Rally-o

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A group of us met up for a Rally O training session today - given that our first official trial is in 2 and a half weeks :eek: . So, we discovered that we and the dogs had gone a bit rusty over the Christmas break - maybe it's time to get our training going again. :D Agility girl Kirra wasn't too bad - though the round-the- back LAT is a bit tricky for her, and we need quite a bit of work on straight sits (especially for the Halt, 1step halt, 2 steps halt, 3 steps halt.

Still, it was nice to get back into it with a real goal ahead - and get a good idea of what in particular needs work.

Was just looking at the running order for the trial on 7 Jan and there are quite a few familiar names in there :) What a great entry they have!

Haven't had much time for training at all (been on holidays with dogs staying elsewhere) but I'm really looking forward to it.

Well I managed to stuff up my own plans by getting glandular fever and haven't trained in 6 weeks now. My pup, who was doing better than my older girl is now enjoying giving me the finger when I ask her to sit. I still dont have a lot of energy for training so this may get interesting :D

7 Days to try and fix her lol. Oh well she will be cute I guess even if she is a little imp......

Well I managed to stuff up my own plans by getting glandular fever and haven't trained in 6 weeks now. My pup, who was doing better than my older girl is now enjoying giving me the finger when I ask her to sit. I still dont have a lot of energy for training so this may get interesting :D

7 Days to try and fix her lol. Oh well she will be cute I guess even if she is a little imp......

:laugh: Always the way. I have broken things many times before obedience trials and they all seem to come good in the ring so good luck.

EEEEEP- just finished organising the convoy for tomorrow!!!

Did some training with Franky today and I am happy to report she is now sitting in Heel again- except I broke her beautiful Fronts in the process :rofl:. Oh well I will have it on video to laugh at- I am going in with a positive mindset and an aim of having fun. Abby has been rather neglected, just been building up general fitness after having her desexed (6 weeks ago).

Good luck everyone- I will have two naughty Kelpies, and my friend has a Border Collie if you want to say hi!!

• 2 weeks later...

This may sound like a really dumb question, so be kind to me :laugh: Rally O has to be done with a lead & flat collar...right ?? What if I were to loop that lead under my dogs front & back up to shorten the lead & it becomes a bit of a handle (like a service dog). Both my dogs are like putty on my little finger with this method & they really love being led that way sticking right by my side, tails wagging & absolutely no pressure on their chest at all. The lead just loosely dangles there. I am still just using a lead & flat collar, so I wonder what the rules would be in Rally O. Are there any rules which specifically say HOW the dog must be restrained apart from a flat collar & lead (for novice). All those posters that are going to hop on here & tell me I am just dumb, please don't bother replying, as I already know that. :laugh: I am after some constructive thought on the subject.

Presumably that would count as guiding the dog/extra signals.

The Rally rules state this: "Any faults in traditional Obedience that would be evaluated and scored as a one point deduction or more should be scored the same in Rally, unless otherwise mentioned in the “Rally Rules”."

In other news, we gained our second Rally Novice pass on Thursday with 92/100. There is another trial on Tuesday so crossing fingers that we may be able to finish off our title then.

This may sound like a really dumb question, so be kind to me :laugh: Rally O has to be done with a lead & flat collar...right ?? What if I were to loop that lead under my dogs front & back up to shorten the lead & it becomes a bit of a handle (like a service dog). Both my dogs are like putty on my little finger with this method & they really love being led that way sticking right by my side, tails wagging & absolutely no pressure on their chest at all. The lead just loosely dangles there. I am still just using a lead & flat collar, so I wonder what the rules would be in Rally O. Are there any rules which specifically say HOW the dog must be restrained apart from a flat collar & lead (for novice). All those posters that are going to hop on here & tell me I am just dumb, please don't bother replying, as I already know that. :laugh: I am after some constructive thought on the subject.

What Wuffles said.

Besides if your dogs have been trained properly in heelwork you shouldn't need a leash or collar anyway :confused:

Thanks Wuffles...I thought there would have to be something in the rules. At the workshop I went to a while back she just said that tight leads lost points but that we could talk & touch the dog without loss of points. Yes, I guess it could be construed as "guiding" even though there is no pressure on the dogs neck...it's a bit like guiding a horse by leaning the reins against it's neck.

Regardless, it is a very interesting way of walking your dog but doesn't take the place of proper training, of course. I have never really got into "Formal" obedience, but would like to give Rally O a go if ever it gets going up my way. :thumbsup:

ETA...thanks Huski. I agree with you re the training & my guy is really going great with that, but he is only 10 months old (BC) & still a work in progress....gets excited sometimes. It is just a very gentle way of walking your dog & like I said, my two BC's respond very well to it.

Edited by sheena

LOL Sheena - I used to call that "the magic weapon" with my first BC. But yes, pretty sure it would not be acceptable in the Rally O or Obedience ring.

:thumbsup: wuffles. We have 2 passes as well - but our next trial isn't till April :( so you guys will be well titled ahead of us.