probably lucky that the owner/chef wasn't there for the conversation...as he owns three Great Danes of his own and would have offered to bring them around next time as well.

He loves the dogs and has a whole list of people he would sooner ban from his venue before he stopped letting well behaved dogs sit with their people.

Cheers.

Well, at least this gives you some hope that their so called "negative" experience means they'll never return to the same cafe!