Odd Smell Suddenly On Dog's Fur

Our dog generally doesn't smell. She has almost no doggy odour, so when a smell does appear we really notice it. It's happend a couple of times before, and again today, that a strange smell emerges from the skin on her lower back and hips area. It smells kind of metallic, but more unpleasant than that, sort of sour and 'off'. It can waft quite far. Oddly, it seems to get progressively worse over a few hours or days, then goes away.

We initially presumed it was due to playing in the mud (she's half Hippo) in a rather icky dog park after a lot of rain, but it's been raining so much this week that we haven't taken her. She's been fresh as a daisy all day, and we were playing with her and brushing her in the lounge room for quite a while this evening with no issue, then suddenly the unpleasant sour metallic smell emerged again, as if from nowhere.

What could it be?! Has anyone come across such a thing? It really seems to be coming from the skin on her rump. We have had a good sniff around (I mean, really, we have!) and it's nowhere else on her. She's healthy, etc.

:shrug:

Edited by UltimatePup

Has she ever had trouble with anal glands, generally dogs excrete a fluid (foul smelling) from their anal glands but sometimes they need a little help and the glands have to be squeezed. How old is your pup and what breed is she?

heres the wiki on Anal glands have a read if you don't already know about them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_gland

I have 4 dogs and only one of them has had a problem which has ben combatted with a slight change in diet, sometimes they need more fibre to help them secrete the fluid of their own accord.

Thanks, we will look into that. I was hoping someone might recognise the smell from the description!

Strange, though, that her actual butt and girl bits don't seem to smell. It's more from the muscular area over her hips, as though it's in her fur there. It doesn't make sense, though, that it would appear there suddenly, so anal glands might be what it's about.

BTW, she's a 9 month old Golden Retriever. We feed a lot of raw including bone, plus Canidae Salmon, a bit of veg and egg.

my dog gets that smell too but its not from his anal glands its just a weird smellhe gets on his skin and our vet thinks its nothing serious as I hae had him checked out.He is 2 and it has happened twice now at diff times of the year

some dogs do smell more so then others. Buddy my mum and I male golden retriever stinks he produces alot of doggy odourI mean alot. We have tryed changing diets etc but that didn't work, even 5 minutes after a good bath he stinks again. We have just learnt to live with it, Buddy can't help it and we try our best to make him smell nice. We often warn guests when they go to pat him.

Shelley my female golden retriever doe2sn't have much a smell not noticable much unless you stink your nose right into her coat. I normally bath Shelley once a month, Buddy not so much as he is prone to ear infections even 1 drop in his ear is enough to trigger a infection, So I normally get Buddy done by a groomer every couple of months.

I too thought anal glands, Have you checked your goldens skin as there known to get allergies,skin irritactions,scratching of the skin alot could cause a bad smell. Also does her hair seem thin in that area cause goldens are also known to get hot spots which can smell badly.

The smell you have described is def her anal glands, unfortunately I know it all too well ;)

One of my Kelpies is on a raw diet but still has trouble with hers, we think there is an underlying structural abnormality.

Edited by cmkelpie