Another What Breed Thread

All of my Aussies have an off switch, in fact Dusty doesn't seem to have much of an on switch. She seems to have missed out on the part that said active and intelligent. She's more snuggly and a bit dopey but totally gorgeous. More your supermodel type.

The others though, are just awesomely good at knowing when to turn it on and when to turn it off. Easy care coats too, despite the length. They don't mat, a good brush once a week keeps them looking nice and a bath every few weeks keeps them smelling sweet.

Since losing Benson, I've looked at other breeds. Went for a wander at a dog show yesterday specifically to see if any other breed appealed, but they don't. The Aussies have set the bar for me, and nothing else measures up.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am never one to advise of my breed in these sorts of threads, but seriously, it sounds to me like a Rottweiler bitch would suit you down to the ground.

Rottweilers are an all round working breed. The excel in obedience, agility, herding, tracking, endurance, flyball and make an exceptional family pet. They are tough and strong yet biddable and form incredible bonds with their owners. One from the right lines will have an off switch and be super social. All mine have had off switches, but drive can be easily developed also.

They have varying levels of drive which is easily distinguished as a baby puppy.

I say bitch only because they are usually a little smaller and more compact and therefore get around agility courses a little easier, but males manage well also.

They have amazing endurance and can work all day or are equally happy cuddled up on the couch.

Mine have all been very affectionate.

Wash and wear coat, low maintenance. They can tolerate nearly any weather conditions. Easy to train.

Personally when purchasing a new puppy I look for low to medium drive, and then develop it to suit my requirements in working. It's all about what suits the individual owner.

Best of luck with whatever you decide. :)

Good working dogs have an off switch :)

I think a pointer type might suit you - GSP or Vizsla are my favs. I know many that are successful agility dogs, they are a gundog type which you seem to like, can handle rough play from a Lab.

My Kelpie will play rough with my GSD but not any other dog - he is not keen on in your face Labs, and he is a big boy at 20kgs, a smaller Kelpie could be injured with body slams.

ETA: My working line Kelpie has a much better off switch than my rescue Kelpie X, much better temperament too.

Edited by Kavik

I own 3 border collies girls, 2 from working lines and 1 from show lines. The show lines girl is the only one without an off switch! She can be really annoying in the house, and she seems to only sleep at night otherwise wants to play non stop! The other 2 if not much is happening they curl up quietly and nap. They get lots of exercise and training. If you ask the working girls to do anything they will be up for it and give you 110% all the time. On eof them does like to be with me all the time but if I am working at home during the day which I do sometimes she will just lie quietly at my feet.

Koolie- this is my ideal choice for my next sports dog!!! They come in 3 different coat types, beautiful colours, really agile so perfectly ssuited to agility, flyball etc, really smart dogs but not as obsessive as borders can be, very versatile dogs. Hardy enough to play with larger dogs, there are a few at agility that play with my labrador and don't mind a bit of rough and tumble.

Weim/GSP/Viszla may also be suitable, they are also very athletic and should be able to handle a lab. GSPs in particular are quite common in the agility ring.

Kelpie or BC- obviously the typical sports dogs for a good reason. Abundant in rescue as well sadly :( I love borders, i think they are really pretty but I've decided now i'm only gonna do short hair :D I like the two-tone kelpies and they seem to be the most common in dog sports (probably form working lines- you didn't want that did u?).

Aussie- gorgeous dogs just make sure you get a more active one as you can get some really laid back and calm ones-great for pets, but probably not so good for dog sports. Aussies do excel at dogs sports though, I find the temperament to be quite lab-like actually. They love their rough play as well.

My lab has played with all of the above breeds (but she is a light girl at 25kg).

How serious are you about dog sports? If you're really serious then I wouldn't dicount a working line dog. Drive doesn't always = high energy.

I'm also thinking about getting a more serious sport dog in the future, will wait until my handling at agility improves though :laugh: I'm deciding between a Koolie and a rescue kelpie/BC/koolie.

