Aussie Made Dogs

Ons

Its an Australian Kelpie ;)

lol - i actually wondered if I should have typed "Australian" in front of them or if they are known just as kelpies. Now I know :) another awesome dog - hey they were developed from coolie stock so of course they are :)

jrts - are definitely english. Every second english household seems to have one - I think from memory that my aunt's sister had some of the first ones in the 1970s, they were pretty rare back then anyway. I could be wrong though. They seem to have gained popularity very quickly.

Its OK I was told at an OB club that I joined recently that 'no one' used Australian, and that the breed name was just the Kelpie.

I asked them politely to include the "Aust." on my membership card :D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

good for you :D I know some people spell coolie with a c and others with a k - i think the k started to differentiate them from collies. However the person who introduced me to this wonderful breed spells it with a c so I do :)

Its an Australian Kelpie ;)

lol - i actually wondered if I should have typed "Australian" in front of them or if they are known just as kelpies. Now I know :) another awesome dog - hey they were developed from coolie stock so of course they are :)

jrts - are definitely english. Every second english household seems to have one - I think from memory that my aunt's sister had some of the first ones in the 1970s, they were pretty rare back then anyway. I could be wrong though. They seem to have gained popularity very quickly.

Its OK I was told at an OB club that I joined recently that 'no one' used Australian, and that the breed name was just the Kelpie.

And the vet put on my card 'Kelpie x'!

what breeds of dogs have been made and developed in Australia. I can think of a few but I'm sure that I'm missing lots.

coolie - my heart dog

australian terrier

australian silky terrier

kelpie

australian cattle dog

tenterfield terriers

I'm not sure about the Australian Shepherd, was the breed recognised in Australia and then developed in America?

can anyone add any more to this list :)

a dog that is in development is the aussie bulldog, australia's answer to the british bulldog. i think they are 10 years into getting them recognised by the ANKC. they are completely opposite to the BB, one of my friends has 2 and they are beautiful dogs. i am hoping they get recognised as a breed as there is 2 clubs working towards this now.

yep I know someone who owns one - I'm sure they are changing the name to Austrlasian Bosdog. Or something like that.

what about a Dingo...do they count? I know they haven't actually been developed in Australia...but I suppose you can say they are native to Australia. :)

whooops - I had them in my head, forgot to put them down :o:o:o

The Australian Shepherd was unknown here until the early 1990's.

Wasn't the standard for the Border Collie developed here? I know they originated in the UK, but something about them was developed here.

I remember something about the Border Collie people having to decided whether the breed was Aussie or Scottish? So you might be correct.

The first border collie standard was written in NZ and they may also have had the first shows featuring them as well. ANKC takes the credit for "developing" the BC but it is debatable.

And the vet put on my card 'Kelpie x'!

why? they are a recognised breed unless your dog is a kelpie x?

The vet automatically puts coolie x on vet cards :(

the Vet may be used to seeing a different type of Kelpie, not the beautiful pedigree ones!

The Australian Shepherd was unknown here until the early 1990's.

Wasn't the standard for the Border Collie developed here? I know they originated in the UK, but something about them was developed here.

I remember something about the Border Collie people having to decided whether the breed was Aussie or Scottish? So you might be correct.

The first border collie standard was written in NZ and they may also have had the first shows featuring them as well. ANKC takes the credit for "developing" the BC but it is debatable.

Hahaha, so typical. Aussies like to take the credit for NZ accomplishments, unless it's Russell Crowe then we're happy to give him right back.

The Border Collie originated in the "border" countries between Scotland and England. Australia IS commonly known as the country of "development" of the modern day Border Collie. However, they DID NOT originate here.

