Advice Needed (changing An Adult/adoptee Dogs Name)

Kazhak

We gave our grey a new name the day she came home - she didn't seem to respond to the name she came with - my hubby and I were talking whilst she ambled around the yard and I suggested a couple of possible names and she seemed to answer to one of them immediately so Katie she became.

Goodluck finding a name that both you and your dog like.

Yep same Mags.My two greys both had a name change.Flash(who is now Stan)and Skye(who is now Maddie).Neither of mine responded to their old names either but I can say their names now only once and they look straight at me.

I'm finding this with Maggie too who's been here a week now. Dont the greyhound trainers ever call them by name :confused: I guess not.......

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We gave our grey a new name the day she came home - she didn't seem to respond to the name she came with - my hubby and I were talking whilst she ambled around the yard and I suggested a couple of possible names and she seemed to answer to one of them immediately so Katie she became.

Goodluck finding a name that both you and your dog like.

Yep same Mags.My two greys both had a name change.Flash(who is now Stan)and Skye(who is now Maddie).Neither of mine responded to their old names either but I can say their names now only once and they look straight at me.

I'm finding this with Maggie too who's been here a week now. Dont the greyhound trainers ever call them by name :confused: I guess not.......

I'm surprised the guy who owned the four you all saved even took the time to name them!I'd change it now probably brings back bad memories for her when she hears her name called. :(

Have a rescue girl whose name was Capri on surrender, the pound called her Cappy, shes now Gabby. To be honest she wouldnt care. Have a deaf rescue boy now as well, he has a hand sign for his name and its the OK sign ( Oliver). If they are food motivated its easy

Edited by Miz J

Last year we got a nine year old Newfy Rescue with the name Balcon.....I hated it and he took no notice of it. because he was not a well cared for dog in his past.

We changed it to Tobias/Toby. It took all of one day with call/ click when he looked and treat for him to come running to his name. It was a name we gave with love and the loving is more important than anything to a Rescue.

You name your new dog the name you like and it will not take long for him to get the association...Congratulations on you new dog

thanx Newfsie :)

righto so I thought I would test some names out on you all.... this is the short list of names so far, I thought I'd make a list of names I like & then when I finally meet my boy in person I can test them out on him & see if he responds to any of them..

ok here goes.

Hail

Kobe

Loki (sorry Lokilani I had been considering this one before seeing your doggies name lol but after I saw it again there I really liked it)

Tchecky

Mogwai

Splinter

having looked at some of my other fave names I have come up with a bit of a way to narrow down what I'm looking for in a name :)

between 4 & 6 letters, with 2 syllables, ends in an i sound, does not start with an a sound, something thats a little foreign sounding, possibly asian or european, hhmm I'm not being too picky am I lol.. any suggestions would be appreciated :) keep in mind though I have the feel of a name in my mind its just a matter of finding the name

Edited by Kazhak

thanx Newfsie :)

righto so I thought I would test some names out on you all.... this is the short list of names so far, I thought I'd make a list of names I like & then when I finally meet my boy in person I can test them out on him & see if he responds to any of them..

ok here goes.

Hail

Kobe

Loki (sorry Lokilani I had been considering this one before seeing your doggies name lol but after I saw it again there I really liked it)

Tchecky

Mogwai

Splinter

having looked at some of my other fave names I have come up with a bit of a way to narrow down what I'm looking for in a name :)

between 4 & 6 letters, with 2 syllables, ends in an i sound, does not start with an a sound, something thats a little foreign sounding, possibly asian or european, hhmm I'm not being too picky am I lol.. any suggestions would be appreciated :) keep in mind though I have the feel of a name in my mind its just a matter of finding the name

No need to apologise, Loki is a great name (provided they don't live up to the meaning of it too much) and my Loki was a girl, so that makes it OK :laugh:

He does have Frost in his show name, but I don't like Frosty either :)

Frost, what about Storm, Ice or Icey.

:) thanx Pax, I have considered those, even considered those in other langauges, nothing much seems to satisfy me there :)