Teaching Puppy Consequences For Disobedience

My 15 week old puppy is good at most times, however sometimes he will not listen to a stern "no". I have never smacked him or punished him as he is too young and do the whole diversion and get him interested in something else. However, I was wondering at what age should you teach a pup that there are consequences if they are repeatedly disobedient.

I was told in a training class I attended with my pup that if they are constantly jumping on guests, what she does is tell the dog "no" then leash him to something and ignored for 2mins. But I'm unsure if at his age that is too young (or if he will associate the punishment with the "crime").

I was also told to do the whole rolled up newspaper trick which doesn't hurt the dog, but creates a loud noise.

What are your thoughts on this??

He could be "disobedient" because he doesn't fully understand what you are asking him too do, given he is a young puppy I wouldn't be punishing him at all. I don't smack my dogs ever regardless of age because of disobedience, if I was smacking anyone it would be me for not training them well enough ;)

With him jumping on people, I would completely ignore the bad behaviour and massively reward the good (4 paws on floor). Don't tie him up, just ignore him and as soon as he stops jumping reward. He will pick up pretty quick which is the better behaviour :)

I don't think it's even possible to be 'disobedient' at 15 weeks. Disobedience means he knows exactly what you want him to do, and then goes and does something else 'just because'.

For a puppy that age I would just apply some good management skills so that he can't form bad habits, and then reward him whenever he behaves the way you want.

And I agree with above, I never smack my dogs, in fact I never use positive punishment at all. If I say 'NO!' it's as an interruptor when I NEED to stop what they are doing, as in their health is at stake. The rest of the time I teach them what I want them to do, use some negative punishment (removal of privileges or withholding something they want) and just manage them so they can't behave badly. Management is temporary while you train whatever behaviour it is out of them.

Such as closing the bedroom door while you can't supervise so they can't jump up on the bed, then do training sessions with them in the bedroom where you reward them for good behaviour, or if you're teaching them not to pull, you use a no pull harness or head collar while they're in training, so that they can't pull while they are still learning.

Edited by fuzzy82

for jumping up .... your pup is a small dog breed? You carried/carry it around? have it on your lap?

Well all it is doing is trying to get your attention so you will pick it up :) something you probably did on the first day! Puppy put paws on your leg ..and you scooped it up?

Reward pup ONLY when 4 paws are on the ground. ALWAYS. NO talking or looking at if it jumps/bounces. Turn around /away..or walk away . NO SOUND., and EVERY time. Shortly after that - when you see pup with 4 paws grounded- then pat/ scratch/treat . BUT NOT lift pup up ...

Usually ignoring the bad behaviour and rewarding good behaviour is sufficient for a young pup. A squirt of water can stop some undesired behaviour but again you would then need to redirect.

Thanks for the inputs. The main problem is not with him jumping. We've trained him not to go in the garden bed as it is "out of bounds" and he understands this. If he lurks in there, we say "out" and he knows to move to the other side (we see him walking right on the edge of the lawn for the past 6 weeks we've had him). But this time I discovered him in the garden bed and I said "out" and he just stood there looking at me. Then I discovered he's dug a hole in there but I dind't reprimand him for that since I didn't catch him in the act. He just ran off but up and down the garden bed even though I kept saying "out". Then to top it off, he went back to his hole and dug there and I said "no" firmly and he went again running around in the garden bed not listening to the "out" command I've given him. He just kept going back and forth from running around and digging not listening to the "no" or "out" command. I then eventually turned around and walked towards the house and that's when he stopped. I figured he must've thought it was a game (that's why I didn't want to chase him around). I usually turn around and ignore the jumping anyway but being a puppy, its hard for him to restrain his excitement at times.

Its not a big problem as pups will be pups..but it was a question about teaching a dog consequences in regards to disobedience and how you guys go about it (and at what age).

FYI: I was just doing some reading just now on this forum and found this post by K9Pro: http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/117592-puppy-development-calender/

• Selective deafness? (5-9 Months)

It's no surprise to see puppies pretend not to hear your known commands at this age. It's at this age we introduce more formal training including consequences for disobedience.

I guess maybe I found my answer?

My 2 year old does the same ... he will dig a hole, get told off and as soon as you turn your back he is back into it.

Gardens have been fenced off and he is given an area which we allow digging. Any holes that are dug in areas we don't want (such as a tunnel under the pavers) as fill with poo.

Usually ignoring the bad behaviour and rewarding good behaviour is sufficient for a young pup.

