Vasectomies/tubals

Would find it useful for my own purposes and to assist friends rescuing large breed puppies to have an Australia wide list of vets who will do vasectomies/tubals. Similar to the list we have for repro vets. Maybe if we can get a decent list together we can get this pinned or put into the knowledge base area.

South Australia

Dr Chris Girling: Noah's Crossing Vet, Lewiston SA ph 08 8524 2260

Dr Rebekah French: Animalia Clinic Evanston Gardens SA

Victoria

Stewart Mason will do them from 12 weeks: Monash Vet - Oakleigh East

Main St Vets, Bairnsdale

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

Does anyone know what the cost is? Is it comparitive to full desexing? I am thinking about it for the girl I have going to a pet home, however it seems the earliest age is around 12 weeks, so I would need to keep her with me longer which I don't have a problem doing.

Does anyone know what the cost is? Is it comparitive to full desexing? I am thinking about it for the girl I have going to a pet home, however it seems the earliest age is around 12 weeks, so I would need to keep her with me longer which I don't have a problem doing.

I'm not sure on cost, I will find out.

The bitch will still have seasons, so it's not an answer to de-sexing.

I'm not sure on cost, I will find out.

The bitch will still have seasons, so it's not an answer to de-sexing.

Thanks Sway. I was aware that they will still have seasons, it was just a way to prevent someone breeding from her, but still letting her grow and develop with the ovaries still in place.

Thanks for checking prices for me.

I had 15 pups done last year in Bairnsdale Vic and was charged $170 per pup, which is a dsicounted rate I think. I needed to have one done on an older pup up here in QLD. I rang around all the vets in the area, from hervey bay, Maryborough, Childers and Bundaberg. Not many would do it but the ones that did I was quoted from $1000 (yes thats right, $1000!)from one vet in HB, approx $400 and $350 (i think one in Maryborough and one in childers) and $165 at Sugarland Vet Clinic in Bundaberg. I went to Bundaberg and had it done there, no issues :) But as I said most would not do it and the prices vary greatly.

ETA: The pups I had done were between 7-8 weeks. As long as they weighed atleast a kilo which they did. And I have to say those pups bounced back so quick. There was none of this laying around feeling sorry for themselves like older dogs do. Got them home and they behaved like nothing had even happened.

Edited by Kaffy Magee

I had 15 pups done last year in Bairnsdale Vic and was charged $170 per pup, which is a dsicounted rate I think. I needed to have one done on an older pup up here in QLD. I rang around all the vets in the area, from hervey bay, Maryborough, Childers and Bundaberg. Not many would do it but the ones that did I was quoted from $1000 (yes thats right, $1000!)from one vet in HB, approx $400 and $350 (i think one in Maryborough and one in childers) and $165 at Sugarland Vet Clinic in Bundaberg. I went to Bundaberg and had it done there, no issues :) But as I said most would not do it and the prices vary greatly.

ETA: The pups I had done were between 7-8 weeks. As long as they weighed atleast a kilo which they did. And I have to say those pups bounced back so quick. There was none of this laying around feeling sorry for themselves like older dogs do. Got them home and they behaved like nothing had even happened.

Thanks Kaffe Magee, I am only an hour from Bairnsdale, can you remember which vet?

"Not many would do it but the ones that did I was quoted from $1000" ( :eek: Holy crap, were they going to use gold thread?)

Thanks Kaffe Magee, I am only an hour from Bairnsdale, can you remember which vet?

"Not many would do it but the ones that did I was quoted from $1000" ( :eek: Holy crap, were they going to use gold thread?)

A grand does seem rather expensive- but gees what were the Bundaberg vets doing to get it so cheap?? (not saying they are shonky but wow they must live on baked beans!!)

Edited by ~Woofen~

Hi Poodlesrule,

Main st vets :)

Woofen, my local vet also charged the same as Bundaberg and I have also heard of them being around the $200 mark in areas of melbourne. I am led to believe a vasectomy isnt a lot different to a castration, just a bit more fiddlier.

I believe the vets that quoted me $1000 are more expensive in general and also push desexing, as they tried to with me. I think they quoted me that price so I would cave in and desex. I told them what I had previously been charged and asked why its so expensive and was told they use proper clamps from the hospital and some other lame excuse. Rightooo ;)

Hi Poodlesrule,

Woofen, my local vet also charged the same as Bundaberg and I have also heard of them being around the $200 mark in areas of melbourne. I am led to believe a vasectomy isnt a lot different to a castration, just a bit more fiddlier.

I believe the vets that quoted me $1000 are more expensive in general and also push desexing, as they tried to with me. I think they quoted me that price so I would cave in and desex. I told them what I had previously been charged and asked why its so expensive and was told they use proper clamps from the hospital and some other lame excuse. Rightooo ;)

I was just considering the time- ie a vet nurse $15/hr, the vet should be being paid in excess of $25/hr, the cost of the equipment and facilities, the drugs to put a decent size puppy under.... But most vets do desexing at a loss just to get people to do it so I am guessing your vet used the same logic.

Although I can imagine human grad clamps would cost a bucket (I know what a titanium screw costs lmao)!!

Hi Poodlesrule,

Thanks for that, I spoke to my vet last night and while he has only done one before, it would be the same as the cost of a normal desex. However, they now wait till around 12 weeks.

There is quite a few vets around Brisbane that are now doing them.

Gerry King at Greencross Moreton/Redbank plains has been doing them for a few years for me. Contact no. 07 3814 3333

Other breeders I know have had them done at vets on the Northside of Brisbane and Sunshine Coast as well. Prices have ranged from $150 -$250.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Having pups that are well sought after by byb and those creating designer dogs I am thinking about this option before letting pups go.

Does anyone know of vets doing this surgery on the other side of Melbourne ? I have contacted Cragieburn Animal Hospital but they don't provide this type of surgery.