Curious

W Sibs

cost of owning a canine

This has sparked a curious question from me :) Also a conversation I had with my neighbour, who ate bake beans and bread for a week before she used her food money to pay her dog's vet bill.

A lot of people I know, often say or tell me they rather be poor to give their dog the best life. Really? Do you think you're giving your dog the best life living that way?

Dogs are great for company. What they give to a human is nowhere what we give them... (Charlie saved my life and Emmy.. oh Em, she is the best medicine any doc can prescribe to me)

Dogs aren't cheap though. Everything cost things. Vet bills, food, grooming, worming tablets, training etc.

Is it being fair for you to live that way? It's all admirable that person love and care for that dog that much, but sometimes you have to put yourself before your dog, right?

Wouldn't you want to be in a stable position yourself before taking on a responsible on getting a dog?

This is genuinely curious question. I'm sooo sorry if anyone feels insulted with this thread. I know it can be a sensitive subject to a few people.

When I split with my ex I had to buy somewhere quick as I had the dogs and neededsomewhere to live. I bought a little run down unit and moved in. It was a real struggle for the first 2 months. Stuff kept breaking down in the new house and my cocker was very sick. For those first 2 months I never took lunch to work because I had no money for food. I ate chocolate all day because that's the business I'm in,packing chocolate. Most nights I would go to family member or friend for dinner because I couldn't afford to buy anything to make dinner for myself. All I would buy each week is fresh bread, butter, milk and whatever fruit was on special.

My dogs received the medical treatment they needed and where fed. I chose to have dogs and I also chose to go without while I was on hard times so that my dogs didn't. Luckily for me things picked up and we're all ok now. However I would do it again in a heart beat.

Circumstances change, you may have the best intentions to start with, but things do happen.

My OH and I budgeted everything before we bought our first house, first dog, but we know that if something happens, well it happens and we will work around that. We know the cost of keeping two dogs, but there are things that sometimes are just beyond your control, and you just have to make a decision on what works for you. I would sacrifice if it meant I could keep my dogs.

:) I'm glad claireybell that things worked out for you.

Thanks CW. Amazing what 24 months can do. I've gone from being miserable, sad and very unhappy to being happily married with a baby on the way! It just took 5 years of crap to get here but it was well worth it. And my dogs are much happier now then they have ever been. They adore their new Daddy!!!!!

I think everyone goes through tough times, especially when an unaccpeted dog bill comes in, and it may mean going without for your dog. However you would hope this was only for a short time - like your neighbour for 1 week. If things were like this most of the time I don't think this is fair on the owner.

Because I have several large dogs I take the time to shop around to find the best prices I can for products and feed them a basic diet. If I fed them premium dog food, brought my worming etc. from the vet, and brought expensive treats I think I might be living on bread and beans :rofl:

Edited by buddy1

It's very much a personal decision, I think it's great that people discuss this topic, as it can make people aware of the responsability that comes with dog ownership.

No one has crystal ball, and in a perfect situation we would never have to part with our pets, but life is simply not like that. Sometimes we have to give up animals we thought we would never part with.

Sometimes that decsion is very selfless, it depends, if I only had $10.00 in my wallet 2 dogs and 2 kids I know which ones i would feed first.

It is not always about money either, illness divorce death all these life changes canhave an impact on our animal families.

If someone is forced to make a decision to part with an animal to give it a better life, then I do not think it is in any way fair to judge that person or their decision. just MO

Absolutely... no judging here. Parting from a beloved animal is heart breaking (I've been through it.. bad break up). I know life can get hard and situation changes. And, how people deal with it is a very personal thing.

I moved from a house with a yard to an apartment. As much as I wanted a dog, I couldn't get one till I was really ready for one. It won't be fair for the dog, but I felt like I wouldn't be able to give it a stable home. I can still provide for a pup, but I wouldn't be able to give it a stability.

I'm with you guys, I will go without to make sure that my 2 are well looked after.

But, I am curious to hear what people thought on it too. Just because there are lots of dogs in pounds because their owners can no longer look after them (financially), or because they get sick for not looking after themselves that they can no longer look after their pets. It's sad and sucky all around.

It's very much a personal decision, I think it's great that people discuss this topic, as it can make people aware of the responsability that comes with dog ownership.

No one has crystal ball, and in a perfect situation we would never have to part with our pets, but life is simply not like that. Sometimes we have to give up animals we thought we would never part with.

