New Puppy Issues

ksmr84

I have brought home a 9 week old Husky X Border Collie, and initially he was really good with housetraining and only had 1 or 2 accidents on the tiles. Now whenever we leave the house or go to bed, we come back to find poo and wee all over the house. He has a puppy pad near the door that he was using well for the first few days, but now he's just ignoring it. Even when we let him out to wee and poo just before we leave the house, he still leaves wee and poo everywhere, even after being gone for only 2 hours.

During the night he also cries as soon as we leave him alone downstairs. He whines and howls and throws himself against the baby gate we have installed to keep him from coming upstairs. We've tried to ignore it hoping he settles down, but after half an hour he keeps going and we're worried the neighbours will start complaining soon. He is always left with plenty of treats and toys, but nothing seems to distract him from crying while we are out of sight.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I have brought home a 9 week old Husky X Border Collie, and initially he was really good with housetraining and only had 1 or 2 accidents on the tiles. Now whenever we leave the house or go to bed, we come back to find poo and wee all over the house. He has a puppy pad near the door that he was using well for the first few days, but now he's just ignoring it. Even when we let him out to wee and poo just before we leave the house, he still leaves wee and poo everywhere, even after being gone for only 2 hours.

During the night he also cries as soon as we leave him alone downstairs. He whines and howls and throws himself against the baby gate we have installed to keep him from coming upstairs. We've tried to ignore it hoping he settles down, but after half an hour he keeps going and we're worried the neighbours will start complaining soon. He is always left with plenty of treats and toys, but nothing seems to distract him from crying while we are out of sight.

Why don't you put him in a crate next to your bed, then take him out on the grass when he gets agitated during the night. Quickest way to toilet train them. My BC pup has only had one mishap in his crate since I brought him home 2 weeks ago & that was my fault (too slow to get out of bed) Now he sleeps right through the night from 9 till 6 & has been for about 10 days now. Crates are a great way to go :thumbsup:

Why don't you put him in a crate next to your bed, then take him out on the grass when he gets agitated during the night. Quickest way to toilet train them. My BC pup has only had one mishap in his crate since I brought him home 2 weeks ago & that was my fault (too slow to get out of bed) Now he sleeps right through the night from 9 till 6 & has been for about 10 days now. Crates are a great way to go :thumbsup:

This is exactly what my partner and I are currently doing. We've been taking turns waking up (puppy let's us know when he starts ripping newspapers in the crate, lol) and take him out on to the lawn to do his thing. Works great!

sheena, if your pup is doing its business everywhere, you have have to re-train it on the right spot that he can only do his business. Before that, I'd start by cleaning all the places he peed/ pooped with non-ammonia based cleaning products as he'll smell the scent where he previously "marked".

This is exactly what my partner and I are currently doing. We've been taking turns waking up (puppy let's us know when he starts ripping newspapers in the crate, lol) and take him out on to the lawn to do his thing. Works great!

sheena, if your pup is doing its business everywhere, you have have to re-train it on the right spot that he can only do his business. Before that, I'd start by cleaning all the places he peed/ pooped with non-ammonia based cleaning products as he'll smell the scent where he previously "marked".

:confused: thought I said the opposite :confused: ....he sleeps right through the night & has only had ONE mishap (which was my fault) in over two weeks. When it comes to toileting...he is an absolute dream :thumbsup: thanks to crates.

Are you just popping him outside to go to the toilet, or taking him out on the lead and waiting until he goes? Treats for going in the right spot?

We've only had our pup 2.5 months - but she's now good enough to toilet on command (Go pee go poop). We took Ziva out on lead to her toilet spot every 1.5-2 hrs for the first 6 weeks. Then for the next 2 weeks it was off lead. Now after 2.5 months she (most of the time) remembers to take herself out. Even then - I still go outside for a walk every 2 hrs just in case.

I followed Dr Ian Dunbar's guide to toilet training.

Hello,

It is all quite hard isn't it? I think so!

