Dogs Victoria - Photo Id Now Required For Membership Renewals

wayrod

93 members have voted

1. 1. Should photo ID be a mandatory requirement for Dogs Victoria membership

• Yes
    • No
    • No opinion

can't be bothered cutting and pasting bits and pieces but it should be noted the working with children's check, while it has your mug shot and name on it, does not have your address on it. And it's the one I will be using cause I am not handing over my passport details just to belong to a dog registry.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of curiosity - has Dogs Vic stated what policies and procedures have been put into place in regards to the secure storage of the copies of members identification.

I know I complained to Optus when I discovered their shop fronts were storing customer id's in an arch lever folder on a shelf of their reception counter in full view and within easy access of anyone walking into their shop. identity theft is becoming an all to common occurrence.

I won't be giving Dogs Vic any copies of my identification unless they can guarantee that it will securely destroyed upon receipt or store within a secure filing area (Ie safe).

But how would it work for those who live a long distance from the club? I'm pretty sure the only building here is 2 1/2 hours away from me.

Certified photocopies and mailed in I guess?

I wonder if they would consider holding an ID day at a show run by office staff or someone they appoint etc.

Show your ID and they would mark you as having complied with the new ID requirements?

I will email and ask tomorrow.

And also, as someone else noted, for dogs under duel memberships? One of mine is co-owned by someone in another state and any pups would possibly be co-owned as well.

The flyer I posted above says : other persons in membership to provide documents.

Just out of curiosity - has Dogs Vic stated what policies and procedures have been put into place in regards to the secure storage of the copies of members identification.

I know I complained to Optus when I discovered their shop fronts were storing customer id's in an arch lever folder on a shelf of their reception counter in full view and within easy access of anyone walking into their shop. identity theft is becoming an all to common occurrence.

I won't be giving Dogs Vic any copies of my identification unless they can guarantee that it will securely destroyed upon receipt or store within a secure filing area (Ie safe).

Flyer says:

3ID.jpg

Would be easier just to keep copies of ID on computers, would save a lot of time just typing in a name rather than thumbing through pages of photocopies.

I assume once your ID has been sighted your account will be flagged as ID provided, they would not need to look at the ID copies unless there was a problem/report/error etc.

Just like a video card or library card.

Flyer says:

3ID.jpg

Sway,

That doesnt give me much confidence as Optus were supposed to be following those guidelines as well. This information either needs to be securely destroyed after being sighted (ie shredded with a cross shredder or sent via secure bin to a authorised secure shredding facility) or it needs to be stored in a safe until they are no longer required and then again securely destroyed.

Dogs Vic need to make this information available now and not just say "oh when is starts we will let you know what policies and procedures we have in place." The policies and procedures for this should have already been established PRIOR to the the announcement and implimentation of this new process.

Sorry if I am sounding cynical but working in an international company that is governed by the Sarbanes Oxley Act I am very much aware of what sort of secure protocal should be put into place.

Unfortunately all it takes in the end is one dishonest person. I just want to ensure that Dogs Vic have covered all bases.

That doesnt give me much confidence as Optus were supposed to be following those guidelines as well. This information either needs to be securely destroyed after being sighted (ie shredded with a cross shredder or sent via secure bin to a authorised secure shredding facility) or it needs to be stored in a safe until they are no longer required and then again securely destroyed.

Dogs Vic need to make this information available now and not just say "oh when is starts we will let you know what policies and procedures we have in place." The policies and procedures for this should have already been established PRIOR to the the announcement and implimentation of this new process.

Sorry if I am sounding cynical but working in an international company that is governed by the Sarbanes Oxley Act I am very much aware of what sort of secure protocal should be put into place.

Unfortunately all it takes in the end is one dishonest person. I just want to ensure that Dogs Vic have covered all bases.

But if they are just sighting on join up that really doesn't achieve anything other than stopping repeat offenders joining. What about first time offenders?

What's to stop someone stealing/forging my membership card and using it at the office? If no information and no photos are kept how do they know it's not me? I don't know what the DV cards are like but the Tassie ones are cruddy cardboard cutouts, easy to copy.

The only way I can see it working properly is by having new membership cards issues with photos on them.

Yes it would be an extra cost, but I know I would be willing to pay a small fee for a photo ID.

I still think it's a good idea in theory, but there are quite a few kinks that need ironing out.

Everyone will have to do it new and existing members.

In VIC our membership cards are a plastic type card with your details printed on it.

So far we only know what we have read, I'm sure as time goes on more will be released.

• 3 months later...

Flyer says:

3ID.jpg

Not sure what difference (legally/security speaking) it makes, but the flyer I go only says "Documents provided will be retained as per PrivacyLaws requirements". It doesn't have the first part of that quote you've put up, Sway.

