Lactating Bitch Not Interested In Food?

indigirl

A friend (agaisnt my advice) bred her 5.5yr old maiden boxer bitch. While both dogs are purebred and papered this is an unreg litter as my friend is not a reg breeder. However whats done is done and now Im concered about the bitch. After a very long and difficult labour the bitch eventually had a c-section on Sunday, and they have 7 healthy pups. The concern is that the bitch is extremely thin. I am unable to be there in person as they live on the NSW central coast. The vet expressed concern about the bitch looking very underweight, and now the bitch wont eat anything they have tried to offer her. They have tried stimulating her appetitie with nutrigel, offering her puppy miljk with raw eggs, raw beef and chicken, dog food - she wont eat anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions what they can feed her that may get her eating? According to the vet she doesnt have an infection she jsut has a low appetite. The obvious concern is that if they cant get the bitch to eat then the pups will prolly not be getting enough milk. This bitch has historically always been ahrd to keep weight on, she jsut doesnt have a large appetite and tends to look thin.

Its been more than 48 hrs since the c-sectiona nd I would have expected the bitch to take food by now. She is feeding and tending to the pups fine and mum and bubs appear settled and content.

A bitch with pups that age doesn't generally produce gallons of milk and so doesn't generally need pounds of food. I would be more concerned with ensuring her calcium levels were kept up rather than fuss and upset her with constantly offering her food when she is obviously not wanting it.

Warm BBQ chicken from the supermarket almost always works

Warmed raw egg (or scrambled if she is known to hate raw egg)

Above all else, calcium supplement.

Lightly cooked "low fat" mince (still warm) usually goes down well too. I say low fat because it's usually dogs that don't like to eat much don't digest fat well, and the last thing she needs is a stomach upset.

Put the food near her in the whelping box (wedge it in so the pups can't tip it or crawl into it), turn off the lights and leave her alone could be useful too.

A healthy animal won't starve so obviously she is feeling crap. Probably all the anaesthetic & sore too. 2 days isn't long & its a shock to the system & scary too for the dog.

Warmth, somewhere she feels safe & a nice selection of various tempting foods within easy reach & she will eat when she is ready.

If she doesn't drink anything that is a worry, straight on to vet.

Mine are sometimes slow to eat after a caesar as well. I normally make them a gruelly type meal of raw mince with a bit of warm water and finger feed a few mouthfuls. She may need to just be left with something in the box as suggested.