When we got our border collie puppy (now nearly 4 months) we followed a friends method of toilet training and it seems to have worked a treat:

Night one: Crate in your bedroom wake up for EVERY noise your pup makes and take him out to the toilet spot (choose a word to use as a command, ours is 'busy busy').

Night two: Crate in your room and when they make a noise wait a little bit and then take them out to the spot

Night three: like magic they sleep right through the night! Ours from 8 till 630! Then each night we gradually moved her crate down the hall and into the kitchen.

I couldn't bear to pay so much for a crate so found a baby play pen at a garage sale ($5) and cut down two of its sides so it was narrower and put in a door and it has worked a treat! You don't have to buy those ones for 100's of dollars!

And we were just rigorous through the day in taking her outside, looking for her signs (sniffing floor, sniffing air, disinterest in toys, loss of focus and sometimes absolute craziness was due to need for the toilet!), if you just pop out of the house you can put your pup in the crate and he shouldn't soil it.

Our girl only got really confused with her toileting when we made a new room available to her, it had carpet while the others had wood! And because she didn't think that it was part of her 'den', she thought it was another outside, she went to the loo in it! Oh no!

Good luck!! :D

Get a crate.

Most 9 week old puppies can't hold through the night and will need to be taken out several times when they wake. Most puppies will toilet all over your house if given the opportunity to do so and it's not something you want them to practice.

Puppy needs to be in a crate, on leash, or supervised 100% of the time and taken out regularly. If you want him to go in the yard take him there, if you want him to go on a puppy pad take him to that. Don't leave him to his own devices and expect that he will figure it out.

Keep in mind that some puppies will go two or three times before they are done too.

We're not wanting to use a crate in the bedroom, but he is confined to the kitchen downstairs which is all tiled. Even if we're gone for an hour, and we take him out to wee and poo before we leave, we still come back to atleast one pee on the floor. It doesn't seem to be a matter of wether he can hold it or not, it's just that he goes where ever he can, and won't give us any indication before he does it (no noise, going to the door, sniffing around, etc.)

A 9 week old has very little conscious control of bladder/bowel. It is YOUR responsibility to toilet him at least every 1/2 hour - and, if you leave him with no outdoor access, to train him to use a doggie loo indoors. ;)

Think of it... you have a human baby - a few months old . he is having a nappy free time, and pees all over the carpet . NOT the baby's fault .. he is a baby . Same for baby pups. When they gotta go.. they GO.

OH - and I think the crossbreed you have will be a very lively and vocal puppy .. two working breeds combined.. breeds with so much drive and energy .... It is not a cross I would take on .

Edited by persephone

crate him in the kitchen then?

When puppies are confined to a small area (eg just enough to turn around in) they are less likely to toilet.

I resisted putting the crate in my bedroom as well, and I can tell you it was a mistake.

I endured almost 2 months of a puppy crying/barking etc for around 2 hrs each night and had to get up really early to let the puppy out to toilet.

When I moved her to my room, there was no noise at all, She started sleeping from 10pm-7am without having an accident and it was much less stressful.

I haven't actually moved her out of my room as such but some nights she chooses to sleep downstairs by herself (usually when its hot) or even outside.

The dog is a puppy, your expectations of toilet training are too high.

Don't set the puppy up for faliure, do not let it have free reine of the house when you leave, Crate the puppy or put it outside.

Dogs don't know what toilet pads are unless you teach them and keeping putting them on it at the right times and praises.....over a period of time not just a few days or a week.

The only solution is to confine him to a crate, pen or an small area, when you cannot directly supervise ( this includes night time ) and to make sure that he is taken out for very regular toilet stops and that he goes while out there. Praise, praise and more praise for getting it right.

You will still need to get up at least a couple of times during the night, as he's going to go whenever and wherever he needs to.

Pups of that age basically urinate within a few seconds of waking up and taking the first couple of steps out of their bed. You need to be quick to catch him and get him outside. If he's downstairs and you're asleep in the bedroom, you have virtually no chance of that happening.