Owner Kills Own Dog To Stop Alleged Attack

Guest Willow

Guest Willow

Link to Article from the West Australian

A Langford dog owner was allegedly forced to stab their dog to death in order to free their partner from the Chinese fighting dog's jaws.

A 36-year-old man, who was still in Royal Perth Hospital yesterday afternoon, was left with severe injuries to his legs after being mauled by the dog.

A RPH spokesperson said he was in a stable condition.

The other dog owner, a 31-year-old woman, was bitten on both arms but was discharged from hospital yesterday because her injuries were not serious.

"The dog was stabbed to death in order to free the victim," a police spokesperson said.

Police said St John Ambulance received a call at about 10pm on Thursday from a Nicholson Road resident who was "screaming" they were being attacked.

But when they arrived they found the Chinese shar pei, which is not listed as a restricted breed, had been stabbed to death.

Police said it was up to local rangers to investigate the stabbing because it was not a criminal incident but City of Gosnells director of governance Trevor Perkins said police were authorised under the Dog Act to begin any civil or criminal proceedings.

Mr Perkins said there were no shar peis listed with the city as a dangerous dog.

Restricted dogs include the fila brasilerio, Japanese tosa and American pit bull terrier.

RSPCA WA spokesman Tim Mayne said if a dog was a restricted breed it did not mean the animal was not dangerous.

"It's is the deed rather than the breed," Mr Mayne said.

"Every time I get one of these calls it's a different type of dog.

"It's about how the dog has been brought up, it's the temperament, it's the training or sometimes there can be medical reasons why a dog attacks somebody."

For example, he had heard about a German shepherd which had been bashing its head against the wall and trying to attack young children.

"The vet euthanised it and during the post-mortem found a massive tumour on the brain that was driving the dog insane," Mr Mayne said.

He could not comment on whether he thought the stabbing was reasonable in the circumstances because he did not know all the details.

Some sites say parting sticks should only be used on pit bulls and not other breeds because most other breeds will fight by biting continually rather than use the hold and shake. I guess the average home wouldn't have one.

Given this dog had an undiagnosed brain tumor I guess the family weren't expecting it to go nuts on them. So sad but I think if my only chance to safe save a person was to stab the dog then that's what I'd do. :flame:

efs.

Edited by Ams

I say those site are full of it!, The parting stick used to stop a dog continuing to bite and biting is just that, a parting stick, and has been used in Australia since the first dogs ever arrived to stop attacks, as they were used in virtually all Euro countries back in the day before Aus settlement (unknown about Aboriginals and the Dingo).

I think some people think it must be a recent invention and from where else but the US of A f*** me lol :confused: My Grands had them from Boxers to Springers.

Ive read that to, on a pitbull rescue site of all places, ( Author unknown of course.)

poor dog, poor owner

It may very well have been the beloved pet of the couple and a horrible decision had to be made

RIP dog

and I hope that the man and his wife recover from the trauma and their injuries

Given this dog had an undiagnosed brain tumor I guess the family weren't expecting it to go nuts on them. So sad but I think if my only chance to safe save a person was to stab the dog then that's what I'd do. flame.gif

I don't think it was teh sharpei which had a tumour- I think it was a GSD ,elsewhere.

he had heard about a German shepherd which had been bashing its head against the wall and trying to attack young children.

"The vet euthanised it and during the post-mortem found a massive tumour on the brain that was driving the dog insane," Mr Mayne said.

ah thanks Pers. It will teach me to read the article a bit better.

eta thanks GT I will go do some more research. I really hadn't heard much about them but my pei generally will let go. Won't hurt to have a backup option though.

Edited by Ams

A break stick isnt going to be of any help if they cant stop the dog from attacking, its just going to get the mouth off them, but if they cannot restrain it, it will come back again. Has anyone actually seen a dog attacking something and you're the only one there to do anything? Its awful!

Two of my dogs were having a massive scrap, I was at home by myself (small woman) and they had no collars on. Nothing I was doing was going to stop them, and it actually went through my head that I would have to stab, or smack one of them on the head with a Hammer so I didnt end up with TWO dead dogs because there was nothing I could do about 80kgs of dogs intent on killing each other!

Thankfully, I managed to get them apart, but it wasnt without injury to myself, and both dogs... I ended up dislocating one of my dogs shoulders and I had a dislocated finger and bites all up my arms (my fault, they didnt mean to bite me but arms get in the way of mouths!).

I actually feel really quite sorry for the people in this story. Whilst I am sure they could have figured something else out, in the heat of the moment to see your dog attacking your partner, you'd pretty much grab whatever! I would do the same thing if a person was attacking my partner, protect first, think later... its instinct. Horrible for everyone involved, including the dog.

GT that's not what I'm saying at all but I think if there is no other option and a dog is savagely attacking a person, the choice would have to be to save the person.

No not at all Got nuthin, as I said they were obviously unaware of the alternatives available or had no clue to various tools available, especially with a breed which has been traditionally used for fighting in days gone by. And has a shake and hold style in the least.

I actually thought the article was quite balanced but shar pei people have been active in anti bsl as some of the more traditional style pei can fail the PB score system. Peibe was quite active in the anti bsl as she had the foresight to see their " fighting dog" label would put them in the limelight at some stage.

Sad state of affiars.I feel for the guy and its easy to bag him but things pan out differently in real life and peope do what they have to.I wouldnt have stabbed the dog to death but then again I wasnt there.A breaking stick is good for breaking dogs off of other dogs but not so good when it is dog on human especially if the dog is handler aggressive.You are going to get bitten.If the dog had a collar he should have choked it out.They always let go when they cant breathe anymore,If no collar grab lead and loop it around and choke it then holding the lead lift it off the ground and manhandle it outside.

I am sure he wishes it ended differently.Very sad.Let it be a lesson to people about dogs and making choices based on research.Too many peopl obtain a dog because they like the look of a certain breed without knowing much about them.They then proceed to humanise the dog keep it indoors treat it like a child and not read the warning signs.Then one day when the dog has reached maturity and he thinks he is the pack leader and his authority is threatened he assaults the humans and it becomes his fault because owners were too stupid to see what was coming.I am not saying this is what happened here but all too often its the same story.

Edited by bulldogz4eva