:thumbsup:

I would say at 15 weeks, there is a good chance your pup does not really understand he is not allowed in the garden.

As you mentioned, pups will often think it is a game. Be careful as this will reinforce the behaviour you do not want. I have also had this problem recently - so I had to change what I was doing!!

To help with you answer about consequences, this can be as simple as what you are already doing to stop jumping - the consequence is being ignored. Another example is if they bite the consequence is you stop play.

At 15 weeks - the scent/tactile feel rewards of digging in the garden will FAR outweigh a human standing there making weird noises at him- sorry. Where else does he have in which to dig? Does he have a sand pit or clam shell? I suggest he has an alternative - in which he can dig/play freely .... something which has some toys/treats buried in - so he can play :)

Edited by persephone

"NO" means nothing to a dog.

It's far easier to teach a dog what you want than to teach it what you don't want.

Substituting the behaviour you want for undesired behaviour works way better than "no".

If you don't want him in parts of the garden, I suggest you fence them off.

Best thing I ever did was invest in one of those little plastic half shell kiddies pools and fill it with sand. Ozkar came home and the first things he explored was his new sandpit. Then, whenever I caught him digging anywhere other than the sandpit, I picked him up and put him in his sandpit and praised him. It seemed to work after a very short period, the sandpit was where he dug.

Another trick is to fill the holes with their own fresh poo. SOund yukky, but it tends to stop them diggin in that spot.

From the first day I had my puppy home, strict instructions were that he was to get nothing eg. food, pats, let through the door,any attention at all, until he had all four feet on the ground. He caught on pretty quick that the best way to get what he wanted was to remain calm. My ten YO granddaughter visited last week & I gave her this instruction, but he was way too excited & it didn't work (especially with her screaming & waving her hands in the air as kids do) :mad . So I told her to put some old cloths on & armed her with a pocket full of yummy treats. Then she staid still while he jumped & as soon as he put all 4 feet on the ground, I clicked & she treated. He caught on very quick, then I told her to get down to his level as a reward. Wish I could get more visitors so I could repeat this excercise with strangers. ;)

Half clam shell is a great idea! Don't think I can fence off my garden bed as there's a fair bit as it goes right around my property for aesthetics and practicality reasons.

Oskar, where did you go to get one of those sandpits and how much are they roughly?

I know what you mean Sheena...I wish there were more strangers I can practice his "no jumping" behaviour with. I think next time we have guests over, I will have to tell them what to do before they walk in the door. Sometimes my pup will sit on all fours then when we go to reward him with pats, he starts jumping again out of excitement..silly pup. :laugh:

Half clam shell is a great idea! Don't think I can fence off my garden bed as there's a fair bit as it goes right around my property for aesthetics and practicality reasons.

Oskar, where did you go to get one of those sandpits and how much are they roughly?

I know what you mean Sheena...I wish there were more strangers I can practice his "no jumping" behaviour with. I think next time we have guests over, I will have to tell them what to do before they walk in the door. Sometimes my pup will sit on all fours then when we go to reward him with pats, he starts jumping again out of excitement..silly pup. :laugh:

When he does this, you immediately stop walking towards him & wait for him to sit again, even break eye contact. Have you done any focus training with him, like the slow treats & NILIF (nothing in life is free)

Edited by sheena

I'm wondering how often the puppy gets rewarded for staying off the garden bed in the first place. Something you thought the puppy had learned is quickly forgotten if you don't maintain it, ie continue to reward what you do want.

For holes - I tend to put a bit of her own dog poo in the hole and cover it over.

And it's really important not to get the back chaining of - if I do something naughty/dig we get a cool game of chase me with the boss. Maybe the boss should play some games when the puppy is being good.

Or there is the redirect - ie be really fun and exciting over here so the puppy comes away from the digging hole and does something good with you, and then you can treat the hole with dog repellant.

And it's good to have a designated place for digging as the others have said.

Susan Garrett is doing a puppy training online thing at the moment, well worth joining up if you have these kinds of problems and need to come up with ways of solving them that do not involve punishing your dog.

Punishment - other than withholding a reward - can have unexpected consequences. Most of the time the dog will not connect the "correction" with what you want it to do instead.

Kmart, bunnings, big w all have them, about $20-$30.

Join a dog training club - it will be full of "strangers" willing to help you with this AND you'll get a lot of practical assistance with training it.

In the meantime, put puppy on lead when guests come. He can't jump on them if he can't reach them.