Chinese Crested

Im currently looking after my mums 9 year old female chinese crested, MIYA. She is tiny for the breed, and I believe that why the breeder was originally selling her.

She has always had minor skin irritation and over the years the vet and my mum have tried alot to stop the licking and scratching.

At the moment she is on cortisone tablets (i think) 1/4 a day. And every night I rub emu oil on any dry areas and put her pjs on or a jacket so she cant lick or scratch.

Was wondering if there was anything else that people have heard of working? Either to sooth any scratching OR to stop the irritation that makes her scratch.

Coconut oil is always recommended on the big USA crestie forum, they smell nice afterwards and it's good for them when they lick it of :D

It comes in a solid form and melts as you apply it, I usually get the organic stuff from health stores so I know there are no nasties in it.

What is she being fed? as diet has a big impact on their skin condition.

Im currently looking after my mums 9 year old female chinese crested, MIYA. She is tiny for the breed, and I believe that why the breeder was originally selling her.

She has always had minor skin irritation and over the years the vet and my mum have tried alot to stop the licking and scratching.

At the moment she is on cortisone tablets (i think) 1/4 a day. And every night I rub emu oil on any dry areas and put her pjs on or a jacket so she cant lick or scratch.

Was wondering if there was anything else that people have heard of working? Either to sooth any scratching OR to stop the irritation that makes her scratch.

To stop the irritation you need to find what causes it, she obviously reacts to something that she inhales, eats or comes in contact with.

To stop the irritation you need to find what causes it, she obviously reacts to something that she inhales, eats or comes in contact with.

I agree, but unfortunately for Miya its been 6 years of trying to find out what irritates her skin. They have tried everything, generic dog food, natural food, home made food, different washing powders my mum uses to wash bedding clothing, etc etc. If my mum & the vet could do anymore test to work out what causes the problem she would.

Could it also be habit on Miyas behalf??

Unfortunately she is EXTREMELY fussy with her food and she will only eat My Dog wet food and cheese, we dont give her the cheese but we are aware she loves it. Im sure the food is not the best that she can be eating but like I said even when she was younger and did eat other foods the rashes and scratching would still occur.

Mum has tried the paw paw, not sure about the coconut oil so willing to give it a try. :)

I would recommend the coconut oil too, it is also a natural healing agent & is great for clearing up blackheads & pimples, also good for wounds & scarring, I use the stuff on myself, only the organic stuff though. My mum gets its in bulk from an australian source.. its great stuff & it soaks in very quickly & does not leave an oily residue..

Some Chinese Crested's are allergic to wool, so remove anything that has wool associated with it and substitute for everything cotton. :)

ps

check that the carpets are not made of wool too, yes I know pita, but it may be causing your problems.

allergy testing, otherwise it's just a hit and miss guessing game

This has been done.

What were the results of the tests?

I'm not sure as my mum got them done, I remember her saying that it was a waste of time because it wasnt able to outline the problem.