What Height Fence For A Whippet?

We've bought a house and are moving in soon, but need to re- fence a section along the back yard. (We've budgetted for this to happen immediately) The back yard has a creek just behind, and at the moment, there is a 1.2m high "pool" fence, which doesn't inspire me with confidence. I have images of my Whippets donning superdog capes and having a go at flying over. We want to keep the view open for our own benefit, but are heatedly debating what height fence we need to put up. Both dogs are Whippets, fit, healty and reasonably young. The dogs have had colourbond and timber fences in previous houses, without any problems. Both can jump easily onto tables around 1m high, both can climb onto the kitchen bench when motivated, and can spring up vertically to snap at birds overhead when they're in the yard.

Any thoughts on fence heights? I've never had a fence that the dogs can look through, and as they're Sighthounds, I'm a bit apprehensive. Is it more of a problem containing dogs when they can see through the fences?

edited for spelling

Edited by Whippetsmum

We've bought a house and are moving in soon, but need to re- fence a section along the back yard. (We've budgetted for this to happen immediately) The back yard has a creek just behind, and at the moment, there is a 1.2m high "pool" fence, which doesn't inspire me with confidence. I have images of my Whippets donning superdog capes and having a go at flying over. We want to keep the view open for our own benefit, but are heatedly debating what height fence we need to put up. Both dogs are Whippets, fit, healty and reasonably young. The dogs have had colourbond and timber fences in previous houses, without any problems. Both can jump easily onto tables around 1m high, both can climb onto the kitchen bench when motivated, and can spring up vertically to snap at birds overhead when they're in the yard.

Any thoughts on fence heights? I've never had a fence that the dogs can look through, and as they're Sighthounds, I'm a bit apprehensive. Is it more of a problem containing dogs when they can see through the fences?

edited for spelling

All of my yards are 6 foot high chain mesh. Plenty high enough they shouldn't want to get out and you can still see your view :)

Hope this helps!

Minimum of 5 foot I would have said and as to the type it really depends on where the fence is. If it is anywhere people can see in I would be want it solid to protect your dogs from strangers and roaming dogs. I have deer fencing here and it is great as I am well off the road and no close neighbours but I wouldn't dream about that in town.

Hello...regarding the fence height, I have pointers with solid timber 6 ft fencing all around apart from one section which is 6 ft chain mesh and the other day I caught the youngest bouncing right up to the top of the fence with serious intentions of trying to get over it to get to the 3 peacocks that had just walked down our driveway :eek: soooo, if I were you I'd go 6 ft not 5ft. We now also have a hot wire across the top of the mesh section. Good luck with your move. :)

Mine have been held easily behind 3 foot fences, however if they were being left in the yard without me being close by then I would go 6 foot to be safe. My dog yard could possibly be close to 7 foot which is possibly overkill, but we were recycling and they was the height of the fence. IT also has snake mesh along the bottom that is buried into a trench of blue metal.

A friend called past the other day and she has the climbing Whippet from hell. She said hers would probably climb my fence unless it was a little wobbly towards the top, then she would probably stop. But if it is firm she would go straight over.