Sometimes that decsion is very selfless, it depends, if I only had $10.00 in my wallet 2 dogs and 2 kids I know which ones i would feed first.

It is not always about money either, illness divorce death all these life changes canhave an impact on our animal families.

If someone is forced to make a decision to part with an animal to give it a better life, then I do not think it is in any way fair to judge that person or their decision. just MO

I completely agree.

I think that everyone has a limit to how far they can stretch.

What differs is how far they are PREPARED to stretch and what decisions they are able/willing to make when they reach their limit.

I know that 2 of my 3 dogs would most likely be able to go back to their breeders, but the third would be looking for a home. For the next couple of years I think she'd find one pretty easily, but after her agility days are over who knows - she might also end up in a pound :cry: if it came to a choice between my wife or my dogs. That is my limit. Finances aren't really relevant, for me its what the decisions I make do to my relationships with the people around me.

I would go hungry before I make my dogs go hungry. They get veterinary care much more often than I receive medical care. They had pet insurance long before I had medical insurance. They get fed supplements when I don't care enough about myself to do the same for me!

I have an acquaintance on facebook whose dog is facing surgery. She messaged me for advice because she says she simply can't afford to pay for it and for reasons she can't go into, cannot loan the money. She said she may have to euthanize him instead.

Couple of weeks later, facebook status update is about her upgrading to the newest android phone and getting her first tablet PC :rolleyes: So I added a comment in that status asking how her dog is. In circumstances like these, yes I truly believe the dog should come before the person!!!! While her dog is in pain and faces death, she is getting herself new phones and computers when she's allegedly broke. I don't approve at all icon_smile_mad.gif

I actually got one of my rescue dogs because her previous family ran into money trouble.

I certainly don't think that the choice they made to give her to rescue for that reason was in anyway wrong.

I have an acquaintance on facebook whose dog is facing surgery. She messaged me for advice because she says she simply can't afford to pay for it and for reasons she can't go into, cannot loan the money. She said she may have to euthanize him instead.

Couple of weeks later, facebook status update is about her upgrading to the newest android phone and getting her first tablet PC :rolleyes: So I added a comment in that status asking how her dog is. In circumstances like these, yes I truly believe the dog should come before the person!!!! While her dog is in pain and faces death, she is getting herself new phones and computers when she's allegedly broke. I don't approve at all icon_smile_mad.gif

yes that doesn't sit well at all :(

I would go hungry before I make my dogs go hungry. They get veterinary care much more often than I receive medical care. They had pet insurance long before I had medical insurance. They get fed supplements when I don't care enough about myself to do the same for me!

My god! The dog's welfare should come before a new phone!

I felt sorry for her until I read about her new purchases. Makes me SICK!!!! Poor dog :(

That's the kind of thing I have real issues with also - people's (in my opinion) revolting priorities. People also have different considerations of what 'hard times' are. The amount of people who complain about their salary, and have no idea how I survive on working 3 days while I study full time.. it's all about prioritising what I really want, and budgeting accordingly.

I do also agree with those who have said that we can never foresee how we would act and what we would do in certain situations. When everything's going well, it's easy to make statements about what you'd never do, but until you're there, and really faced with that choice, you never know. I can't imagine the circumstances under which I would part with my dog, and it's not something I ever consider doing. But I can't see into the future, and if disaster struck, in some unforeseeable form, perhaps there would be someone out there who could do better by her than I could.

Unfortunately things can change and quickly I would alway make sure my dog and horses have food and care they have their own saving for emergencies I also have a good vet that has a payment plan for if you need it!! Also insurance never know when it might come in handy!! I think having pets like having kids if you lost your job or something happens you actually have motivation to go and get work to help pay for every thing and keep food on the table. I always have made sure I have ($3000+) put aside for if disaster strikes I have my credit for emergencies only I never use it :) and I do know what it's like to have to live tough so I think it has made me better prepared for if it ever happens again

That is so wrong on so many level.

Unfortunately things can change and quickly I would alway make sure my dog and horses have food and care they have their own saving for emergencies I also have a good vet that has a payment plan for if you need it!! Also insurance never know when it might come in handy!! I think having pets like having kids if you lost your job or something happens you actually have motivation to go and get work to help pay for every thing and keep food on the table. I always have made sure I have ($3000+) put aside for if disaster strikes I have my credit for emergencies only I never use it :) and I do know what it's like to have to live tough so I think it has made me better prepared for if it ever happens again

That's a really good plan!!