I have nothing to hide. I don't breed and I'm not registered as a breeder - not sure why the Photo ID requirement applies to "Ordinary Membership" if the only reason for the photo ID was to stop "disreputable breeders ... from joining DOGS VICTORIA".

I don't know nor understand the obligation on Dogs Victoria to retain my information with the degree of confidentiality that I would like. My understanding is that there has been a certain other (welfare) organisation who forcefully procured membership information from VicDogs at one stage some good while ago. I don't have evidence of this occurrence, but I believe the murmurs that were made that informed me of this. I also have read where at one stage private info was stolen by an employee of that certain (welfare) organisation. (I don't mean the Vic Dogs info.) So yes .... this sort of stuff makes me nervous - it's too easy for people to rip off your ID these days.

I see Dogs Victoria want a copy of my Aussie Drivers' Licence (the other alternatives on the list aren't relevant to me) as well as proof of my current address. I wonder if they'll be satisfied with me popping down there with the originals of these documents for them to sight (only). Does anyone know?

Edited by Erny

Thanks Sway. Why would they want to actually keep a copy of the drivers' licence, do you know? Isn't it good enough for them to just check off as being sighted?

I actually think they should have "sighting booths" at shows, show your ID and be marked off.

You go to the AGM and you show your ID card, I say attend a "sighting booth" show your membership card and ID and your marked off without having to keep a copy on file.

I contacted Dogs Victoria, querying about why an "Ordinary" Member (ie non-breeder) would need to provide the ID they are requesting, when their "Important Notice - Photo ID" only goes so far as to say that it is to stop "disreputable breeders ... from joining DOGS VICTORIA".

This is the reply I got from them :

Further to our phone call with regard to your request for an explanation as to why you need to provide Photo ID when you are not a breeder. This regulation is not directed for breeder purposes only. Please note hereunder explanation of Photo ID regulation.

DOGS Victoria enjoys the status with the State government of being an approved accredited organization something that provides all our members with special benefits far beyond just receiving discounted council registration fees. Such status requires us to keep our house in order . So the decision which was not taken lightly by Management Committee was to not make things hard for our members just the opposite but to protect our members who do the right thing and ensure that people do not join in an effort to avoid compliance with the recent changes to the Domestic Animal Regulations. It will not be an annual annoyance, once you have provided the information to the office your membership will be flagged on the computer and you will not be required to produce the documentation again. So indeed it will be a small cost to pay for protecting our association and especially our members. A vast majority of our members already provide Photo ID. We are rigorous about protecting members privacy and all identifiable documentation is kept securely or shredded when not required any more.

We hope this explanation is satisfactory.

Note that the highlighting is mine, and not Dogs Victoria.

I could go back to them to ask directly, but in case it was just that I couldn't see the forest for the trees, I thought I check here first to see if this constitutes as an answer for anyone else. For example (only) ...... how would giving them a copy of my Drivers Licence :

(a) protect Dogs Victoria members; and

(b) ensure that people do not join in an effort to avoid compliance with the recent changes to the Domestic Animal Regulations.

???

I'm just not 'getting' it yet :o.

Edited by Erny

I still don't know what I'm going to do about the joint membership I have with my teenage daughter. She uses my name for all the dog stuff and is a Dogs Vic member using my last name as that's what she prefers to be known as for dog events etc. But the only photo ID I have for her is a passport which is in her legal name, not her preferred name.

It's easy to join DogsVIc with a made up name and a new po box, it's not as easy to copy someone's licence to join up.

I don't see the big deal, but I can see how others would.

You're quite possibly/likely right, Sway. But Vic Dogs could make it a bit easier to be assuaged for the reason behind the requirement by giving a response that was a bit easier to see the reasoning. I'm talking about a non-breeder with an Ordinary Membership.

I need a 'for instance' to be able to understand how giving a Driver's Licence is going to stop non-breeders from avoiding the rules of the DAR. Before I go back to Vic Dogs to ask, maybe the answer is obvious. Maybe I'm just not devious enough to be able to imagine using trickery well enough to get away with doing the wrong thing :shrug:. Can anyone suggest an example?

You would have to submit all information in her legal name, and not what she wants to be known as.

Is it even legal to join/register/sign up to anything with a name that is not your legal name?

Yes, you can have a legal name and never use it. You can also have a preferred name, or a "known as" name. You can enrol your kids in school under their preferred name, even if it's not their legal name. Lots of people don't use their legal name.

Memberships to affiliations such as Dogs Victoria aren't generally accepted as proof of ID for anything, so you can join up as whatever you want to call yourself.

In the case of my daughter, I can provide my marriage cert to prove that my last name was once the same as her legal last name and that my current name and the name that's her preferred name is one and the same. I don't see why they'd have a problem with a child using the same last name as her parent.

Edited by Gayle.