Large Dog Misconceptions

ridgiemum

I was so proud of my dog Holly on the weekend (Rhodesian Ridgeback) :) she has just turned 3 & we take her walking on lead at a park near home. There are a few small dogs she likes to say hello too there. She saw one of her friends & went to see them & 2 other small dogs where there that we did not know & they backed away seeing a large dog, but Holly sat down & let the little dogs sniff her & then laid down also. The 2 little ones we didn't know came over seeing how well Holly was interacting with the other ones. They wanted to know what breed she was & mentioned they had never seen a large dog get on so well with the small dogs. I think Holly changed a few ideas people had about big dogs. :thumbsup: Alot of others tend to avoid large dogs at the park. :(

I have to say that my pups do play with the larger dogs :eek: and it terrifies me, especially cause they are constantly getting overpowered, there are alot of large dogs that havent been taught or learned that they need to be a bit careful, if i see any of those boisterous large ones i wont go into the dog park, that said i reserve my opinions until i see them play :)

sounds like you have a wonderful natured girl :thumbsup:

Small dog owners learn very quickly to judge each dog on its merits and that caution is warranted. I too would avoid unknown large dogs if I took my little guys to a dog park.

Its great that your girl is gentle but I know a Papillon that was killed by a Rhodesian Ridgeback.. you have to take each dog as an individual.

Holly will probably be regarded as "safe" but an owner would be unwise to view Holly as characteristic of all large dogs.

Edited by poodlefan

Sort of nothing really to do with comparing size of breeds, but my Jangels (Labrador) best mate, Zorro who is also 3 , is a Ridgey who we see frequently at our local park.

I had never had anything to do with your breed until we met Zorro.

They have so much fun together but what I love about Zorro along with his placid nature, is he has the biggest smile. :laugh:

Thinking about it though, Zorro being such a tall boy does make Jangels look short ;)

She sounds like a really lovely dog!

I love Ridgies - there's a gorgeous male at a dog park near me who is also really great with smaller dogs. My little one is very timid but especially around larger dogs, but she's actually comfortable enough around this RR to have a sniff (almost unheard of). I love seeing large dogs able to play roughly with other large dogs, and then calm down and sniff around with smaller/older or less full on dogs. :thumbsup:

Admittedly when I used to walk Oscar and a larger dog was around I used to put him back on the lead for this very reason. Only because he had been knocked over by bigger dogs in the past and because he was off lead and they run away to protect themselves I found it hard to help him or pull the bigger dog off even if they were just playing! I find this fair and understandable because it only takes one knock over from a bigger dog to destroy a little dog and it's nature towards the biggies!

Now being the owner of a big goofy Ridgie puppy I will always keep Duke on the lead when around littlies. He doesn't realise the force behind his paws with the play slaps but I do and it's my duty of care to ensure he doesn't scare the little guys. I do hope he is like Holly though with being so gentle but if seeing how he and the cat play are anything to go by I highly doubt it laugh.gif.

Now being the owner of a big goofy Ridgie puppy I will always keep Duke on the lead when around littlies. He doesn't realise the force behind his paws with the play slaps but I do and it's my duty of care to ensure he doesn't scare the little guys. I do hope he is like Holly though with being so gentle but if seeing how he and the cat play are anything to go by I highly doubt it laugh.gif.

Or, before he gets too big, introduce him to littlies who will teach him that they are not puppy play toys and need to be respected!

My friend's RR pup was over the other night and spied an elderly poodle that looked like fun. After being fixed with a steely glare by said poodle, she decided that the Whippet was a better bet. :laugh:

My first ridgie male would lie on his tummy to play with my friends tenterfield terrier. they had a ball together and he was so gentle with him.

And my current ridgie boy @ 12 months of age is very gentle as well, but he has been "trained" by my 12 1/2 yr old bitch!! :rofl:

Or, before he gets too big, introduce him to littlies who will teach him that they are not puppy play toys and need to be respected!

My friend's RR pup was over the other night and spied an elderly poodle that looked like fun. After being fixed with a steely glare by said poodle, she decided that the Whippet was a better bet. :laugh:

This is the plan PF but I will still always be cautious as I would hate to think our dog is responsible at a dog park for scary a little dog for life! Thankfully where I keep my horse they have a little Chi x & another fluffy so he will lots of play time with them and hopefully with the help of us he can learn respect! My sister also has a Pom so I might make a point of taking him to hers also.

:laugh: I bet your whippet gave it a little run for it's money!

A friend and I were complimented on how well behaved our dogs were at the beach the other weekend. Both dogs are the same height - mine is 60kg and hers is around 75kg.

Person giving the compliment even commented they were better behaved than his kelpie.

Our response was when you have dogs this big (height and weight) you have no choice to make sure they're well behaved as its not worth the risk for them not to be - especially as accidents can happen so easily.

I have to admit I am surprised at the number of small dog owners (and I mean those that are under 10kg) who let their dogs run up to my dog and get under his feet. If he stumbles/ trips then its not going to end well for their small dog.

I can't find the photo but I have one somewhere of my last dane (who was 75kg) lying down and this small breed puppy (smaller than his head!)climbing on his head, getting under his ears etc.

I can't find the photo but I have one somewhere of my last dane (who was 75kg) lying down and this small breed puppy (smaller than his head!)climbing on his head, getting under his ears etc.

I will lend you a picture :laugh:

82Kg Great Dane, 10 week old Griffon who weighed under 2kg

100_1010.jpg

I wish the owners of the Littlies would introduce there dogs to the biggies so they don't snap at there heels every time one walks past.

I have to admit I am surprised at the number of small dog owners (and I mean those that are under 10kg) who let their dogs run up to my dog and get under his feet. If he stumbles/ trips then its not going to end well for their small dog.

And yet the big dog will get the blame :mad

Some of my fosters playing... James and his 3 little girlfriends Petal, Flower, and Blossom

22-4-2010_silkyxpups_james053.jpg

James was the most gentle boy - he didn't have a nasty bone in his body. In that photo he weighs in at 35kgs and his girlfriends were 2.5 kgs...

T.