Comfortis For Greyhound?

Flashsmum

I posted in the greyhound thread, but thought I would try here as well.

Does anyone konw if it's okay to use Comfortis on a greyhound? Harry has fleas again, and Frontline is not working. I spoke to the vet, and she is checking out whether it's okay for greys, but I thought someone here might know as well.

Ta!

Jaana

We've used Capstar on ours and never had any problems. I'd definitely recommend Advocate though (you'll need to treat for ticks with something else- we use Permoxin for that), unless there's some reason they can't have it.

From what I could find, the active ingredients are different for Capstar and Comfortis.

The product information sheets are here- http://elms.xh1.lilly.com/comfortis-product-label.pdf and http://www.capstar.novartis.us/pdf/Capstar-product-info.pdf

It might be worth Googling the active ingredient of Comfortis and see if anyone on any of the greyhound forums (like GreyTalk) have reported problems.

Does anyone konw if it's okay to use Comfortis on a greyhound? Harry has fleas again, and Frontline is not working. I spoke to the vet, and she is checking out whether it's okay for greys, but I thought someone here might know as well.

Ta!

Jaana

are you treating the yard, gardens, bedding and house at the same time ? If not you are not breaking the cycle

Yep, we're treating the whole place, but he still gets them occassionally. Hubby found some on him the other day, and often he just scratches and but we can't find any. Our dane doesn't get them at all, so I'm buggered if I can figure where he's picking them up from.

I Use Frontline, but he's still getting them from somewhere.

Ta!

Jaana

are you treating the yard, gardens, bedding and house at the same time ? If not you are not breaking the cycle

That was my thought as well. How are you treating his bedding, yard etc?

We wash the bedding in hot water, then spray with a flea spray, had the yard and under house sprayed, have timber floors, so washed all the rugs in hot water and flea sprayed them, and mop the floors regularly with lavender oil and hot water.

Whitney never seems to have them, so I'm thnking Harry picks them up on our walks, and they just love him. She never has any on her, and we walk them together.

I love Comfortis for my greyhounds. A friend put me onto it last year and we have been flea free. I had huge issues with Advantix - my girl is allergic so I was very nervous about a new product.

Vets Products Direct is 40% cheaper than my vet though.

Frontline became less effective when they changed the formula to add the tick stuff to it. I don't know why but a lot of vets on the east coast will say it just doesnt work as well anymore. I use Advantix. I don't have greys though.