Also want a working line labrador for SAR and/or retrieving :D

Edited by aussielover

Another breed to consider is a Dalmatian. Very people oriented, food driven so rewards are usually reasonably easy to deliver, love to run and jump so can be great for sports like agility, but just as willing to snuggle with you on the lounge in the evening. Not always ball oriented though so may need to be taught to retrieve (using food rewards this isnt hard).

post-5072-0-97173200-1310942593_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-48510900-1310942617_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-86322300-1310942647_thumb.jpg

Don't write off the ACD. I know many think they are prone to dog aggression, and can be unstable, bitey dogs. There are plenty of them around!

However there are some lines which are not the stereotype. Your more than welcome to come and meet some of them :)

Like MRB said, they have an off switch. Yet when switched on have huge amounts of play/prey drive.

Very intelligent, I remember Keith Edwards (agility judge) saying just how much intelligence my deaf girl had. Constantly problem solving to work out what we were asking of her.

People focused, but not clingy. They do bond to one person, but separation anxiety issues never seem to arise.

Robust enough to play with any dog. At herding people assume they will be too hard on the sheep, yet neither of the two ACD's I have been herding have touched the sheep in that way. In the last few weeks I have seen beardies and Aussies be 10 times harder on the sheep. A good herding dog doesn't just chase the animals to satisfy their own drive, but understand the task at hand and apply appropriate pressure to the stock.

After seeing sheep twice the 12 month old I have been taking did enough to get a HT pass at training.

The number one thing that makes these dogs so trainable is their resilience, they just keep trying. I'd never describe them as high strung.

I just love them to bits :)

Another breed to consider is a Dalmatian. Very people oriented, food driven so rewards are usually reasonably easy to deliver, love to run and jump so can be great for sports like agility, but just as willing to snuggle with you on the lounge in the evening. Not always ball oriented though so may need to be taught to retrieve (using food rewards this isnt hard).

From what I've read on here from successful Dally owners in sports they would not be as easy to train or keep focussed as the other breeds mentioned

If you're looking for s dog for sports, why not go to some trials & have a look around.

I think with some breeds, different lines can be as different to each other as another breed.

It's so hard to recommend a breed & not be biased by individuals within it that you know or own. These threads are full of generalizations that are often not representative of a breed.

I could tell you that 50% of the GSDs I've seen in agility are basically crippled...but I've only seen 6 so hardly a big enough sample to pass judgement on.

I could tell you that coolies are either super soft couch potatoes or manic with no off switch at all but I know a few who are somewhere between these 2 extremes.

I could tell you that kelpies bark incessantly both on & off course but many don't.

The gap between the lowest & highest drive BCs you will see in agility is expansive & often not any kind of representation of how they are to live with.

I see a lot of consistency in the GSPs & Vizslas in agility but since most of them are from the same lines, I couldn't tell you if they are indicative of the breeds as a whole.

I would go have a look around...you will know what you want when you see it :)

I have a now 7 month Vizsla pup with the intention of dog sports. He is awesome! :love: Incredibly intelligent and he has the perfect amount of drive for me right now. He's sooo much fun to train, it's very exciting to watch him develop. He's certainly people focused, they aren't called 'the velcro Vizsla' for nothing! His playmate at home is a Great Dane and he certainly handles himself and has done since day 1 in our house :laugh: I'm having a lot of fun with him, I could easily have another or two ;)

From what I've read on here from successful Dally owners in sports they would not be as easy to train or keep focussed as the other breeds mentioned

Depends what the OP wants. If they want to be really successful at dog sports, I would suggest a Border Collie from working lines. If they want to have fun, then a Dally is fantastic. I have found them to be very responsive and driven to please, though they do tend to go off on a tangent at times LOL! Unlike many high driven dogs that would be excellent at dog sports though they do have a definite off switch. Having baby sat a friends Viszla's for example, the Dallies are far less exhausting IMO. To me the Dallies offered a balance - maybe not the top breed if all you are interested in is their sporting ability, but very capable at dog sports while still being a relaxed and snuggly dog in the house, having a short easy care coat and capable of living happily with a breed such as a Labrador or GSD - which is the reason I suggested them for consideration along with the other breeds mentioned.

