First He Said A Dog Was Okay, Then He Changed His Mind

Iskiea

I think you're doing the right thing finding alternate lodging. Here in Sydney it took me a while to find an ideal location but eventually I managed to find somewhere which had dogs already, was close to a dog beach, and had the perfect surroundings for brilliant dog walks. I wouldn't put up with people who aren't passionate about dogs, since you'd lack confidence about how your pet was being treated in your absence.

I rehome dogs and talk to people about their situations. I would not rehome to anyone in your situation.

I feel sorry for you, you obviously are responsible and love dogs BUT do not have a house yourself, you are sharing. Therefore the choice is not yours.

This may sound harsh but I completely understand how you feel - I rented for 15 years and could never find anywhere that was stable or suitable to take on a dog. Thought I'd found a garden unit one time, had a month to sort everything out before I moved in, the landlord had 2 friendly dogs and there was one at the shelter I volunteered at that was on death row, that I loved. The day before I moved in, the previous tenant's new place fell through, the whole thing fell through. I was devastated - it had taken me 10 yrs to finally find somehwere I could have a dog but as you can see, the whole thing is very tenuous when you are renting. I had to wait, pure and simple because taking a dog on is a huge responsibility and you need to be secure and be able to be free to do what you want with your own dog and not have all the aggravation that you can get from living with someone who doesn't really want or like your dog.

Choice of dogs is very individual - noone likes every single dog, they are all so different so living with a dog that isn't your type isn't great mostly.

Keep saving, keep looking and eventually the time will be right. :)

I rehome dogs and talk to people about their situations. I would not rehome to anyone in your situation.

I feel sorry for you, you obviously are responsible and love dogs BUT do not have a house yourself, you are sharing. Therefore the choice is not yours.

This may sound harsh but I completely understand how you feel - I rented for 15 years and could never find anywhere that was stable or suitable to take on a dog. Thought I'd found a garden unit one time, had a month to sort everything out before I moved in, the landlord had 2 friendly dogs and there was one at the shelter I volunteered at that was on death row, that I loved. The day before I moved in, the previous tenant's new place fell through, the whole thing fell through. I was devastated - it had taken me 10 yrs to finally find somehwere I could have a dog but as you can see, the whole thing is very tenuous when you are renting. I had to wait, pure and simple because taking a dog on is a huge responsibility and you need to be secure and be able to be free to do what you want with your own dog and not have all the aggravation that you can get from living with someone who doesn't really want or like your dog.

Choice of dogs is very individual - noone likes every single dog, they are all so different so living with a dog that isn't your type isn't great mostly.

Keep saving, keep looking and eventually the time will be right. :)

Ouch.. that sounds like a big stress! Sorry you had to go through that :(

Good luck with the house hunt Iskiea. I got very lucky with my second rental (have moved a few times in my dog's lifetime, she is nearly 9 now!), the landlord happily wrote me a reference saying he was happy having her there because it provided better security for his property, and the property manager was great and said I left the house in better condition than when I moved in (cleaner and tidied garden!). Doesnt hurt to ask for these things for when it is time to move again. I have my own house now but I rent that out (to a family with an ACD) but I still rent myself - my landlord has met my dog and also met my fosters :)

Wish me luck everyone, I have had some wonderful friends who adore dogs step up and want to move in with me. Between the three of us we have agreed to consistent training and plenty of spoiling.. in the right way of course. Hopefully things will go better living with mates rather than strangers. I'm calling a few places tomorrow so fingers crossed guys we get the one at the top of our list.

Good luck.I've rented all my life with dogs and as Panto said I have always left the property in better condition than when I moved in.That way you can get good doggie references.Some places you can offer to pay a doggie bond.A bit extra on your house bond and just lets the landlord know you won't let your dog destroy the place.It's worked for me. :)

I don't know what its like in Canberra but aorudn the rental market seems pretty desperate to get renters, I just moved and trying to get a place that would take a dog the size of Brutus was a nightmare 3 years ago... now its more like... "Dog? so what.. just don't let it wreck the house... just PLEASE take the house!!" SO now i have a way better house, not near a busy road.. and owners who dont care what pets I have so long as the house stays in a cared for condition. So good luck with your search! :thumbsup:

I've always loved the idea of house-sharing provided everyone gets along. I'm still living at home with the folks and am about to get my new Aussie Terrier pup on Sunday. It took a bit of convincing as it's their house but eventually they came around to the idea.

As it stands I'd love to move out but I only work part-time and don't make enough to support myself but am completely open to renting with friends (or random strangers!!) as long as I can find somewhere dog friendly.

I wish you luck with your search and I hope everything goes well for you. I'd always seen myself as a cat person but now I can't imagine life without a dog and especially an Aussie!!

Wish me luck everyone, I have had some wonderful friends who adore dogs step up and want to move in with me. Between the three of us we have agreed to consistent training and plenty of spoiling.. in the right way of course. Hopefully things will go better living with mates rather than strangers. I'm calling a few places tomorrow so fingers crossed guys we get the one at the top of our list.

:thumbsup: Good luck! That sounds like a much better arrangement - hope everything goes well with the search!!