Thought I'd also add, the very best one ever bred is laying on my bed right nowlaugh.gifbiggrin.gif The other best one ever bred was his dearly departed mother thumbsup1.gif

I am not biased in any way

Edited by benshiva

what breeds of dogs have been made and developed in Australia. I can think of a few but I'm sure that I'm missing lots.

coolie - my heart dog

australian terrier

australian silky terrier

kelpie

australian cattle dog

tenterfield terriers

I'm not sure about the Australian Shepherd, was the breed recognised in Australia and then developed in America?

can anyone add any more to this list :)

a dog that is in development is the aussie bulldog, australia's answer to the british bulldog. i think they are 10 years into getting them recognised by the ANKC. they are completely opposite to the BB, one of my friends has 2 and they are beautiful dogs. i am hoping they get recognised as a breed as there is 2 clubs working towards this now.

I suppose you believe in Father Xmas as well. I have no respect for anyone that lies to registed breeders in order to obtain a pup purely for the purpose of crossing it to another breed and "supposedly" creating something better. Put the shoe on the other foot - how would you feel if someone took a breed that you bred and used it to produce crosses and yes the aussie people are still using pure British to cross with.

They are not Australia's answer to the British Bulldog and they are not healthy or better suited to our climate than a well bred British,do your homework before making such outlandish statements.

The Border Collie originated in the "border" countries between Scotland and England. Australia IS commonly known as the country of "development" of the modern day Border Collie. However, they DID NOT originate here.

From the other side of the looking glass.

The border collie was already highly 'developed' as one of the worlds best sheepdogs in the UK long before some show folks in Australian and NZ decided to take it into the show ring in the 1950's. There was not a lack of show standard in ISDS because the working people were too stupid to write one, there was no show standard because the breed was not being bred to be a show dog. The standard for the border collie can only be assessed on the paddock and this remains true today.

The first stud book for purebred border collies was and still is ISDS and it began in 1906. The breed was already well 'developed' by this time and this same dog is still found all over the world. Far more of these original purpose bred dogs exist today then the show dog type and these dogs are still registered in the working stud books without any show standard and kept separate from the show lines. This was with intention and remains this way today and I do not see any chance that this will change. The folks who own this original breed are passionate it will remain a working dog.

Border collies bred to the traditional purpose are also by far the most numerous of the border collie types, far out numbering the the show bred dogs. For example, in the US 22,000 border collies are registered in the stud book for border collies each year vs. about 3000 in the kennel club. Of interest, every one of those 22,000 dogs in the border collie studbook can be registered into the kennel club, as the KC had to leave their stud book open to try to increase the numbers registered, yet there is no exoduses form the border collie stud book into the kennel club.

I do agree that Australia and NZ did create the show border collie type in the 1950's ish when they took their dogs into the kennel club and they deserve full credit for this, but that is not developing the border collie. A breed does not need to be a show dog or bred to a show standard to be a fully developed breed. BTW same would apply the JRT. Dog breeds can and are fully developed based on function and are by design not in the kennel club and use their own registry instead. We are going to see a lot more use of these older concepts on what defines a breed in the near future I believe, especially in the kennel clubs where it is not the norm.

By far, the majority people with border collies today feel the breed has totally spilt, with the majority being the original border collie still being bred to the original ideals and being kept separate in their own stud books. While the show border collie has joined in the show kennel clubs and those ideals. Many feel the show dog could or maybe even should be called the Australian border collie, which would make the split official (Border Collie and Australian Border collie). The the Australian Border Collie folks could then rightly say with pride that Australia (or/and Nz, as I am staying out of that one LOL) developed the Australian border collie.

Now back to your normal programing. LOL

Edited by shortstep

As far as I know only the Australian standard says the border collie was developed ion Australia. I am fairly certain that it is not in the Uk standard and that is the standard used by the FCI as the offical country standard. The US also only sees the Uk as the country the border collies comes from. What other countries say that OZ is the country of developement, maybe Japan??

Edited by shortstep

Shortstep, thanks for your explanation, it's really interesting. I suppose the same could be said of Kelpies, and to a degree....Australian Shepherds. The working line Aussies are distinctly different to the show ones....smaller, lighter, finer boned, shorter coats and with some amazing colours and markings.