I have a now 7 month Vizsla pup with the intention of dog sports. He is awesome! :love: Incredibly intelligent and he has the perfect amount of drive for me right now. He's sooo much fun to train, it's very exciting to watch him develop. He's certainly people focused, they aren't called 'the velcro Vizsla' for nothing! His playmate at home is a Great Dane and he certainly handles himself and has done since day 1 in our house :laugh: I'm having a lot of fun with him, I could easily have another or two ;)

I've always admired the Vizlas. Another breed not mentioned yet that would be suitable is the Tollers.

Portuguese Water Dog would fit the bill. So people orientated it's not funny. Very good off switch. Hardy once grown. Smart. Love to learn things (especially things you don't want them to know). Fast for agility, neat and tidy for obedience.

Don't freak about the coat - with the wavy coats if you clip them short every 6 weeks there really is virtually no other grooming required. I believe the curlies are a bit different, but clipping solves most problems :laugh:

My pick you've already got on your list. Kelpie.

if you were in Qld, AWL on the Gold Coast has a few fabulous kelpies at the moment.

O/T, but AWL Qld is having a special screening of 'Red Dog', the new movie about a kelpie, to raise funds. The canine star will be attending.

At this stage I'm only interested in a puppy from a reputable breeder. That is a avenue I will definitly explore in the future though. (And I'll have to check of Red Dog! I saw a poster for it the other day)

My GSP has titles in Flyball, Agility, and Obedience. Previous GSPs were mainly obedience and one breed champion, also non-slip retrieving (so if you get a gundog you have another avenue of competition available).

There is no other definition of easy care coat!

I can't understand that you have met GSPs not interested in their owners -- all I have met who live in a family situation (ie not show dogs from large kennels) are devoted house dogs and like nothing better than a handy lap to curl up on.

However, like most breeds, they have their own play style -- usually running full speed and jumping over each other while they run! Not sure they would appreciate body slamming -- my girl would be most offended.

Similarly most border collies I have met like to play with other border collies.

Can you visit a few agility trials and see whether you like the working styles of the various breeds you are interested in?

The GSPs I have met have all been in off leash situations, and they where far far more interested in running after the nearest dog/bird/gust of wind than their owners. Guess I sort of discounted them for this reason, but thinking about it, its probably a lack of training on the owners part, I've never seen one in a house enviroment! I will have to add them back to my list and start doing a bit more research. I'm partial to the gundogs :D The idea of a Gundog breed that I could compete with in a formal retrieving sport is interesting, but not something I know a lot about.

Giant Schnauzers fit the ,bill so long as they've had their daily exercise they are happy couch potatoes. They have been bred to be a versatile breed, I have done show, obedience, agility and tracking with my old girl and will be working more towards show and IPO with the new pup.

The hard coated dogs need very little coat care and have minimal shedding (would need a clip/trim every 3 months and if you hand stripped the coat, just half an hour a week working on the body coat)

Play style tends to be some running, body slamming and standing up on back legs to 'box' if the other dog is up for that too. They tend to shape their play style to suit the other dog.

They have a different work style to BCs and GSD, in that they won't do things just to please you ad won't keep repeating the same exercise (they like to get it right first time!) so training should be kept varied and fun and if you want to practise eg the present, then it should be worked into the daily activities instead of doing 10 minutes of just the present as the giant will get bored and start to try alternative ways instead of trying to improve!

Hadn't even considered a schnauzer! My aunty has a mini who is a real charactor. Never seen one doing Obedience or Agility, guess that are not the most common breed. Not sure if they really appeal to me on a more personal level :o, looks and coat wise. I will have a look though.

All of my Aussies have an off switch, in fact Dusty doesn't seem to have much of an on switch. She seems to have missed out on the part that said active and intelligent. She's more snuggly and a bit dopey but totally gorgeous. More your supermodel type.

