Update About Auntie And Her Dog

I don't mean to offend M2S but from your original post I honestly thought you were about 16.

Show this little dog some compassion and some humanity. He doesn't have a choice who he belongs to, but you have a choice as to how you treat him. It is not his fault he has not been trained and is not walked, but you can make a difference. If you truly love dogs, you will treat him with respect. Spend time with him, let him hang out with you, take him for a walk when you take yours. Buy a bottle of no-rinse shampoo and run it through his coat. Do some training with him to tire his mind, then at night, when he is clean and exhausted and indoors, he will start to sleep and be happy.

You have the power to make it happen, and you might even end up loving him. It is time to grow up.

Well i was about to respond until i saw this post by White Shepherd mom... i completely agree and couldn't have said it better :thumbsup:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking around for a place of my own, I know my auntie won't change. Like I said if I go to train Lady my auntie kicks up a fuss. She already thinks I hit Shelley and thats the reason why she listens to me, Which is Not true I have not laid a hand on Shelley well expect to pat and cuddle her. When it comes to feeding the dogs I always feed the dog who was here first so I feed Buddy first, then Shelley,then Rascal and Then Lady. My auntie also fusses about that and said lady should be feed first. Lady has major domminance isscues, due to my auntie.

Right now my auntie is out of town and has taken Lady with her. Rascal has been sleeping in my room. Rascal is inside right now in front of the heater. Also our chooks can now have free range of the whole yard again, They couldn't before cause Lady would kill them. I feel sorry for Lady, She could be a great dog if she had the right owner. I have enough on my plate and do not need another animal on my head.

you are correct there.

I would bath it but this dog doesn't like to be bathed and she will snap at you if you do something she doesn't like. This is the main reason why my auntie won't tell the dog no etc, Cause if she does the dog turns growls and snaps at her. I do pick up after my dogs each and everyday. Can't be with them 24/7 following them with the pooper scooper. I can't Train this dog myself as she won't listen to me. I know the dog could be real great with the right owner, My auntie isn't the right owner for this dog. Actually she shouldn't own a dog. You should see what Lady does to my auntie when she wants to be feed and my auntie doesn't feed her right then and there, She grabs my auntie by the arm gently,paws at her leaving scratch marks on her skin,growls and then jumps on her. I know this isn't the dogs fault its my aunties. I do have a question tho why is it up to me to take on this dog eg train it,bath it etc? specially since its not my dog and non of us wanted it here. Yes I love dogs and do not like seeing them treated this way, But the way I see it if I take the responabilty for it it will just teach my auntie to pam it off to someone else.The way I see it if you want the animal you take responabilty for it, If you can't do that then you shouldn't own one.

Short coated dogs are very easy to bath and groom. Yes as a dog lover it is your responsibility to care for the dog if the owner (who is a family member or housemate) is neglecting it. My parents have an older Maltese cross that they got when I was younger (it was mainly my dog when I lived at home) however when I moved out they refused to let me take her. My siblings don't really like her - she has bad flea allergies and tends to bite her back till it is raw (ewww). However she is a lovely dog. I used to nag my parents to get her groomed as they didn't and she was dirty/matted etc. I ended up organizing for my dog to get groomed and would book my parents dog in as well. When I moved further away (i.e. wasn't close enough to take the dog to the groomer myself) I noticed that they weren't taking her to get groomed again, I also started grooming my dog myself with clippers I bought. So I have offered to my parents that all they need to do is bring the dog over and I will bathe and groom her myself. This seems to work well for us now - my parents are happy, the dog is clean and happy and I am happy as I don't have to nag as much. I've also made them put the dogs on diets, feed supplements take them to the vet etc. They aren't "bad" owners all the time but they do drop the ball with grooming.

Certainly she isn't my dog but as a dog associated with my family it is my responsibility to ensure she is looked after if my parents/relations aren't doing so properly and I don't even live with my parents.

Sometimes as adults we have to take more responsibility than is "fair" so that innocents aren't hurt. I'm only 24 by the way.

From what I can gather the dog is neither being mistreated nor neglected - it just has poor manners, is spoilt and smells.

I also disagree that the OP should have to take on responsibility for a dog that isn't hers.

MumtoShelley, given that it's not your house and you obviously have little say in the situation you've got 3 options:

1. Do nothing and put up with it.

2. Be a little more pro-active. Communicate with your Aunt and parents, set some clear boundaries and/or deal with the dog yourself.

3. Move out.

Personally I'd go with no. 3.;)

In answer to your original question:

I do have some questions

Rascal is now searching and looking for my auntie and her dog lady, How long will it take for him to get use to them not being here?

Routine, rules, exercise, good leadership, don't pander to him and get on with it. He will get over it soon enough.

you are correct there.

I would bath it but this dog doesn't like to be bathed and she will snap at you if you do something she doesn't like. This is the main reason why my auntie won't tell the dog no etc, Cause if she does the dog turns growls and snaps at her. I do pick up after my dogs each and everyday. Can't be with them 24/7 following them with the pooper scooper. I can't Train this dog myself as she won't listen to me. I know the dog could be real great with the right owner, My auntie isn't the right owner for this dog. Actually she shouldn't own a dog. You should see what Lady does to my auntie when she wants to be feed and my auntie doesn't feed her right then and there, She grabs my auntie by the arm gently,paws at her leaving scratch marks on her skin,growls and then jumps on her. I know this isn't the dogs fault its my aunties. I do have a question tho why is it up to me to take on this dog eg train it,bath it etc? specially since its not my dog and non of us wanted it here. Yes I love dogs and do not like seeing them treated this way, But the way I see it if I take the responabilty for it it will just teach my auntie to pam it off to someone else.The way I see it if you want the animal you take responabilty for it, If you can't do that then you shouldn't own one.

Short coated dogs are very easy to bath and groom. Yes as a dog lover it is your responsibility to care for the dog if the owner (who is a family member or housemate) is neglecting it. My parents have an older Maltese cross that they got when I was younger (it was mainly my dog when I lived at home) however when I moved out they refused to let me take her. My siblings don't really like her - she has bad flea allergies and tends to bite her back till it is raw (ewww). However she is a lovely dog. I used to nag my parents to get her groomed as they didn't and she was dirty/matted etc. I ended up organizing for my dog to get groomed and would book my parents dog in as well. When I moved further away (i.e. wasn't close enough to take the dog to the groomer myself) I noticed that they weren't taking her to get groomed again, I also started grooming my dog myself with clippers I bought. So I have offered to my parents that all they need to do is bring the dog over and I will bathe and groom her myself. This seems to work well for us now - my parents are happy, the dog is clean and happy and I am happy as I don't have to nag as much. I've also made them put the dogs on diets, feed supplements take them to the vet etc. They aren't "bad" owners all the time but they do drop the ball with grooming.

Certainly she isn't my dog but as a dog associated with my family it is my responsibility to ensure she is looked after if my parents/relations aren't doing so properly and I don't even live with my parents.

Sometimes as adults we have to take more responsibility than is "fair" so that innocents aren't hurt. I'm only 24 by the way.

you sound like a very responsible person :thumbsup: good to hear.