The others though, are just awesomely good at knowing when to turn it on and when to turn it off. Easy care coats too, despite the length. They don't mat, a good brush once a week keeps them looking nice and a bath every few weeks keeps them smelling sweet.

Since losing Benson, I've looked at other breeds. Went for a wander at a dog show yesterday specifically to see if any other breed appealed, but they don't. The Aussies have set the bar for me, and nothing else measures up.

I was so sad to hear about Benson :( He sounded like such a awesome dog.

I know what you mean about your own breed setting the bar. I find myself comparing other breeds to my own guys and its hard to measure up. I would have thought that with a coat like they have, that the Aussie would shed a exceptional amount? Its interesting to hear that the coats are easy care, I has assumed otherwise.

I am never one to advise of my breed in these sorts of threads, but seriously, it sounds to me like a Rottweiler bitch would suit you down to the ground.

Rottweilers are an all round working breed. The excel in obedience, agility, herding, tracking, endurance, flyball and make an exceptional family pet. They are tough and strong yet biddable and form incredible bonds with their owners. One from the right lines will have an off switch and be super social. All mine have had off switches, but drive can be easily developed also.

They have varying levels of drive which is easily distinguished as a baby puppy.

I say bitch only because they are usually a little smaller and more compact and therefore get around agility courses a little easier, but males manage well also.

They have amazing endurance and can work all day or are equally happy cuddled up on the couch.

Mine have all been very affectionate.

Wash and wear coat, low maintenance. They can tolerate nearly any weather conditions. Easy to train.

Personally when purchasing a new puppy I look for low to medium drive, and then develop it to suit my requirements in working. It's all about what suits the individual owner.

Best of luck with whatever you decide. :)

I will be getting a male, for personal preference as well as the fact I like to keep my dogs entire till they are at least a year old and I have absolutely no desire to deal with a female going through her season. Especially not with a young entire GSD hanging around the place! :laugh:

They have never been a breed that appealed to me on a personal level, they are lovely but not what Ive looked for in a dog previously. I have met quite a few that have been really great dogs. I may have to keep a eye out for them at shows/trials, to see if the way the work and move really appeals to me.

This is what I have found also, especially reading from some of the Dally owners here on DOL. Doesn't sound like a breed I am quite ready to handle yet :o

(the BF loves them though :laugh: He went all gooey over the photos)

If you're looking for s dog for sports, why not go to some trials & have a look around.

I think with some breeds, different lines can be as different to each other as another breed.

It's so hard to recommend a breed & not be biased by individuals within it that you know or own. These threads are full of generalizations that are often not representative of a breed.

I could tell you that 50% of the GSDs I've seen in agility are basically crippled...but I've only seen 6 so hardly a big enough sample to pass judgement on.

I could tell you that coolies are either super soft couch potatoes or manic with no off switch at all but I know a few who are somewhere between these 2 extremes.

I could tell you that kelpies bark incessantly both on & off course but many don't.

The gap between the lowest & highest drive BCs you will see in agility is expansive & often not any kind of representation of how they are to live with.

I see a lot of consistency in the GSPs & Vizslas in agility but since most of them are from the same lines, I couldn't tell you if they are indicative of the breeds as a whole.

I would go have a look around...you will know what you want when you see it :)

That is true and really good advice, thank you :)!

I will ask around to see where and when the nearest trials are so I can go have a look. There are more silly preferences like how a dog looks, how they move. This sort of thing will be much easier to see in a trialing environment.

I had a G S Pointer when i was a teenager.She was very affectionate ,loved everyone and was a real sook at times.She was moderately active and happy to relax indoors.

My daughters friends have a Doberman .He is always looking to play or go for a walk.He gets walked twice a day and played with in the yard he is quiet indoors but always eager to get out and play a game or go for a run.

I think a Curly coated retriever may suit you.While they can seem aloof with strangers until they get to know them;they are very affectionate to their owners and like to be with them.

they can be very active when needed but are quite relaxed indoors.Their coat is easy care,wash and go .

Others to look at would be Boxer and Rottweiler.A lot depends on what activities you want to do with your dog.

OOps ........Forgot to mention......WEIMARANERS....Great dogs.

Edited by budgiew

He sounds lovely. I believe I need some photos, for research purposes of course ;)!

Out of curiosity, how is he with strangers and strange dogs? The Vizlas I have met have seemed somewhat flighty/nervy as a whole. Always on edge.

Depends what the OP wants. If they want to be really successful at dog sports, I would suggest a Border Collie from working lines. If they want to have fun, then a Dally is fantastic. I have found them to be very responsive and driven to please, though they do tend to go off on a tangent at times LOL! Unlike many high driven dogs that would be excellent at dog sports though they do have a definite off switch. Having baby sat a friends Viszla's for example, the Dallies are far less exhausting IMO. To me the Dallies offered a balance - maybe not the top breed if all you are interested in is their sporting ability, but very capable at dog sports while still being a relaxed and snuggly dog in the house, having a short easy care coat and capable of living happily with a breed such as a Labrador or GSD - which is the reason I suggested them for consideration along with the other breeds mentioned.

This is interesting, I had discounted Dallys under the assumption that they would be a really difficult dog to train, and Im definitely not that great a trainer (Yet ;)!). I am not interested in just dog sports, a breed that will be an all rounder is more what I want. But I want a dog who will excel in the sports that I do compete it. I'm not against a bit of a challenge in training, but I don't want to pick a breed that's really over my head.

Portuguese Water Dog would fit the bill. So people orientated it's not funny. Very good off switch. Hardy once grown. Smart. Love to learn things (especially things you don't want them to know). Fast for agility, neat and tidy for obedience.

Don't freak about the coat - with the wavy coats if you clip them short every 6 weeks there really is virtually no other grooming required. I believe the curlies are a bit different, but clipping solves most problems :laugh:

The coat is what worries me here, Im not interested in having to get my dog clipped often. Is there really no grooming reuqired? I would have thought a coat like that, matting would be a issue without regular grooming. Plus the need to get it clipped because they don't shed. Really just seems like too much coat and trouble for me! (Though having a dog who doesn't add to the tumbleweeds I already get when the Lab and GSD decide its shedding time would be nice :thumbsup:)

Edited by lovemesideways

Labs and gsds shed WAY more than Aussies lol

If the op just wanted to have fun then they could get any breed. I was under the impression that they were after a more serious sport dog prospect

They shed so much :cry: :cry:!

I'm somewhere in the middle as far as what I want to do with my dog goes. Yes I am looking for a breed that is going to excel in the sports I will compete in with them so a couch potato dog is not really appealing to me. But I'm also after a dog who will happily live a life of luxury snoozing on the couch or rug whilst I waste time on DOL ;) I have 2 medium-high energy dogs (well 3 temporarily) here currently so another will fit right in.

I am not that great a trainer yet, and I am not going to pick a breed or dog that is over my head as far as skill in training goes.

I have Border Collies and will make a comment that while they don't mind rough play they seem to take offense to the super in your face nature of some of the gundog breeds. Having said that my youngsters best friend would be a very in your face toller :rofl: - but she has to set the boundaries first.

The would certainly fit well with the rest of your criteria. Drive levels vary somewhat but if you ask around and find a good breeder they should be able to match you with a pup of suitable levels.

Size wise I would be worried about how a border would really deal with the sort of rough play the Lab and GSD get up to. The full on, 40+ kilo shepherd racing up to the 30 kilo lab, only to be body slammed away with a very audible thud. Their play style, just from the dogs I have met personally, doesn't seem like it would mesh well with this?

:D love the photos. They are another dog I just love the look of. What is their coat like also? Seems like there is a wide variety in Border Collie coats.

If body slamming play is a requirement then get an Aussie. They play like that but Border Collies never do and take great offence at it.

Coat on both breeds is pretty easy. They shed twice a year not every day like Labs and GSDs. A monthly bath and half an hour brush per week is fine for most Borders and Aussies.